• Register Today It's free!

Troubleshooting Wheel bearings

kevin25.4

Reaction score
City, State
INDIANAPOLIS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 EB AWD 5.0
I’m looking for any advise on identify a bad wheel bearing. I’ve got a 01 AWD with 100000 on it.
I’ve had a loud whining noise from the front between 40 &45 mph. I’ve raised both wheels and everything feels solid with no play.
Thanks in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does the noise change if you load one side down (mine got louder when I would take an off-ramp, then quiet down when I straightened back out).

That would at least tell you what side is worse.

wheel bearings usually have a low rumble, same with carrier bearings, high pitched whine is pinion bearings usually. Does the noise change at exactly the same rate as road speed?

i thought one of my bearings was bad too, i lifted the truck up and everything seemed solid. So i had my tires balanced and rotated. The noise seems to have disappeared for now.

When my right-side bearing was done, it made loud grinding noises during any sharp turn to the left. I was manuevering around in a parking lot, and there was no question something was bad. It sounded like the front end of the truck was being ripped off. At that point, there was a noticeable amount of play with the wheel off the ground.

I also believe that a low rumble which changes pitch with speed and increases in turns is the first indication that one is on it's way out. I'd call it similar to what an unbalanced washing machine sounds like (mine anyway). I think that my left-side may be there now, so I'm getting set to change it out. The last time I had it off the ground (a couple weeks ago), it was still tight.

I've changed both wheel bearing anf the front diff. fluid but the sound is still there. I would like to get it fixed before vacation this summer. has anyone had a ploblem with the cv shaft making this kind of noise?
How hard is the carrier bearing and the pinion bearings to change.just looking at the front end makes me thin it's a PITA

Thanks in advance

Im pretty certain my bearings are bad. sounds similar to an airplane driving down the road, I jacked it up and the drivers side front wheel only spins like half a turn and the passengers isnt too much better, its only $100 or so for the hub kit but I was wondering if I should pay an extra 140 for the **** suckers to change it or if it's something I could do one evening this week, the less those ass holes touch my car the better.

Back