No forward drive in 4r55e transmission. HELP! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

No forward drive in 4r55e transmission. HELP!

Magick_Man

Reaction score
City, State
Riverside,CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT
I have a 1996 Ford Explorer that I bought a used 4r55e transmission. I saw this tranny in a wrecking yard, someone pulled the engine and the tranny was just hanging by the shift cable, so I grabbed it! I saw that it was possibly a rebuild because it had a new converter and the factory tags had been washed away. My old transmission had bad solenoids and this tranny was cheaper than buying new ones. I pulled the pan and welded in a drain plug ( the pan was clean of metal or clutch material! ). I installed a new filter and gasket, front and rear seals ( old seals looked brand new! ) and installed it in my truck. I patially drained the tourqe converter by turnning it upside-down in a bucket. I filled the transmission with 4 quarts of mercon fluid and 1 bottle of Lucas transmissin additive, and then started the engine. I then started to add the second 4 quart jug of mercon trans fluid and decided to check the fluid level. It was a tad overfull! I ran the trans through all the gears and it worked fine! It shifted through all gears while on jack stands. I then drained a little fluid out with my new drain plug and set the truck on the wheels, checked for leaks ( a little fluid seeped out of the overflow vent ), I cleand it up and went for a test drive! It backed up fine but NO DRIVE! I have NO forward gears at all! it worked fine on the stands! I also noticed a slight front pump whine ?? HELP! Could overfilling the transmission blow something out! could the thicker lucas additive make this problem worse?? Im STUCK!:banghead:
I appreciate any and all coments or advice!
Thanks,
Richard
AKA Magick_Man

I'm having this same issue. I've read that it's the band(s) inside the transmission that have gone bad or the clutches if it's full of fluid. have you tried putting it in first or 2nd? and trying to move? does the truck just rev? this is exactly what mine is doing after driving about 10 miles on the highway, it just took a dump!

Back