Where does the negative battery cable go on my '93 X? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Where does the negative battery cable go on my '93 X?

konstan

Reaction score
City, State
Omaha, NE
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Explorer Sport
So, this evening I try to start my X ('93) and it clicks and the dome lights go out. So, I say to myself "been there done that, must be a bad neg connection". Sure enough, I jump the negative battery terminal on to a rnearby bare metal spot, and she fires right up.

Ok, so replacing the neg. cable is in order. It seems to go way down under the battery into the wheel well somewhere....

Where does that cable go? Does it need to go that far? Why can't I just connect it to the body somewhere close to the battery (it starts real nice of I do that, by the way)... or can I?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dont mark my words, but i dont think it would be an issue if you did...

Ive been wanting lately to goto the car audio shop and get the REAL like inch thick amp wiring and run a couple foot ground, from the neg on the battery to the body, it would have to be better than the stock old cables

You may have to mount additional ground straps but as long as you use a heavy gauge wire you should be good to go. You can find a good mounting point on the engine block where any metal bracket attaches and use that, but you need to make sure you have a good grounding point from the block to the tranny and body as well. Try adding a heavy ground strap from the battery Neg. post to a mounting bolt on the alternator bracket. If you can, attach all the connectors on the ground lead with crimp-on connectors and then solder, it works even better if you tin the ground wire before crimping on the connector. Use rosin-core solder (for electronics work), not acid core (what plumbers use) as the acid-core solder flux is corrosive and will over time, cause additional problems.

...This is where it comes down from the negative post to the frame...It then goes to the motor above the starter..;)
Stock_air_box_007.jpg

interesting...

...This is where it comes down from the negative post to the frame...]

to tbars4: THANKS for an excellent image; That helps clear it up for me!!

to all: if you tried to find a more back-asswards place to put a ground connection, on the bottom, exposed to all the mud and moisture, would you have been able to find a better place?? :banghead:

If you can, attach all the connectors on the ground lead with crimp-on connectors and then solder.

Oh yes, soldering is the plan. I got a soldering gun a few years back, its priceless for large cable work like the battery cables... i love that thing!

If you are trying to solder a heavy gauge cable, 2 gauge (approx 1/4" dia.) on up to OO or larger, I would recommend one of those tiny portable butane powered torches. I find them very invaluable when working on automotive wiring. I picked up a small BernzOmatic® torch that also has a soldering tip for smaller work at my local ACE Hardware store for about $18 or so. http://www.bernzomatic.com
I also have a butane powered soldering iron that I use for car-stereo wiring work from RadioShack that is wonderful for car stereo, car alarm and other smaller gauge wires. Just be sure you use a good grade of 60/40 electronics-grade, rosin-core solder.

If your replaceing the negative spend the extra 15 dollars and replace the positive its probally in about the same conditions as the negative but honestly i would check to make sure thats its got a good ground meaning that with mine the first time it did it the ground area was not getting a good connections so i removed it and sanded it down then replaced it again..... after i did that i sprayed under coating sealent on it and no problem for about 2 years when the positive cbl went then i replaced both and no problem..

most. not all but most the neg bat cable will attach directly to the block. most of the time it has a smaller gauge splitting off to the fender near the batt

the times you will not see this in a positive ground system.
you can get away with running the neg cable to any bolt on the front of the motor. ac bracket, alt bracket, :) since it's only a few inches from batt.

I do suggest a new ground strap from frame to block if you need to replace the cables i'm sure this is rotted away to nothing.

Back