Why can't I find a new pair of CV Axles? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Why can't I find a new pair of CV Axles?

Dubious_Downfall

Reaction score
City, State
Fife, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Mazda Navajo LX
Been searching for a week now. Ebay, AutoZone, Advanced Auto Parts, O'Reilly's, Amazon, RockAuto,and just google in general. WHY is it so hard to find replacement CV axles? I'm looking for front ones specifically.

Someone please correct me if I'm not on the right track.

This started because of a clicking in my front drivers side while turning right. It's gotten worse and it's driving me nuts on top of the fuel stalls I've been having. I'm preparing for the possibility of weekly 6 hour trips. This is just another hitch. Any help would be a godsend.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What year is your truck?

Your profile says you have a 93 sport. The only way the clicking could be the axle shafts is if you're driving around in 4wd (highly doubtful).

You may have other issues like wheel bearings or a bad automatic hub.

If it is an issue with the axle shafts an easier fix is to replace the U joints. It'a about the same amount of work as installing new shafts or rebuilt ones

1993 does not have CV axles it has axle half shafts with U joints

1993 does not have CV axles it has axle half shafts with U joints

This completely solves the question of why it's so bloody hard to find. It doesn't exist. Lol

I guess it's time to go find that ChrisFix video on replacing U joints...

Thanks guys! Especially Albino. I'm actually relieved to hear that it's probably the U joints. CV axle replacement looks like hell for someone like me with very few specialty tools.

Stub shaft U joints aren't a piece of cake either. You have to take the spindles off to get them out and one of the 2 on the passenger side is locked into the diff with a 'C' clip. That's a major undertaking to get that inner stub shaft out and leads to a 'C' clip elimination modification.

But, it can be done in a driveway, not quite as easy on the trail but still doable.

that inner U joint can be changed out in the truck............with a ball joint press

Back