whos got the best switch mounting spot | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

whos got the best switch mounting spot

Who has got the best place that they mounted their switch for aux. lights.
on my 92 xlt i put mine in the change flip up, i took out the quarter spot...made it a bit bigger and stuck my switch in there, i put a little black silicone to hold it in.
everyone that sees it is like damn thats cool...because its got the breadbox flip up cover on it...so i flip up the cover and no one sees the switch.

My 94 did not come with fog lights so I used the space provided for them on the left side of the lower dash below the rear window defroster switch. I cut some thick black plastic, that matched the color and texture of the stock switches, to make a base, then put the 2 lighted rocker switches for my KC lights there. Both are wired to only have power in "run" so I don't kill my battery. I also hooked them up so both sets only run with the high beams on so I can use them as driving lights (really bright driving lights).

I also have a very small switch that powers my CB radio down below the right side of my steering column. Its black with red trim, on the "power" side and looks stock.

Best place for a switch

:rolleyes: the best place that I found on a 92 Ford Explorer is Under the Rear Defroster and Rear Window Wiper Switch. I have two switch for the driving lights and valet switch for the alarm.

Future Switches are going to be mounted on the frontside of the center console for the outside neons and additional switch for the inside neons. :smoke:

I thought thats what I just said?? I guess great minds think alike??

Another good spot for hidden switches is to put push button switches in the center console. I put 3 at the front edge of the inside of the center console, 1 that kills the dome lights when I'm camping and want to listed to the stereo without the dome lights coming on, 1 for my removable fan that is attached to my dogs cage, and 1 for turning off the ABS. I haven't figured out how to wire the last one yet, I just keep pulling the fuses.

I also wired in 2 extra power outlets, 1 by the rear hatch, 1 at the front of the center console under the cup holders. There is a lot of wasted space under the cup holders that I used for an supplemental fuse panel.

Back