What's actual FACTORY ride height??? Called, but dealer wont tell-?!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What's actual FACTORY ride height??? Called, but dealer wont tell-?!!

meyek91974

Reaction score
City, State
Louisville, Kentucky - Let me no f u r nearby
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Explorer 2wd Edd.B
Everyone says to raise TT 2", but what is factory ride height???

If suspension is saggy then I should be able to raise to.....So, the ideal is to say "adjust TT to such that height from top of tire to fender lip is..." or "from ground to rocker distance is..." WHAT IS STOCK HEIGHT??????

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

each vehicle varies from the factory due to different torsion bars

Thanks Volver! Hey, do you know if anyone on the site here (that I haven't found) has generically measured the distance from top of tire to fender lip and posted that distance or the same for ground to rocker?? Such as just simply stating that a second generation Explorer should have a top of tire to fender lip distance of 4.75-5.6 inches?????? This would make things rrreeeeaaallllyyyy easy for people looking.

Each Explorer is going to be different. Many things can very the distance. Tire size. How much has the suspension settled. It's impossible to state the stock ride height is X.

This subject gets hashed out once a year or so and always ends up in a pissing contest.

Thanks Volver! Hey, do you know if anyone on the site here (that I haven't found) has generically measured the distance from top of tire to fender lip and posted that distance or the same for ground to rocker?? Such as just simply stating that a second generation Explorer should have a top of tire to fender lip distance of 4.75-5.6 inches?????? This would make things rrreeeeaaallllyyyy easy for people looking.

Because there is no such dimension. Ride height is measured from the ground to a two particular points on the lower control arm, and it's the DIFFERENCE between those two measurements (essentially, the 'ride height' is set by adjusting the angle of the lower control arm with respect to the chassis). I don't remember that particular spec off-hand, but it's in the service manual.

Once the suspension is set to that distance, the fender can be anywhere you want it to be... Tire size and trim package affects that measurement greatly, but not the angle of the lower control arm.

Hi All,

Sorry to raise a zombie thread,

Does anyone have a generic measurement for the rear height? or can someone measure a stock gen2 for me?

Preferably measured from the centre of the hub to the fender in the middle (yes I have factory flares) or from the top of the axle tube to the frame where the bump stop is.

380,000 km's later the leafs have sagged to buggery ( I put in warrior type lift shackles and now the truck sits almost level). There is a local crowd who can reset the leafs for me but I need to know what a rough measurement is for them to set them to.

No new leafs are not an option and add-a-leaf isn't sold in my country. Shipping anything out of the us that big is prohibitively expensive.

Any help would be appreciated.
Chris

The only "stock" or factory ride height spec is listed in the owners manual. Providing you are using the stock tire size listed on the drivers door decal, MAXIMUM height (67.3") is measured from the top of the roof rack to the ground. If you are using non stock tires, add or subtract one-half inch for every full inch of tire diameter difference.

(Pages 228 & 230)
http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/catalog/owner_guides/97expog1e.pdf

Ride Height Adjustment Procedure (Front & Rear, Explorer AWD 4X4-97) | Ford Explorer and Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

Official Stock Ride Height? | Ford Explorer and Ford Ranger Forums - Serious E

The best base front ride height should be where the front lower control arms and axles are level. The back should be based on the front, to look right(not jacked up or sagging relative to the front).

Measuring from the fenders is always a bad idea, those are not mounted equally relative to the chassis, left to right. Doing that results in the chassis being jacked up more on one side than the other, making for uneven handling. Don't forget an alignment when it's set/done.

Thank you for your replies. Yes I am on stock tires.

SWSHAWAII: Thanks for this info. I don't need a specific stock height just close enough is good enough.

So because I have warrior lift shackles, somewhere around 69" at the back would be close enough.

DON: The front suspension is worn and uneven. I have no way of telling if someone has played with the torsion bars. Measuring the front will be hideously unreliable. And yes measuring from the fenders can be bad, thats why I also asked if it could be measured from the axle tube to the frame - this dimension will not be affected by poor fitment or tyre size. My plan is to get the back right because then it's easy to adjust the front to suit.

Thanks again peeps.

The measurement at the front is easy to do, on flat surface check the eight of the front bolts of the lower control arms. Those are major frame locations, they should be equal, and you can visually check that the LCA's are close to level/horizontal. As those get up or down from horizontal, that hurts the ride some, which is why people with big lifts or drops say the ride is harsh. They have LCA's that are at an angle, which puts more forces into the frame than the springs, as you hit bumps etc. My mercury is about 2.5" lowered, it does ride a little rougher(the "B" bars hurt it too).

Stock would be close to horizontal, for the best ride. Regards,

Back