Wife’s 2015 Ford Explorer sport she wants it built for off road. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wife’s 2015 Ford Explorer sport she wants it built for off road.

Depends on region. All else equal, 9 years less rust.

2 weeks ago, I went out to my '98, and I see the right fog lamp hanging from its wires, under the bumper. Cage around it rusted out.

I ordered one, just received it a few days ago. Haven't had a chance to put it on yet, but walked by my '98 again yesterday and what did I see? LEFT fog lamp, now also hanging from its wires, under the bumper. lol, at least I found a good price on replacements from a one-off seller on ebay. It seems like a trivial part and it is, but is just the most recent among many rust related repairs. I feel lucky that my frame isn't swiss cheese yet.
I was purely talking performance. There’s plenty of non rusty explorers still rolling around.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You are debating between two generations of Explorers that really, cannot be built into any serious off road vehicle. If your going to start a off road vehicle build, really the only Explorers that can be built into capable off roaders are the 1st and 2nd gens.

Agreed. The IRS doesn't travel enough, and it's weak. Not even fair to compare it to an 8.8 straight axle.

When your axle goes thru your frame, it's not going to drop enough to keep both tires planted. In fact, this tire lift can get you into serious trouble.

I don't think his wife isn't looking for some rad rock crawling monster. I took it as she wants some limited mods to make her 2015 Explorer Sport a little more off road capable. A 3rd or 4th gen would likely fill this role for her while retaining some creature comforts and refinement. The 5th gens are just not designed to accept any remotely serious off roading mods.

I don't think his wife isn't looking for some rad rock crawling monster. I took it as she wants some limited mods to make her 2015 Explorer Sport a little more off road capable. A 3rd or 4th gen would likely fill this role for her while retaining some creature comforts and refinement. The 5th gens are just not designed to accept any remotely serious off roading mods.
I strongly disagree. The 3rd and 4th gen will not do tight , shelf road switchbacks. They are pretty good yes, but just good enough to get you seriously messed up in a remote area.

I've witnessed what to everyone else was just a turn, become a death defying stunt due to a sliding rig on the edge of a shelf, with opposite front and rear tires hanging in air. If it wasn't for quick thinking and a strap, it would have gone down.

Had that vehicle not been with a group. Idunno.

It was a marked county road in Colorado. Maybe 3-4 out of 10 in difficulty

I strongly disagree. The 3rd and 4th gen will not do tight , shelf road switchbacks. They are pretty good yes, but just good enough to get you seriously messed up in a remote area.

I've witnessed what to everyone else was just a turn, become a death defying stunt due to a sliding rig on the edge of a shelf, with opposite front and rear tires hanging in air. If it wasn't for quick thinking and a strap, it would have gone down.

Had that vehicle not been with a group. Idunno.

It was a marked county road in Colorado. Maybe 3-4 out of 10 in difficulty
I am not disputing what you are saying. IMO, the OP's wife likely isn't concerned with performing tight, shelf road switchbacks. She probably would like some more ground clearance to get over uneven terrain a little better. Heck, the 5th gens don't even have 4x4 low range so there isn't much ability to go up steep inclines and have finesse maneuvering at low speeds. Most women do not want to drive around a highly modified 1st or 2nd gen Explorer. I doubt many women would want to drive around a bone stock 1st or 2nd gen Explorer.

I am not disputing what you are saying. IMO, the OP's wife likely isn't concerned with performing tight, shelf road switchbacks. She probably would like some more ground clearance to get over uneven terrain a little better. Heck, the 5th gens don't even have 4x4 low range so there isn't much ability to go up steep inclines and have finesse maneuvering at low speeds. Most women do not want to drive around a highly modified 1st or 2nd gen Explorer. I doubt many women would want to drive around a bone stock 1st or 2nd gen Explorer.
Op didn't even stick with us for an opinion. 😜

@Turdle I was going to say, we can carry on these discussions all day, but until @kburns2358 actually responds with what sort of applications his wife wants to use this for, we really can't have even the slightest idea of suggestions to make. Here we are having an open-ended discussion about potential options for buying different-generation Explorers, while the OP hasn't even given us a clue of what his wife wants. Ha, just proof that we're all a bunch of old truck geeks!

Ok, been like 50 years since I played with cars, hot rods etc. never an off road car just dirt bikes. The wife has a 2015 Ford Explorer sport and wants me to get it set up for some off reading. She’s not riding the quads anymore. The razor is not her style either. So where do I start on her car ?
its amazing car for off road btw just make sure to always put it on mud mode so diff will work 50%-50% balance between front and rear wheels. sand and snow modes are the worst as they send more power to the front wheel

its amazing car for off road btw just make sure to always put it on mud mode so diff will work 50%-50% balance between front and rear wheels. sand and snow modes are the worst as they send more power to the front wheel
If by "amazing" you mean driving down graded forest roads and some snow, then sure. That car wouldn't last five minutes from camp at Truckhaven.

fix up the wheels and suspensions for truckhaven then put it on mud mode then go for it. 50-50 lock diff with 360hp will pull you out of anywhere.
I don't think a 5th gen can get enough lift to do any serious off roading.

fix up the wheels and suspensions for truckhaven then put it on mud mode then go for it. 50-50 lock diff with 360hp will pull you out of anywhere.
Yes. Everyone knows the real secret to off roading is a low slung vehicle, with no flex, or travel, and a lot of power. Works every time.

There happens to be a truck haven meet in the near future. You should show em by golly.

Doubt it. 2010, still full frame, better transmission, strong v8, not rusted out!
it is still body on frame, but it lacks the solid axles and simplicity the 2gs and 1gs have. the lift potential is a bit more limited, compared to the earlier models. all depends on how far off the path you intend to go.

in snow and forest roads sure, i agree. if you want to DD and do some backroad cruising it would be a good route. but for anything past that, i wouldnt reccomend. id like to see a built 5g keep up with the black hole, or the great pumpkin :D doubt a 5g can flex even to this extent (in the rear, not front, we dont talk about front for now ;)
1663608723711.png

even for mud you want both height and power. too much of one and not enough of the other is not a recipe for success. now a lifted 2g or 1g on big ole 37+ boggers, and with 360hp...... now that sounds fun :D

Come on out and show us. Make sure your tow points are secured to something solid.
By the way, this is Truckhaven
20180115_172947.jpg

Come on out and show us. Make sure your tow points are secured to something solid.
By the way, this is Truckhaven
View attachment 434597
even im leery on that ;) would want to drop in the no slip before that, stock 320k LS has seen better days, lol

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

even im leery on that ;) would want to drop in the no slip before that, stock 320k LS has seen better days, lol
You need to come out and meet everyone. The great thing about Truckhaven is there are bypasses to nearly everything.

@Stic-o took the JP mobile on some fairly serious trails with just a torsion lift, and huge huevos before it was the JP mobile.

I think my 35' RV has a better breakover angle than a 2015 Sport. It definitely has more ground clearance.

Back