5r55e pump seal replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5r55e pump seal replacement

jclaudii

Reaction score
I'm going to pull the transmission out of the 99 explorer this weekend so I can see if the reason it leaks fluid out between the engine and tranny is just a seal. It still moves if you can keep fluid in it.

What is involved with replacing the seal. I bought one for 9 bucks along with a filter kit and a couple gallons of tranny fluid.

I'm going to pull the transfer off the back to make it lighter, then I'm going to undo the bolts at the bell housing and then unhook the flexlate/torque converter. (I'm guessing I don't have to do this if I want to leave the torque converter hooked up to the flexplate and just pull tranny out first and then undo the torque converter.) I will drain what oil remains in it and try and reuse some of it since it is a high mileage tranny.

let me know of anything I am missing when it comes to installing this 9 dollar seal.

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You have to unbolt the starter, also make sure the bell housing to trans bolt are snug and not leaking fluid as they have o rings on them under the head to prevent them from leaking.

Thanks, I'll check that as well tomorrow. Hopefully my wife and I can pull it in a couple of hours.

I'm going to pull the transmission out of the 99 explorer this weekend so I can see if the reason it leaks fluid out between the engine and tranny is just a seal. It still moves if you can keep fluid in it.

What is involved with replacing the seal. I bought one for 9 bucks along with a filter kit and a couple gallons of tranny fluid.

I'm going to pull the transfer off the back to make it lighter, then I'm going to undo the bolts at the bell housing and then unhook the flexlate/torque converter. (I'm guessing I don't have to do this if I want to leave the torque converter hooked up to the flexplate and just pull tranny out first and then undo the torque converter.) I will drain what oil remains in it and try and reuse some of it since it is a high mileage tranny.

let me know of anything I am missing when it comes to installing this 9 dollar seal.

Thanks.

try not to pull the trans and leave the converter in the car, this can cause pump damage, or converter damage, esp on the edges where the seal ride.

The manual states that you should not turn the engine backwards on the SOHC engine as it might damage a cam shaft chain tensioner, when turning to get at the torque converter bolts. I totally agree with waskly, take the torque converter with the trans.

Long time in between updates, Seal looked good but we repalced it anyway, made sure all the trans to belhousing bolts were tight and we got it already going back in. Only think we can think of now is a blown gasket around the valve body or something allowing pressure to build up. THe vent line was cloged as well.

Any other ideas before we button it up?

can someone please tell me where the FRONT PUMP assembly is located on the transmission? i heard that this can go bad and cause lost of forward gears too. thank u !

Ha! Only 10 years behind here, but if anyone else needs this question answered, the front pump is located at the very front of the transmission, essentially it is at the base of the bell housing where the bell housing mounts to the trans face.

The only way to gain access to the front pump is by removing the transmission, then the torque converter. The converter is directly in front of the pump, as well, the torque converters flange runs through the center of the front pump… Hope this helps

Back