When to replace the timing chain?

fabianoliver

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Montevideo - Uruguay
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
Hi, i've just bought ( 1 hour ago) an XLT 1994, with 150.000 miles.
Just thinking on the timing chain, at how many miles it's adviced to change it along with tensioners, and oil and water pump?
The engine seems to be fine, let me one week, and'll confirm that, but just thinking, on the maintenance i need to attack once with me.
Thanks!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi, i've just bought ( 1 hour ago) an XLT 1994, with 150.000 miles.
Just thinking on the timing chain, at how many miles it's adviced to change it along with tensioners, and oil and water pump?
The engine seems to be fine, let me one week, and'll confirm that, but just thinking, on the maintenance i need to attack once with me.
Thanks!!
the ohv engines dont have the timing issues the sohcs are afflicted with, and as such i dont think theres a need especially at 150k.

oil imo im a 3k full syn kind of person, but 5k is probably fine. since its a new aqquisition regardless of the prior maintainence imo id go in and replace all the fluid oil trans diff tcase etc. when toure doing coolant doesnt hurt to do the WP. also inspect things like motor mounts hoses etc

the ohv engines dont have the timing issues the sohcs are afflicted with, and as such i dont think theres a need especially at 150k.

oil imo im a 3k full syn kind of person, but 5k is probably fine. since its a new aqquisition regardless of the prior maintainence imo id go in and replace all the fluid oil trans diff tcase etc. when toure doing coolant doesnt hurt to do the WP. also inspect things like motor mounts hoses etc
Very knowledgeable fella here only think i would add to that list is check the trans mount and make sure the diff breather hoses aren't clogged with junk

Very knowledgeable fella here only think i would add to that list is check the trans mount and make sure the diff breather hoses aren't clogged with junk
^^^also a knowledgable one here LOL! also maybe lube up stuff like the shift cable and what not, and check suspension etc for excessive wear etc.

also since the 1gs are known for hesd issues make sure theres mo signs of cracking etc

1994's don't have the head issues. They do need the intake gaskets replaced over time. Water pumps wear/corrode over time, usually due to poor maintenance. Fan clutches can be upgraded to heavy or severe duty. Don't need to replace the timing chain unless doing a rebuild.

Plugs and wires seem to do wonders.

1994's don't have the head issues. They do need the intake gaskets replaced over time. Water pumps wear/corrode over time, usually due to poor maintenance. Fan clutches can be upgraded to heavy or severe duty. Don't need to replace the timing chain unless doing a rebuild.

the 1994s didnt? i thoight the headnissues carried into the 2g, no?

From what I have read on the forum over the years, the 1994 heads are a upgrade to previous years. I don't have actual experience with this.

Thanks for your answer, will do

txs Lee, i'll buy the Haynes, but meanwile, were can i locate the diff breather hoses?
txs!

txs BK, you suggest to upgrade the fan clutch even if the one on the truck is working ok? ( i know it's spinning, don't know if it's smooth as it should be....)

My drivers side side head cracked, at least by 150k . Manufactured in I think october '94. And when I rebuilt my engine at the timing chain had 0 stretching, perfectly within spec , same as crankshaft and crankshaft bearings.

some other due dilligence steps are making sure your A/C fan is clean of debris, even a few old leaves can cause a fire.
Inspect the computer for capcitor leaking. That's an age related issue.
Water/coolant pump will let you know when it's time to change.
Inspect belts. Inspect bushings.
contradicting lee's automotive, If you don't have a reason to get to the intake gaskets, replacing gaskets may introduce an issue that occurs when the lower isn't quite tightened correctly. Indicated by fuzzy spark #5, dissappearing oil.

txs Lee, i'll buy the Haynes, but meanwile, were can i locate the diff breather hoses?
txs!
he breather hose on my 2g is on he back side top of the diff

txs BK, you suggest to upgrade the fan clutch even if the one on the truck is working ok? ( i know it's spinning, don't know if it's smooth as it should be....)
fan clutchc the hayden severe duty is a worthwile upgrade when doing the WP imo

fan clutchc the hayden severe duty is a worthwile upgrade when doing the WP imo
That's the one I just got delivered.

There are lots of threads on the forum related to repair and maintenance. It's all here for the searching.

These are stout and dependable old trucks, I suggest you take delivery and drive it a while, and see what if any issues you have.
If you get pre-concerned over every little thing mentioned, you’ll go crazy.
There’s common issues to these years, but it doesn’t mean yours will have them on delivery.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Congrats!!

Is the 94 a stick or auto?

Back