Who is running different coils with thier 5.5" superlift?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Who is running different coils with thier 5.5" superlift??

Positive Vibes

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Santa Cruz, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
OK my coils are sagging again and instead of replacing them again with the standard SL coils I was looking for other options. Wild horses??? Skyjacker 6" coils which I understand are softer???

So what you big dogs running?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

skyjacker 6 inchers will work.

6" Skyjacker coils will fit yes, but hes alrady having issues with the stiffer Superlift coils sagging so a softer spring may not be a good choice here

Is it the stiffness of the spring, or is it the manufacture of it? Are the SL coils equivilent in quality/durability to the SJ ones? How about Rancho or Trailmaster?

what about fullsize bronco coils?

I think someone asked about fullsize Bronco coils not too long ago... I believe the answer was that the coils were too large for the seats and wouldn't work without a lot of fabrication... in essence, I think the verdict was "not worth it"... then again, it could be something that you might like to do... <Shrugs>

Edit: Found the other thread here.

haha it was me

well actually me but i dont mind. i went and got those bronco coils today and the free length is 18 inches, and the diamiter is about 1/4" larger then the Explorer springs

You can use F-250 shock towers and full size F-150 or Bronco coil buckets, heck custom coil buckets and run any coil you want, even make them adjustable.
Non TTB coils will need fabrication where they are retained to the beam/radius arm

Using the full size truck buckets may space the coils out too far from the radius arm and too close to the tire, I have never seen this done without also running wider/custom beams or a solid axle so I cant say for sure

Cut coil buckets off truck, bolt and weld new buckets on in desired location to use early bronco or Jeep coils you can also sometimes gain bump travel by doing this, but be careful you dont put your diff through the lift bracket

Back