Why wont my truck start after its been running a while? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Why wont my truck start after its been running a while?

KyBucks10

Reaction score
City, State
Lexington Kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XLT
Ive got a 95 ranger xlt. 2.3 liter with no mods. i ran lucas injector cleaner in it, and about a month later i seafoamed everything. then i replaced all the plugs and wires. now ever since i seafoamed it, it will start up with no problems at all from a cold start. if i drive it for a few miles though and turn the truck off, then try to restart it within 5-10 mintutes, it just turns over. i know its not lack of fuel because i can smell it. what do you all think?? i would love to get it fixed. any and all opinions are appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have seen a bad O2 sensor do that, you have any codes?

after some research, i may have figured out what you are talking about. first. yes my check engine light it on. i have gone before to get it checked out, but was told that the code said it had something to do with a fuel line. (i cant remember. its been over a year ago) i was told by 2 or 3 mechanic friends of mine that if it is not acting up then it shouldnt be anything to worry about. i did some research on the o2 sensors tonight. i think that i am going to go out tomorrow and get a new o2 sensor and put it in. i am really hoping that this will help solve any problems that i have. what do you think? do you think this is the right move?

im also going to get some mass air flow sensor cleaner and clean that as well as clean up the throttle body some.

i know im getting fuel because i can smell it flooding when i try turning it over. i know im getting spark because i have recently checked my coils and replaced all the plugs and wires. the only thing thats left is o2. im hoping that by cleaning up/replacing some of these things tomorrow, that i will be in good running order.

anyone have any extra tips for me? ive watched probably 20 videos on youtube tonight and it all seems pretty self explanatory. anything i need to know though?

thanks again for any help!

squirt that sucker tonight and let it soak if you plan on taking it out tomorrow, they can get seized (rusted) to a point they need alot of influence to get out without damaging the threads.;)

Oh and put some anti seize on the new one for future disassemble ease.

I had this exact problem in a '96 5.0 explorer. turned out to be a bad engine temperature sensor... the engine would only cold start - would not warm start.

note that in that vehicle, there was a separate temperature sensor for the gauge as the one for the computer. so while the gauge read temp accurately, the computer's temp sensor didn't report back the right engine temp so the computer wouldn't do the correct mixture for a warm start. and it just cranked over.

Do yourself a favor and instead of throwing parts at it, have it scanned for codes, then post them here. Many auto part stores provide this service for free.
after some research, i may have figured out what you are talking about. first. yes my check engine light it on. i have gone before to get it checked out, but was told that the code said it had something to do with a fuel line. (i cant remember. its been over a year ago) i was told by 2 or 3 mechanic friends of mine that if it is not acting up then it shouldnt be anything to worry about. i did some research on the o2 sensors tonight. i think that i am going to go out tomorrow and get a new o2 sensor and put it in. i am really hoping that this will help solve any problems that i have. what do you think? do you think this is the right move?

So I decided that I was not that interested in fixing a $60 part that I wasn't even sure was bad. I did however clean the mass air flow sensor and throttle body. This has seemed to fix my problem!! Its driving 100x smoother and it stalled it/ shut it off like 6-7 times once I got it hot after cleaning everything. It seemed to think it just came off the show room floor! We will see if it stays in good running order!

I agree with rhauf engines coolant sensor they are not that hard to replace just make sure you get the one with the same type of plugin.

I had this exact problem in a '96 5.0 explorer. turned out to be a bad engine temperature sensor... the engine would only cold start - would not warm start.

note that in that vehicle, there was a separate temperature sensor for the gauge as the one for the computer. so while the gauge read temp accurately, the computer's temp sensor didn't report back the right engine temp so the computer wouldn't do the correct mixture for a warm start. and it just cranked over.

can you let me know where this sensor is? i would love to get it fixed. it gets pretty annoying having to wait to get my truck started.

btw my problem did really go away. i went back out a few hours later and it still would start after being hot. im definitely thinking its a sensor somewhere.

+1 to post #8 (1998Exp) NEED to have the codes read, you're STILL guessing!

+1 to post #8 (1998Exp) NEED to have the codes read, you're STILL guessing!

i will go get the codes today. i will post them up whenever i get off work.

here are the codes... i know why the coolant temp sensor is bad. its beause it doesnt have one. i replaced the part but did not replace the sensor. im planning on doing that sometime this week.

any other advice, though?

codes5.jpg

codes4.jpg

codes3.jpg

codes2.jpg

codes1.jpg

any help with those codes???

Engine Coolant temperature sensor. which is the P0118.
Oxygen Sensor that monitors the rear Catalytic converter which is P0141
Intake Air temperature sensor which is P0113

Im not sure on the others, but if the ECT sensor is bad, it could throw all the other error codes. I'd personally start with it. I had the same issue with my 5.7L GMC It seemed to load up and would not start at all. Good Luck

i know why the coolant temp sensor is bad. its beause it doesnt have one. i replaced the part but did not replace the sensor.
???

" i know why the coolant temp sensor is bad. its beause it doesnt have one. i replaced the part but did not replace the sensor"

You mean it is unplugged from the sensor?
you have to have a CTS in place or it will be spraying coolant everywhere.

I am having somewhat of the same issue with cold starting and narrowed it down to this:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171819

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Engine Coolant temperature sensor. which is the P0118.
Oxygen Sensor that monitors the rear Catalytic converter which is P0141
Intake Air temperature sensor which is P0113

Im not sure on the others, but if the ECT sensor is bad, it could throw all the other error codes. I'd personally start with it. I had the same issue with my 5.7L GMC It seemed to load up and would not start at all. Good Luck

i put a new sensor in it just now and im going to run back over there after work today and have it ran again for codes. we will see if any of the other codes are cleared off.

Back