what year motor can i use?? HELP QUICK!! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

what year motor can i use?? HELP QUICK!!

410Fortune said:
required? I doubt it. the frame and transmission have no idea if there is one or isnt one. Sop if your new SOHC does not have one I would not worry about it, in fact I would be thinking "one less thing to deal with"

I agree with the above and would add:

The balance shaft is purely mechanical, and since it is not tied into the electronics (no sensors or actuators connect to the PCM) your truck won't know if you have it or not.

With that said, I have to weasel out and say I can't be responsible if it doesn't work for some weird reason. :p

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

oh no way man you said it here on EF, it is set in stone! Expect to hear from my lawyer!

410Fortune said:
oh no way man you said it here on EF, it is set in stone! Expect to hear from my lawyer!

Haha!! Thats good stuff!

Well, I just called the ford dealership, and a service tech there said that there "may" be a difference in harmonic balancers? Any ideas?

no ideas, but you can use the parts from your SOHC most likely to convert your new SOHC to match, if they are in fact different (I doubt it) Most likely even if they are different you can just keep the balancer that comes with your new "junk yard" engine.

The SOHC's are plentiful here in CO in the junk yards, steer clear of the 97 model year IMO, because they may have the bad timuing chain tensioners. basically the later the year the better for you.

My local U pull it yard had 3 of them last time I was there, $500-700, Colorado Auto Salvage

tawd77 said:
Haha!! Thats good stuff!

Well, I just called the ford dealership, and a service tech there said that there "may" be a difference in harmonic balancers? Any ideas?

Hmmm, maybe they needed to use a smaller harmonic balancer on the 4wd for clearance, so they added the balance shaft and decided to make it a "product feature".

You can't sue a dog. Dogs don't carry money. :p

hummmmm... Im still not sure if i should buy this 2wd, no balancing shaft motor. I dont want to mess with putting my balancing shaft on this motor. The balancing shaft runs off the timing chain, and that doesnt sound like fun to mess with.

If anyone knows for sure that the 2wd engine will work in the 4wd explorer, plz let me know. Thanks

Jeez, I think I could have got more help at a quilting forum!! :D

tawd77 said:
Jeez, I think I could have got more help at a quilting forum!! :D

That's what happens when you're a pioneer - nobody can tell you for sure unless they have already done it.

I say go for it, then post pictures to show us why we were wrong. :p

the 2wd engine will work in your 4x4.
We installed a 04 4x4 SOHC into a 4x4 truck, but it had no balancing shaft. In fact I have not seen a SOHC with this sucker on it yet, and now I am looking.

You got plenty of help in this thread IMO, like dogfriend pointed out you are in uncharted waters here, unless I get my hands on your truck and engine this is all the help I can offer, knowledge.

Go for it!
It will bolt in.

Im gonna go for it!!

I guess I will spend the $600 for the 2wd engine and throw it in there. Thanks for all the help people.

Last thing, The engine Im putting in is a 2000 model, and mines a 97. Will I have to swap parts from my old motor to the new one (Like intake manifold,sensors etc)? Thanks

did you read this thread?

Yes you have to swap sensors.
Basically you are going to use the 2000 block and heads with your 97 intakes, fuel rail, and sensors. All this was covered in the thread, please read it

410Fortune said:
did you read this thread?

Yes you have to swap sensors.
Basically you are going to use the 2000 block and heads with your 97 intakes, fuel rail, and sensors. All this was covered in the thread, please read it

sry, its been soo long since ive been to this thread, i forgot. Thanks

Back