Whats this worth? 99X eddie bauer! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Whats this worth? 99X eddie bauer!

smokymance

Reaction score
City, State
GP, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Sport
i had a 99 sport explorer with 90k on it and it recently got totaled in a bad weather accident...

now its time to replace it...

i found another 99 X, Eddie Bauer, with 93k miles...fully loaded: roof, heated seats, leather, towing package, 5.0L, etc etc.

only problems car has are: slightly cracked windshield on the upper part (not bad), the famous radio display problem on the radio, and it makes a whinny noise at 2k or above. it seems like a whine that would come from the ford power steering pumps but it doesnt do it when its idling and i turn the wheel back and fourth like older ford cars would do.

the guy is asking for 6500 or best offer...

what do u guys suggest?

about the whine? is this common?
price vs miles/condition? is it an ok deal?
what should i offer?

any help is appreciated!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I agree with Jon about the price. You might need a new P/S pump, but you could try replacing the fluid first to see if it helps to reduce the noise. A little Lucas for P/S systems might help too.

oh wo!! that low?

i looked at the KBB and it says its worth 7300 or so for the car...and 6500 for poor condition!

I don't know how they rate things in that book. Nobody ever pays or sells for those prices (unless they get rooked). Some guys think that they could get back everything they put into it during the time they had the vehicle.

oh i definalely agree with you on that one...i was going to offer something along the lines of 5500 or so...i didnt know that even that was way too high!

Mileage, condition and market...

Normal mileage for that year (8x12000) = 96,000 so your just below that but not enough to call it low mileage.

Condition, you say it's got some problems, Maybe $700 in Dealer shop costs ($300 windshield/$400 PS pump)--Can't really count the radio, It's hard to find one that does work properly.

Market, it's winter time so your going to pay more for a 4x4/AWD.

If everything is sound other than the two things you mentioned, it is an Eddie Bauer V8which helps the value some. My guess is $4500-$5000. definately don't pay more than $6000 for it.

oh wo!! that low?

i looked at the KBB and it says its worth 7300 or so for the car...and 6500 for poor condition!

KBB is written for the dealer trying to sell you a car.

Try browsing through the "used explorers for sale" forum here--you'll get the idea-

I've seen real nice examples sit stagnant at 3200 bux--

awsome....thats why i asked you guys, i know id get an idea what i should ball him at tomorow then....

any other things i should look for when im checking it out?

good point...blend door is pretty important and most likely something to over look...also the 4wd...

This chart on checking ATF is # 34 in my list of useful threads:
trannyfluid.jpg

while your checking it out, check for transmission problems, since its a V8, there won't be much problems, but drive reserve for a 10-15 feet and listen if there is any bangs from the trans, then switch off to drive and check it there also, check the brakes. does the a/c compressor and heat work? how are the speakers, good sound. headlights taillights working? last oil change, any errors on the computer ie check engine, abs?
and much more but they dont come to my mind at the moment.

good point...blend door is pretty important and most likely something to over look...also the 4wd...

You will need to find an area to break traction to do this-
it is a full time AWD system, there are no buttons or levers to shift.

Find some snow if possible-see if the front wheels engage when you peel out--:D
Listen for an exhaust leak(egr tube)

Listen for a

test the ac system--
check all wiper delay and turn signal functions

when you first switch the car on-you should see the "check engine" light. it should go out when the car is running.

Make sure that there are no trouble lights flashing when you drive. Check all of the bulbs to see if they light up when you turn the key. The owner could try to pull the bulb out instead of fixing the problem.

some real good pointers...im printing this and going down the list when i get there...

If it's AWD, the whine may just be that. Mine has had it since I bought it 5 years and 100,000 miles ago. Never gotten worse. The radio thing can be fixed. When I bought mine it had the display problem, I found a repair guy on eBay, shipped to Oregon or somewhere, got it back in 5 days, still works fine, was like $60. I think maybe $4,000 tops, depending on market.

Back