What transmissions are interchangable? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What transmissions are interchangable?

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario, canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
Well, I have a 1997 4x4 with a 4.0L dohc that has a dead transmission. I found at a local car lot a 1997 4x4 with a decent transmission, only thing is it has a 4.0L SOHC engine not DOHC, it has 350,000 km on the odometer but from the looks of it the tranny has been replaced within the past few years and it shifted well during a test ride.... im not sure on the tranny codes but are they interchangable? I am hoping it is because i can get the explorer for 600 bucks.....

thanks in advance...
Nick.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you don't have an SOHC than you have an OHV. :cool:

ya, lol OHV....doesnt that mean dohc or is it "over head valve" :roll:

but yes, I have an OHV 4.0L with a dead tranny

I can get a 4.0L sohc explorer w/new tranny (at least i am assuming its a sohc because its a v-6 and looks different than mine)

dohc = dual overhead cam :D

Not sure if itl fit or not, someones gotta know though :)

And were abouts in ontario are ya?

I live in elmvale, 20 min north of barrie lol. What you in huntsville for?

lol, I pass through elmvale like everyday...I have a family reunion thing up here and we all kind of camp for the week and take a week off work.... I need to get my explorer going because a tree fell on my mazda during that storm a few weeks back.... My explorer is currently being repaired in midland (tow truck was too expensive to tow from highway 400 at big chute road all the way to south barrie, so it ended up in midland)..I know a guy who works in parry sound who can get me a government owned explorer, 97 4x4 with a new tranny for 600 bucks....only thing is i dont know if they are interchangable (again,lol mine is an OHV 4.0L and this one is the SOHC 4.0L)

Yeah well i hope they are, sounds like a good deal lol. Last tranny i went through i got a 91 explorer for $300 from the neighbor :p

good deal....so how are them huronia west OPP treat'n ya? lol......i got pinched in wasaga beach for "improper vehichle lighting" 2 weeks back...wankers...thats $220 fine for headlights....what a rip!

Just fine lol, im quite surprised, though i cant say it tour up to the beach all to often. Only been pulled over once by two cruisers lol, but that was a while ago. Im surprised i havent got nailed for some fine for having roof rack lights lol (there comin down soon).

$220 is pretty harsh? For headlights?

I believe in 97 the OHV and SOHC both use the same auto trans, they share the same bolt pattern and the same flywheel, etc so it will fit. the question becomes whether or not he OHV computer will control the SOHC transmission, but as I said I believe starting in 97 they are both the same automatic.......I would confirm this before I bought the truck for the trans however :)

You have the OHV, the donor has the SOHC correct?
Heck you could use the engine too :)

DOHC is just going to confuse people here....

410Fortune said:
You have the OHV, the donor has the SOHC correct?
Heck you could use the engine too :)

yes...the donor explorer has like 350,000 km on it but it looks like a new tranny...mine has under 150,000 ands its got a cooked tranny....

Brandons said:
Just fine lol, im quite surprised, though i cant say it tour up to the beach all to often. Only been pulled over once by two cruisers lol, but that was a while ago. Im surprised i havent got nailed for some fine for having roof rack lights lol (there comin down soon).

$220 is pretty harsh? For headlights?

yep...$110/light...those *******s go as far as to take your headlight housing apart and make sure its DOT approved....I guess because of all the ricers at the beach they know all bout illegal mods....no other cops around have a clue...nor do they care lol...

rebuilt does not always mean a good thing, most transmissions have more issues after a rebuild.......however I am the type of guy who will install a $300 trans that works instead of a $1800 rebuild, even if it only lasts 6 months

You can tell ALOT by smelling and looking at the fluid, the bottom of the pan and also cutting open the filter..

Yeah the $300 truck was how much it cost for a working trans :D, lasted almost a year :D.

well, what i like about this explorer is it has alot of goodies (front ram bar, side step bars, fog lights, digital thermometer/compass, sunroof, premium audio,nice rims, newer tires, nice seats, and alot of spare parts)....plus i noticed they have installed an auxillary transmission cooler so the tranny should be in OK shape considering it shifts well and fluid looks clean. Now i can install that tranny w/cooler, and replace the rad so that coolant doesnt seep into my tranny. for 600 bucks im thinkin :thumbsup: its kinda rough (nice big dent in the door and huge scrape down the side) but im not gonna drive it just a parts donor.....

I think thats a good way to do it, the donor we have has saved us way more than the $300. Ive so far got two new autohubs off it, electric shift motor for the transfer case, door lever for the drivers door, and theres alot of electrical connectors from the harness ive used. Going to tear it down entirely and save any good parts, taking a sawzall to the body to keep the two back windows and keeping the back hatch for the mechanism in it and window. If you could see it it will probably turn into a pile of white and rust bodypanels :D with a windshield..

Any updates yet?

Once again any luck?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hey sorry about not posting updates lol...yeah everything went well. Trans seems to be holding up and i have a nice big cooler in there now. Plus the donor explorer has already saved me well over $1000 in other parts (like nearly new tires and an IAC valve) so it worked out well...i got the ford/jbl speakers out of it too (they sound way better!)

Back