What oil to run in 2.3 liter Explorer | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What oil to run in 2.3 liter Explorer

my FCA car needs the requirements of penzoil plat ultra, so I have just starting using penzoil plat ultra on the EX and my Ram... 🤷 whatever. We usually do an oil change in the fall and one in the spring which leads to 4-7k between each and usually before the "change" oil light is on. As long as the warranty stays, and you actually change your oil, you're doing pretty good.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

All the Explorer engines have a capacity of 5.2 qt or 4.9 L with the filter according to the Manual. Same as the 2020 Explorer.

Peter
Not true. The 2.3L takes 5.2 quarts with an oil filter change. The 3.0L, 3.3L gasoline engine and the 3.3L hybrid electric take 6.0 quarts with an oil filter change.

Not true. The 2.3L takes 5.2 quarts with an oil filter change. The 3.0L, 3.3L gasoline engine and the 3.3L hybrid electric take 6.0 quarts with an oil filter change.
Don't shoot the messenger. That is what the Owner's Manual stated.
1610993981494.png

Peter

my owner's manual shows something different.
6.0 quarts for the 3.0 liter engine
5.2 quarts for the 2.3 liter engine
Which version/print of the Manual was that taken from? Mine was from the 3rd printing which is the latest available. Page 397.

Peter

Be wary of all manuals, people write all of those, and mistakes happen. Use what you have, but double check, and trust word of mouth more than manuals. Someone that owns the vehicle and actively works on it, probably knows more than any manual. Be nice though, we are trying to help each other.

I can tell you about a 351C engine and what oil capacity it has. But all manuals will disagree on those, the dipsticks changed for each engine model, though all oil pans were identical in dimensions. All Clevelands are listed as 5.0 quarts, yet the Boss and HO had different dipsticks, and took 6 quarts to show as full on the dipstick. Their oil pans had barely a difference in baffling, not enough to control another quart of oil. Those were aimed at higher rpm, and Cleveland engines were made with more oil flow to the heads(lifter bores had huge passages in them(the main oil galley)), thus needed more oil in stock form for higher rpm. That's just one weird example of manuals not being fully accurate or detailed with all needed information.

Which version/print of the Manual was that taken from? Mine was from the 3rd printing which is the latest available. Page 397.

Peter
I have a copy of the 2nd printing. It also describes the 2.3 engine as 5.2 quarts and the 3.0 and 3.3 engines as 6.0 quarts.

The manual is formatted poorly, and you have to scroll down further to see each engine listing.

I have a copy of the 2nd printing. It also describes the 2.3 engine as 5.2 quarts and the 3.0 and 3.3 engines as 6.0 quarts.

The manual is formatted poorly, and you have to scroll down further to see each engine listing.
There is no individual engine listing for oil capacity in the latest manual that I can see. Maybe I'm missing something. Have a look at the latest manual. https://owner.ford.com/tools/account/how-tos/owner-manuals.html?year=2020&make=Ford&model=Explorer
It would make sense to me that the 2.3 and 3.0 would be different.

Peter

There is no individual engine listing for oil capacity in the latest manual that I can see. Maybe I'm missing something. Have a look at the latest manual. https://owner.ford.com/tools/account/how-tos/owner-manuals.html?year=2020&make=Ford&model=Explorer
It would make sense to me that the 2.3 and 3.0 would be different.

Peter
They do list them separately in the third manual. Take a look at page 395, it begins the data for the 2.3L engine. Then look at page 402, it begins the data for the 3.0L engine. Then page 409 begins the data for the 3.3L engine.

Format of the manual is goofy in my opinion and certainly could lend to confusion.

LOL, maybe over thinking it a bit. Yes the v6s take more like 6-6.5 quarts while I estimated the 2.3 liter to be a little over the 5 quart jugs of 5w 30. An extra quart should top off both engines though.

I go by the manual on how much oil to buy, NOT how much you put in.

For reasons that more often than not, you're not going to get EVERY single drop of oil out of the pan. So if the manual says 5.2 and there's residual oil in the engine, guess what? You're only going to be adding a full 5 quarts of oil into the engine before the dipstick reads full.

If the manual says 5.2. I always go less than that, IE: 4.5 quarts. Start the engine, let it run for about 1 minute. Then shut off and check the level on flat ground. Then add accordingly.

My apologies regarding the incorrect info given. 😞

Peter

Just thought i'd bump this thread.

Changed the oil on the XLT today. I was running magnatec for about 6 months now (3100 miles), OLM read 43%.

Oil was BLACK. And reeked of fuel. Debated on grabbing a sample for blackstone but decided against it last second.

I put in motorcraft full syn. The specs are the same as syn blend for those wondering if you can use it.

Happy easter everyone!

"Oil was BLACK. And reeked of fuel." I don't think that would be normal.

Peter

Being black is fairly irrelevant but smelling like fuel is bad news.

"Oil was BLACK. And reeked of fuel." I don't think that would be normal.

Peter

It was the same case when i had my wrx. That engine just tore apart any oil i put in. I was doing 2k OCI on that car. Looks like i might have to do the same for this car as well.

If oil is ruined after 2,000 normal miles you have other issues.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am looking for a civil discussion for the type of oil to run in the 2.3 liter Explorer? I have been around 300-400 HP 4 bang motors my whole life. I change the oil in my Subaru based up time and not miles so changing oil in the Explorer is a similar process although it will get changed more often. I am not looking for extended run times as I believe these little 4s run better with a 5-7k mile synthetic oil change.

Some I have been looking at include

Castrol Edge Full Synthetic 5w30
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum Full Synthetic 5w30
Valvoline Full Synthetic 5w30
Motorcraft Phillips 66 5w30

I usually run Wix oil filters but willing to run the Motorcraft for warranty reasons. So I would even consider a premium brand if it is reasonable. I am estimating this will save roughly 20-30 dollars per visit. I am assuming.
I use Amsoil signature with a Napa Platinum filter. Run 10,000 miles. I have 79,000 miles and have a Blackstone oil test every other. All my numbers are excellent and the TBN is always above 3 showing the additives are still strong.

Back