• Register Today It's free!

what subs?

mikeresin

Reaction score
City, State
san rafael, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 sport, 90gt
i just havnt decided what kind of subs and box to get yet. i have that 1000w peak power sony. and a sealed box for 2 12"s. i just need to decide on wich 12"s. i was looking around but it seems the only good ones i found were too expensive. i was thinking about some jl W3's but they were 200 a peice. that max i can really spend is like 350. i have 375 on me right now and i get paid again on thursday. wich will be another 400. but i have expenses. so actually like 400-425 to spend. i just have a problem with spending 200 one one sub. unless it is a really good sub. but most really good subs take really big amps and i cant afford to buy another amp. and i need to buy it from a store around here too becuase i dont have a credit card or checks to order it online. so i dont know. what do you guys think?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

instead of going to Best Buy or Circuit City, try a real car audio shop. tell them how much you are willing to spend, and what you are looking for. they'll demo some good subs for you, and you pick out what you like best. also if you buy from them, many manufacturers extend their warranties. for example: Orion XTR subs carry a lifetime warranty if purchased at an authorized dealer. if you buy them on the internet, it is only a 1 year warranty.

hmmm i need to find a good stereo shop then. only one i know of is in the ghetto around here and they suck

I'm running 2 MTX Thunder 6000 12s, I paid $500 for the 12s and a Thunder 152 amp. Since you already have an amp you could get four 12s for what your looking to spend. The quality and craftsmanship are incredible, especially for the price. People are constantly asking how many 15s I've got stashed in back and when I reply the usual response is...

Dead Link Removed Dead Link Removed
Dead Link Removed

J/K

i dunno i listened to the 6000's the other day in the store and they didnt sound they were hitting very hard at all, they sounded like nothing compared to m xlc's

I'm not saying their the best, but It could have been the way they were setup. Mine hit harder than the two Infinity Perfect 12.1 12s that I had before. I'm just saying if properly installed the 6000 is a nice sub for the price. Just my .02

well i appreciate your input =)

Do not push that Sony amp to hard. The power supply will burn out. We are having about a 50% failure rate on both the 600 and 1000 watt rated amps from Sony. This is why we call the EXPLODES at work because they explode all the time.
If you are looking for a sub that kicks pretty good take a look at the Kenwood DBs or even the Alpine type R sub.
The MTX 6000 are nice to we sell a ton of them.
I would be careful of the Infinity Perfects right now. We have been having a problem with the surronds coming off. We had a problem like this the first year they came out at work and we are starting to see it again.

Image Dynamics ID Q12 $150 a peice or 1 cerwin vega 12 stoker $400, you could trade in your box and build your own its 1000watt rms

yeh, i wish i could get a good amp and some good subs and all this crap but i cant afford it. im going back to school on the 20th and am no longer going to have money.

jl12w3

get 2 jl12w3's. remember you get what you pay for.

ooo i ran into an old friend at lunch today... he has 3 jl 10" w6's and the box and the amp for sale. he said he would sell to me for like 500. i still need to ask him some more questions, like what kind of amp and if they are blown or anything. but this looks promising.

im just going to start over. at the moment all i have is a sony amp and an empty box. im probably give away the box and try and sell the amp and buy these 10"s of james. he said the amp that he has for the 10"s if perfect for them, its not under powered or anything. he also said the 10"s hit harder then most 12"s people have. so. im going to hook it up and see how they sound before i hand over $500 dollars. but still, this made my day a little bit better.

those W6's are great SQ subs. they do hit pretty hard, but the W3's are for SPL.
i think you'll be more than happy with the W6's, $500 is a great deal if there are no problems with them or the amp. good luck.

=)
i think im going to hook the subs up and see if they are blown or anything. and if there are no problems, i shall buy them.

but i still have 2 more problems. sorry guys for whineing so much, i just need to know what to do hear.

1. my radio gets horrible reception. its a new deck so it should get good reception but it doesnt.

2. i still cant figure out how to bypass the factory amp. im not very good at running wires and dont really want to run all those speaker wires up to the front and try and figure out wich one is wich and plug em into the HU. and i also dont really want to cut and ghetto rig the wires myself. the install guy at circuit city couldnt figure it out. (but then i expected as much from circuit city)
so i dunno. if someone from the bay area knows how to doit i would be glad to pay em to come over and help me do it. ill throw down like 50-60 bucks. im helpless i know i know.

the reception problem is common with ford trucks. water sits inside the fender by the antenna and corrodes the connection. it's not the headunit, it's the antenna.
the only fix, is to replace it. mine is the same way, but i never listen to the radio so i dont really care.
you could pick up a good antenna at walmart. they have all different kinds ranging from $9 to about $30 for a power antenna.

hmmm. ok thanks. i dont care all that much either i mostly listen to cds. i was just makeing sure it wasnt the deck.

Back