What oil to run in 2.3 liter Explorer | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What oil to run in 2.3 liter Explorer

I’ve been using penzoil ultra platinum but it’s been harder to get local and I have had to resort to buying from Amazon. Now they ship leaking so I’ll need to switch to something local.

PUP is a great oil. As well as mobil 1 extended performance.

UOA results always came out spectacular.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

PUP is a great oil. As well as mobil 1 extended performance.

UOA results always came out spectacular.

Yes Pennzoil Ultra Platinum is great oil but there base stock is a petroleum derivative from natural gas, it tends to thin out too much for my liking. Castrol is a great 4 cylinder oil being the factory fill on most German cars. Basically though if you are changing the oil every 3-5k miles then any old synthetic would work with the exception of Quaker State or off brands.

I am looking for a civil discussion for the type of oil to run in the 2.3 liter Explorer? I have been around 300-400 HP 4 bang motors my whole life. I change the oil in my Subaru based up time and not miles so changing oil in the Explorer is a similar process although it will get changed more often. I am not looking for extended run times as I believe these little 4s run better with a 5-7k mile synthetic oil change.

Some I have been looking at include

Castrol Edge Full Synthetic 5w30
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum Full Synthetic 5w30
Valvoline Full Synthetic 5w30
Motorcraft Phillips 66 5w30

I usually run Wix oil filters but willing to run the Motorcraft for warranty reasons. So I would even consider a premium brand if it is reasonable. I am estimating this will save roughly 20-30 dollars per visit. I am assuming.
I found when draining hot oil that Valvoline's viscosity was thicker than Pennzoil......this was before Synthetic were around. I lot has changed since then. If I can get it I used Valvoline full Synthetic.....Today will be the first time a dealer has changed oil on one of my vehicle's since 2001 when Volvo did my S60 2.4T and used a power tool on the bottom cover and flatten all the washers into the plastic cover.

Just put Kirkland full synthetic in mine. $35 for two 5 gallon jugs. And motorcraft filter.

Who makes Costco Kirkland synthetic oil?

Costco Kirkland synthetic
based on some API standards they show some top ratings in their products:
Warren Distribution is a family-owned business that was founded more than 95 years ago in 1922 by James Schlott, the grandfather of Robert “Bob” Schlott, the current Chairman and CEO.

Today, we are the largest private label lubricants manufacturer and automotive chemical distributor located in North America. Plus, we ship to 45+ countries. Our products include passenger car motor oil, heavy-duty engine oil, industrial oils, and greases. We distribute a wide variety of popular automotive chemicals. (About us - Warren Distribution)

Apologies if I have already responded to this thread...I use Motorcraft Synthetic Blend and Motorcraft filters in all of my cars ( yes, they are all Fords). No reason to use anything else. For those that wonder who makes it for Ford, my research shows it as Kendall.

Apologies if I have already responded to this thread...I use Motorcraft Synthetic Blend and Motorcraft filters in all of my cars ( yes, they are all Fords). No reason to use anything else. For those that wonder who makes it for Ford, my research shows it as Kendall.
This is your first response in this thread.

Peter

gonna throw my 2c in here, driving a 2nd gen with 330k on original engine (and original timing guides till 2 years ago) i personally use M1 HM 5-30 in my X, but imo more important than the oil choice, as long as its a name brand syn that meets requirements for all the newest low spd preignition stuff and what not, is the filter choice. much more variation there imo, compare stp to fomoco for example, or M1. there aint no comparing the two. we get too caught up in the fluid itself, but we overlook the stuff that actually takes it out of circulation. also more important is the OCI, i do 3k OCI on all the vehicles. especially more important for the turbo vehicles, as the tolerances are so minute, and also they need more protection as theu are under more stress than them ole v8s, and to keep it from getting acidic. all just my views. imo, want more protection? try motorkote, it leaves this nice slick film, and it reduces friction on the cold start. its like its almost fused to the metal, its interesting. when its running, theres not much wear, as new oils have good lubricating proterty, its just the dry start. though manufacturers over use the 98% of wear occurrs at start up thing though. but i must say the motorkote seems to work?

TLDR: OCI/filter>name brand oil choice

^^ Nice to know but this thread is on the 2.3L engine. ;)

Peter

^^ Nice to know but this thread is on the 2.3L engine. ;)

Peter
ah shoot, im blind. i see a notification, i respond 🤣 guess it stillsomewhat applies? not sure. imo even for newer vehicles, i would put OCi and filter before oil choice, granted its syn.

Plenty of reason to use something else. Kirkland is 25% cheaper than Motorcraft, and it's a FULL synthetic instead of a BLEND. There are several other top tier FULL synthetics available for the same price or cheaper than Motorcraft. Even Mobil1 is only $1.50 more for 5 qts at Walmart. Seems foolish to me to run Motorcraft.

Plenty of reason to use something else. Kirkland is 25% cheaper than Motorcraft, and it's a FULL synthetic instead of a BLEND. There are several other top tier FULL synthetics available for the same price or cheaper than Motorcraft. Even Mobil1 is only $1.50 more for 5 qts at Walmart. Seems foolish to me to run Motorcraft.

the only thing about Kirkland is what the heck is Warren Distribution cause I haven't ever heard of them.

the only thing about Kirkland is what the heck is Warren Distribution cause I haven't ever heard of them.
iirc warren makes costcos, amazon, supertech, and also many auto stors in house brands. i mean it meets spec, must be fine :dunno:

The oil meets the required specs, has been checked out by the PQIA and has some favorable UOA's on bitog.com. How can you go wrong?

1654253742247.png

Most new oils are fine for everything except high stressed engines like the turbo Ford engines. I too would choose a great brand, I use the first three mentioned in the first post. I like those plus Amsoil in the matched applications(high performance, newly built, and not leaking or eating oil). They have an OEM level(of three) which is comparable to the popular brands, but they went up recently to over $6 a quart(too much versus a $22 jug of Valvoline/Pennzoil/Castrol etc).

Their Signature series top level is worthy for a nice new engine that doesn't use any oil, but it's $9ish or more now. I had that in my 99 SOHC 4.0 one time, for 9000 miles. I only took it out because the oil had been full and almost clear three weeks before then. The air filter had fallen off inside the air cleaner, which turned the oil pitch black in no time. I stopped driving that truck at work when they forced a company truck onto my route. So I never ran that oil again, my other vehicle's engines all use too much oil. But that was the best oil I've ever used, I plan to use it for new engines I have or will build soon. I wouldn't push a turbo engine much more than 7500 miles on the oil yet, the affects on the oil by direct injection is still not fully known. I'd go with 5k until I felt comfortable with that engine etc. Always use the best oil and air filters when possible.

Amsoil Signature Series 5w30 is approximately $12 per quart on their website with preferred pricing.

Amsoil Signature Series 5w30 is approximately $12 per quart on their website with preferred pricing.
I see that now, $12.49 a quart. The middle level is about $9.50, and the OEM level is up to $7.50 a quart. I was buying the OE level for $5.50 a quart just a couple of years ago, that's a huge jump in price just recently.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I got rid of the factory fill just short of 700 miles and used castrol magnatec 5w30. It's pretty well known in the 2.3 ecoboost world, aka mustang guys etc. So i figure try it in the explorer. I know i have free oil changes at the dealer but what i did was just got my own supply from them for future oil changes. Didn't get the motorcraft syn blend though. Went with the full synthetic and the OEM filters.

I only put magnatec in the explorer because i still had a jug leftover from my previous lease.

Honestly if you change your oil religiously, any reputable brand synthetic would be sufficient enough.
I know this is old, but how do you have free oil changes at the dealer on your Explorer?

Rick

Back