Why EE sway bars?

Brian_B

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Mountain Home, AR
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 mounty / 56 f-100
I know everyone around here likes the EE sway bars. I was just wondering why in particular you think they are better than other brands for our applications?

The EE rear bar is 1.125 dia with Energy Suspension poly bushings. $179.95 + shipping. It does not say how they are bent, nor what they are made of. (thats puzzling to me)

I found addco bars cheaper (around $130), but was not impressed with them. They are 1" dia, but you have to reuse your old (worn out) hardware to mount them (not good-IMHO).

The next ones I found were hellwig. I have heard of this brand name for years dealing with suspension. They too are 1" dia, but come with Polyurethane bushings. They are made from "High quality hot formed and heat treated 4140 chrome moly spring steel" and have a "Lifetime Warranty". They are approximately the same price as the EE ones.

I assume everyone will recommend the EE bars, but why? I just want to find out whats the best bars for the bucks. The hellwig ones are .125 (1/8") of an inch smaller diameter, but the warranty and what they are made of looks good to me.

Thanks,
Brian_B

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Get the hellwig so we can have other brand input. =D

I just bought the EE ones because there was a group buy happening at the time. I love them. I don't know how much difference that 1/8" would do though.

Be different and get the hellwig, you know sacrifice a little for the gang. =)

Its be rumored(lol) that the EE is going to be increasing with price. So if this one is just as good, it'll be cheaper. The material the Hellwigs are made out of may make up for the 1/8" difference. Although I can't see 1/8" making THAT much of a difference.

Where have you seen the Hellwigs?

I found the hellwig for $150 (plus shipping) later last night. Thats cheaper than the EE one already. Hmm....I was hoping somone had one already. LOL

Anyone know what the stock diameter of ours is off hand? I know.....I could go measure it ;) , but I am in my good clothes and hate to go crawl under it right now with a micrometer.

I contacted the company for a list of vendors. They are hard to find online. If I am able to purchase one, it will be after the first of the month (as usual for me).

Keep the ideas coming guys.....this is a good discussion. :)

The stock bar is .750 or right at 3/4 inch.
The EE is a proven design, they also help support this site

I have the helliweg swaybars front and rear on my truck, I've had them for years. I love how it handles. The only thing is that (at least on my truck) it mounts to my rear axle using bent ubolts that go around the shock brackets on the axle housing, and I need new ones. The old ones are hopelessly boogered up, rusted, etc. to the point where they just need to be replaced. During the conversion they were on and off many times, a few of which were at a place I'll never go to again, and they were abused quite a bit. I hope this helps.
--Bob

I know they support this site. I agree with that, but I wanted to know if its the only good option out there and why.

As far as a proven design, thats why I am asking others here. Al just bought a new throttle body because someone said it would fit.

Someone has to start. He is happy with his purchase. Maybe others have tried the hellwigs and are happy (or not). Please share.

From searching around last night, there were a lot of vehicles running them, just not many explorers (a few).

One member (Bored_2wd) just posted he has had them for years on his 93.

Lets keep the information and opinions coming in.

Basing a buying decision purely on others opinions creates a lemming effect. I hang out on a well known mountainbike site, and so many people buy stuff sight unseen because of the groupthink that develops on message boards, only to be unhappy down the road. I think of so many components that were the "flavour of the month" only to be replaced by something down the road that is "newer and cooler".

Buy what you feel works for YOU and don't worry about what others think. I scored a TB as well. Frankly, I didn't base the decision on Al's purchase at all. I got it because it was compatible with my Ex and I like try new things out for myself. I also scored an EE bar because it made sense that it would be more effective. All you need to do is compare an OEM bar to the original to see that the OEM is flimsy and EE bar is beefy. The bar you're thinking about sounds like good stuff. If you feel comfortable with it, go nuts. I doubt it highly that there will be much performance difference between the two. I agree with others that EE is tried and true, but it doesn't hurt to be a pioneer either.

There's my rant for the day. ;)

I can't question the build quality of the EE bar, I don't think it could get much better. It creates a signficant improvement in handling. A little pricey.

sway bars

i have the ee's and i'm very happy with them. huge difference in handling
from my stock bars. i too researched sway bars before i started the last group buy.

from what i saw out there and yes from reading others members experiences
i felt that ee's are tried and tested. (there are articles in magazines)so lets say i took the safe road.

With this info i decided to go with them. Like what was mentioned previously
go try the helwigs and post your experience with them who knows, they might be better or worse?

Im pretty sure either way it will be better than stock.

good luck.

I'd go with the Hellwigs if I were you, I know the EE's are tried and proven, and they are a site sponsor; but at the moment they basically have a monopoly on the explorer swaybar market, so they charge as much as they want. If you introduced another brand of swaybar that was just as effective, it would likely drive costs for the EE down, because otherwise everyone would go to Hellwig.

Fortunately swaybars are not a super complicated concept, I honestly cannot imagine that the EE's 'mystery metal' swaybars with their 1/8'' advantage over the chromed steel Hellwigs would make much of a difference when both are at least a 1/4" beefier than stock.

HOWEVER, are the Hellwigs you are looking at including BOTH the front and rear swaybars? or just one? their website suggests they are sold seperately.

oh right, sorry guys, forgot to look at the year.

Al beat me to it. The front ones on the later years are already heavier. Even the EE website agrees with that.

There is no rush on any decision on my part. I get paid once a month, so its after the first before I can even consider it. :) :( (Mixed emotions)

Are all 2nd gen rear stock bars hollow?

Don't know, but they are pretty small. Spindlecone said above that they are about 3/4" O.D.

95-97 only, the 98+ have solid bars up front.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back