• Register Today It's free!

whistling noise

mercracing

Reaction score
City, State
Kaukauna, Wisconisn
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Eddie Bauer
When I am crusing down the highway on a windy day, there is this whistling noise coming from the front passenger side(am/fm antennna) ish area. Has anyone else heard this? Is there something to tighten down?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I also have this same noise in my 2005. I have no idea what it is. I just bought the vehicle, so i am new to this. It drives me crazy I also need help on figuring this out, any ideas would be great.

same problem, '03 EB.

i noticed this after my windshield was replaced in my 02 mountaineer

I get it when there is a bad crosswind. So 90% of the time i hear nothing. I first thought it was the plastic trim on passenger window frame, then i thought it was the surround on the windshield, now i'm completely clueless. Sounds like plastic vibrating REALLY fast. Almost like blowing on a blade of grass between your thumbs. Unfortunately i cannot reproduce it with the passenger window down and its very omnipresent so i cant discern where indeed it originates. looking forward to a solution!

Light them if you got em... use a cigarette and drive on the highway where you heard the whistling. While at speed run the lit cigarette along edges of windshield and look at the smoke to pin point the air leak. Repair as needed.

crudster, is your sunroof opened (fully retracted into roof) when you hear the noise? If you have sunroof is your air deflector on sunroof up? I know that on some vehicles with a larger sunroof the fluttering noise gets worse as the sunroof is opened to it's maximum. Also fluttering noise if deflector is stuck down or broken. Should not get fluttering noise if sunroof is tilted upwards.

Sorry, i don't have a sunroof or any kind of plastic door trim other than what comes stock (i.e. none of that sun visor stuff people put on). No water leaking in either so i'm happy to live with the once in a blue moon noise although its always fun to fix something too :p

I also had same noise on windy days. I found that it was the plastic grill vibrating up against the windshield and the frame. I used silicone caulk in-between to secure and prevent the vibration. For the most; that fixed it.
Every now and than I'll get a very short vibe, but it's at least 95% better than it was. :thumbsup: I must have missed a spot.

If you prefer not to smoke in your vehicle, you can cut a short (or long, as needed) piece of plain ol' 3/8" air hose, like used on an air compressor. Put one end in or near your ear and use the other end to move around the windshield, window, etc to pinpoint the source. Like a stethascope but cheaper and more effective.

I do this all the time at work to detect air leaks on pneumatic devices. Works like a charm. I use it under the hood to pinpoint locations of strange noises. Be careful of moving parts!

I ended up removing the trim that the window sits in when closed (with the window down you can grab the corner at the top (toward back of vehicle) and pull down and move it out of the way easily. This exposes the screws that hold the vertical black plastic cover that goes over the door frame (above door handle).

I know thats a piss poor description but if you follow me this far you are doing well. What i found was the screw holes in the plastic trim broke and they werent held in with the screws very well. Air could get in and rattle this trim quite easily.

I removed it, put some doublesided sticky foam strip under where the the holes in the trim would be, then i put the screws back in with washers. The doublesided tape would have probably held it, but the screws are insurance if the wind every got under it. The whole thing took 30 minutes to figure out and fix. So far (knock on wood) its been about 4 months and no whistling / buzzing.

It would seem that any trim thats loose can probably buzz like this.

Back