What type gears for front?

Robert

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Kelseyville, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'13 Ram 1500 Longhorn
What type of gears do I need to put in my front end? I'm having Desert Rat put in 4.56s. They are getting the gears from Superior Gears. The Superior Gears catalog only lists front gears for Explorers 90 1/2 to 95. They are for a Dana 35, reverse rotation. I'm pretty certain I have the same gear type as the 95, but not so certain about the 90 1/2 - 94. I'm thinking their catalog has a typo and should be 94 rather than 95. That and the fact that I've seen a couple of posts saying the '95 and up front axle was a standard rotation. The actual catalog page lists the application as:

*Reverse
Ford Explorer
4.0L/Front ..................... 90 1/2-95
Ford Ranger
4.0L/Front ..................... 90 1/2-UP

The catalog is the current 2003 catalog and since their rear gear sets cover 90 1/2-UP, I don't know why they cut off the Explorer fronts at 95.

Those that have already regeared, what type of gears did you use (standard/reverse)? My biggest concern is having them put the 4.56s in the rear, get the front removed and then find out that the gears won't work. That would mean they would have to put my 4.10s back in the rear and put the front back together or I would be without my vehicle for several days until they get the right parts (I can't afford that).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

27 Spline Dana 35 Standard

Thanks Jason, so I guess I have to call the shop back and tell them to find another set of gears since they ordered Dana 35 IFS reverse. Better to find out now.

Robert; I don't have any answers to your question, but I wondered how you like the 285 75 16's? Did you gain about 3/4" of an inch or so? Sorry I missed you at the AZ run I was looking forward to wheelin' with you again. Good luck with the re-gear!

:)

Same gears that Jeep rear uses. Dana 35 standard rotation, like Jason said.

Hell, their years are all screwed up too.

1990-1994 were the only years for the RR D35 gears cause they were used in the TTBs.

Thanks everyone, I just called Desert Rat and told them to change their order from D35456R (Dana 35, 4.56, reverse) to D35456 (Dana 35, 4.56, standard). The catalog lists this as the proper part for the rears of Jeep Wrangler '87-UP.

Back