Whell Bearing

jcarter

Reaction score
City, State
Edmonton
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Sport
HI everyone,

I am changing out the front wheel bearing on my 93 Sport and am told by the dealer that I have an inner and outer bearing and CONES that I need to change. He says the bearing rides on the cones?? does anyone know what he is talking about and if they are easy to change...any input appreciated...thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

jcarter

Yes, you do have inner and outer wheel bearings on your Explorer. They ride on Bearing races which are pressed into the rotor. I don't remember ever hearing them called CONES but I guess they are the same as the races.
You don't always have to changed the races =unless they are scored or otherwise damaged. They are not too hard to remove and replace, you can do it yourself but try not to ding them up or damage them.

I just repacked my bearings yesterday (same procedure) so what you will need is a new oil seal for good measure and a brass drift if you are removing the races. The new oil seal is about $2-3 per side (1 per side) at an auto parts store. Run your fingernail across the surface of the races and if it catches anywhere you will need to replace it. The bearings pop in and out pretty easy. If you have to remove the races, use a brass drift which is a big brass rod to knock the new ones back in. Make sure to re-torque the spindle nut(s) to proper specs so you wont burn up your new bearings. Good luck!

THANKS GUYS, EXACTLY WHAT I NEEDED TO KNOW

Socket

Looks like I have to purchase the socket for the spindle nut....does anyone know the exact size? 1993 Sport

spindlenuts

When you go to take off or put on your spindle nuts be sure to take out the key ways that are on the thread part of your spindle shaft. To find them wipe any exess grease off of the shaft and then run your finger nail across it and you should find the groove so you can take it out.

If my brain is working correctly this morning... the auto hubs use 2 1/8" socket.. I had to go to a real auto parts store.. (not a chain store).. I also found it at Dick Cepek before they got bought by Desert Rat..

~Mark

Back