• Register Today It's free!

Which wheel bearing is it?

dcm0123

Reaction score
City, State
Hamilton, Mass
Year, Model & Trim Level
99&01 Sprt, 04&05 Explr
When driving it has a humming noise which sounds like a front wheel bearing. Tires are in good condition.

I start to hear the noise at 20 mph, it is very loud at 40 to 50 mph then much less noise at 60 mph.

If while driving straight ahead I turn the wheel about 15 degress to the left at 40 MPH, the noise goes away. If I turn it slightly to the right, it does not change or gets slighly worse.

Does anyone have an idea if it is the left or right front wheel bearing?

My understanding is sometimes you can only figure this out if you take the bearing out. I am hoping I do not have to pull both out to find the bad one.

Thank you

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When driving it has a humming noise which sounds like a front wheel bearing. Tires are in good condition.

I start to hear the noise at 20 mph, it is very loud at 40 to 50 mph then much less noise at 60 mph.

If while driving straight ahead I turn the wheel about 15 degress to the left at 40 MPH, the noise goes away. If I turn it slightly to the right, it does not change or gets slighly worse.

Does anyone have an idea if it is the left or right front wheel bearing?

My understanding is sometimes you can only figure this out if you take the bearing out. I am hoping I do not have to pull both out to find the bad one.

Thank you

Jack the car up and try to spin both wheels. Shake them too. You may get a clue there.

It's the left. If the bearing gets louder when you turn right, the left bearing is bad. But spinning them individually will be more definitive.

I agree. It's the left. When you turn right, you are putting more wight/load on the left wheel.

I would replace both sides if your going to do them.Its best to always replace them as a set.If one side is failing, it wont be long before the other goes.:roll:

I would replace both sides if your going to do them.Its best to always replace them as a set.If one side is failing, it wont be long before the other goes.:roll:

I have to counter this statement. I would definately take a look at the opposite side, but just because one is failing doesn't mean both will. Also with the economy like it is most people can only afford to change one, and this is perfectly acceptable in this situation.

If your fix one side and it does not remedy the problem then move to the other, but at $125 and 2 hours per side I would just fix the one that is making the noise right now.

if you're doing this yourself, and have the time...

I do agree with it most likely being the left.

But, before actually replacing it... take everything apart, and remove the bearing/hub assy.

now turn it by hand. If it has a "dry" feel to it, it's bad.

I have to counter this statement. I would definately take a look at the opposite side, but just because one is failing doesn't mean both will. Also with the economy like it is most people can only afford to change one, and this is perfectly acceptable in this situation.

If your fix one side and it does not remedy the problem then move to the other, but at $125 and 2 hours per side I would just fix the one that is making the noise right now.

Wheel bearing are not that expensive.Ifone sides failing its because the grease is failing inside.Its the safiest to do both.Ive had experience with wheel bearings siezing up on rangers and explorers,and once this happens your replacing the spindle along with the bearings.Now that sound like fun or a chunk of change you want to spend.Its better to be safe than sorry.

By the way,I would charge $125 to do both sides,bearings only.Thats tax,parts and labor.Parts cost $60 and I can do both sides in one hour.

the AWD/4wd are alot more expensive since they are sealed units. Your easily looking at over $150 each.

It turned out to be the right.
Niether side showed any looseness when jacked up but the RH sounded dry when rotated after taken out. Did not remove the LH.
My son said he hit a big pothole in Boston on the RH side 2 days ago. I had my doubts if it was the RH because it was replaced with a low cost Ebay hub assembly about 1 year ago.
I decided to replace it with a AutoZone Timken hub for $160.

vehicle 2001 Explorer Sport 4WD ~150K miles

Wheel bearing are not that expensive.Ifone sides failing its because the grease is failing inside.Its the safiest to do both.Ive had experience with wheel bearings siezing up on rangers and explorers,and once this happens your replacing the spindle along with the bearings.Now that sound like fun or a chunk of change you want to spend.Its better to be safe than sorry.

By the way,I would charge $125 to do both sides,bearings only.Thats tax,parts and labor.Parts cost $60 and I can do both sides in one hour.

You are incorrect, sir.
The sealed wheel bearing/hub assy's for the 4WD and AWD Explorers are well over $100 each.

If you would only charge $125 to do both sides, parts and labor, with each assy costing well over $100/ea, you'd be out of business quick.

edit: oh, and the 4WD/AWD do not have spindles. Just knuckles and the hub/bearing assemblies.

You are incorrect, sir.
The sealed wheel bearing/hub assy's for the 4WD and AWD Explorers are well over $100 each.

If you would only charge $125 to do both sides, parts and labor, with each assy costing well over $100/ea, you'd be out of business quick.

edit: oh, and the 4WD/AWD do not have spindles. Just knuckles and the hub/bearing assemblies.

He did not say if it was 2 or 4 wheel drive so I assumed it was 2 wheel drive and thats the cost.Or at least it was when I did it.Parts have got more expensive this year so it could fluctuate.The thread starters picture looks like a 2 wheel drive explorer.Sorry for not incuding that very specific info that would verify my knowledge.Im just an outside sourse of info like everyone else here.Sometimes minor details are left,that will speak the truth.

I must say, if you did repairs this cheap you would have people line up around the block. Even at a junkyard they want $75 for a used bearing hub assembly.

on another note I am glad to see that the poster found a solution, is there any marginal difference in the $160 part compared to the $120 mastercraft?

I must say, if you did repairs this cheap you would have people line up around the block. Even at a junkyard they want $75 for a used bearing hub assembly.

on another note I am glad to see that the poster found a solution, is there any marginal difference in the $160 part compared to the $120 mastercraft?

Read the post above,Make sure you leave the specific information needed to get a respectable truthful answer.Yes I know 4 wheel drives are more,thats a given.If any of you have ever had or worked on a 2 wheel drive model you would understnd where im coming from.Lets stop this chit chat here about whos right or wrong.

Its funny to here you guys try and trash me when you didnt even say what type of car it was,2 or 4 wheel drive tell after I posted my past costs of wheel bearing replacements.:thumbdwn:

Read the post above,Make sure you leave the specific information needed to get a respectable truthful answer.Yes I know 4 wheel drives are more,thats a given.If any of you have ever had or worked on a 2 wheel drive model you would understnd where im coming from.Lets stop this chit chat here about whos right or wrong.

Yes I read it. I have worked on a 2w/d model and I know the bearings can be purchased for $40 for both front wheels. I know the original poster did not state 2wd or 4wd so I gave WORST case $$ figures. If you have done any work for $$ you know it is always best to give a worst case quote, then work down from there. I'm sure this person would have been quite upset running into the store with a $50 bill only to find out they aren't even allowed to look at the box for what they have in hand.

Its funny to here you guys try and trash me when you didnt even say what type of car it was,2 or 4 wheel drive tell after I posted my past costs of wheel bearing replacements.:thumbdwn:

I simply stated you would have a lot of business for that fix at your price, if that is "trashing" you then you must get outside more often. I was not attempting to berate you, simply stating a fact. If you did charge $125 for both sides you would have a TON of business plain and simple.

You are correct, sir!
I did not realize the OP did not state 4wd or 2wd, other folks that replied just assumed 4wd/AWD, so I, too, ASSuMEd. :banghead:

glad to hear OP got it squared away though! :hammer:

You are correct, sir!
I did not realize the OP did not state 4wd or 2wd, other folks that replied just assumed 4wd/AWD, so I, too, ASSuMEd. :banghead:

glad to hear OP got it squared away though! :hammer:

On this note, I do find it funny you don't hear much about the bearings failing on a 2wd. I imagine it's due to them only costing about $20 per side to replace so people will repair even if they have an inkling. That extra $120 per side makes people want definate proof before repairing.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I live in a world of ford fanatics so my parts cost is far less than what most mechanic shops get them for.I always have low ball estimates thats just me.My parts cost for 2wd runs around $25 and 4wd is around $135. I charge a great deal less for alot of people because shops are outragious.Shops charge a set hourly rate of how long it takes to fix certain parts,regardless if it really takes the mechanic half the time.This is were people get ripped off all the time.

Didnt mean to confuse or start a argument,People always say how can you do it that cheap,when you have owned used fords all your life and everyone of your friend who cant change a tire own a ford and always see you fixing yours,then theres extra money to be made.Its great to have connections too.I can usually cut most estimates on auto repairs in half,saving people a great deal of money.

Back