Which Tranny's are interchangeable with my 96 Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Which Tranny's are interchangeable with my 96 Ford Explorer

MoKoN87

Reaction score
City, State
Deland, Fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Explorer LE
Good morning Everyone!

This is my first thread on here so if ive posted in the wrong area please forgive me. I have a 1996 Ford Explorer Limited Edition 6 cylinder 4.0. The transmission keeps pushing the front seal out. I bought the truck a few months back from a guy who said the tranny had been rebuilt. well, about a month into driving it, one day I started smoking real bad, came out of gear and coasted to a stop. Long story short, when i got it home, pulled the tranny, the front seal in the bell housing where the torque converter is located had walked out. So I replaced it, reinstalled everything, filled her up with fluid and was on my way. About 3 weeks later, BAM! the same thing happened again. Im gonna finish pulling the tranny today but im positive that the seal walked out again. What could keep causing this and also, which transmissions are interchangeable with my truck. The tranny I have now is a 4r55e. I have a guy on craigslist with a 2000 explorer that has a 5r55e tranny he will sell for $100?? Will it work or no? Thank you all any help and taking the time to read my situation! have a great day

Brad McConaghy :salute:

Welcome to this forum! The 5R55E will work with a few swapped parts from the 4R55E such as the DTRS, TCC, and EPC solenoids. You should flush the cooling system & front cooler, and increase the size of the weep hole for the converter drain back in the bellhousing. It doesn't sound like your 4R55E is shot. You should take the 5R55E for spare parts or as a core to rebuild for that price if it's no good.

Back