Which Programmer/chip is best? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Which Programmer/chip is best?

Which Programmer or Chip is best for 96 4.0L for mixed driving (on/off-road)

• Hypertech Programmer

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Apten Chip

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • Diablo Chip

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Superchips Tuner SCT9100

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sn8kman

Reaction score
City, State
Toledo, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT
I've tried the Hypertech Power Programmer and liked it, but I'd like to have more options or be able to customize it a little more. What I'm looking at is the SCT9100 or Superchips Tuning code reader/tuner for those not familiar. I have lifted only slightly - 1.5" running 31" tires, currently have open conical K&N filtercharger and looking to upgrade the entire intake and MAF and possibly the front and rear diff's. Also, I'd like something that can tune my Father's 99 SOHC X.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I do believe most chips/programmers are equal today, It's the human that programs the device that makes all the diff.
Am currantly running an Apten single program chip, set up by Brian Herron about a year ago, it is to die for.
My new SCT Excalibrator will be here maybe tomorrow, it has three programs installed one of which is a nitrous program.
SCT is also about to launch a program wherby you can download your own programs via PC into there currant flasher models.
I do believe the SCT 9100 has been discontinued due to high cost and little interest, ,at least that what I have been told.

I doubt you will get many responses other than Apten. This site supports Apten. However since Brian left I know a lot of people have had trouble getting there chips burned. I have a apten, its the best.

they are all the same.

the only way they are really any good is if you get to put your truck on the dyno and burn the chip perfectly for it that way.

otherwise its just a matter of which company can guess best etc. and i don't know why any of them would be any better than the others.

Is there a power chip for the 1991 4.0? I cant seem to find anything but a throttle body spacer and exuast. And speaking of throttle body spacers des anyone have an opinion about that on the 4 litre?

Back