will 255/70R16 Fit on a stock 2WD? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

will 255/70R16 Fit on a stock 2WD?

wchain

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 XLT V8 2WD
I recently picked up a set of Sport Trac 16" wheels and I have been poking around with tire sizes. 235/70R16 would fit size wise (similar overall diameter) but I remember owning a 96 Eddie Bauer that had 255/70R16 tires on it. Will 255s fit on first gen explorers and not rub?

Thanks
W

I was wondering the same thing. Obviously this question hasn't been answered yet, but I used to have a '97 Explorer XLT with 255/70R15's and they were nice sized. I wonder if that size would fit on my new Sport Trac? Anyone? Beuller? Beuller? Anyone?

I recently picked up a set of Sport Trac 16" wheels and I have been poking around with tire sizes. 235/70R16 would fit size wise (similar overall diameter) but I remember owning a 96 Eddie Bauer that had 255/70R16 tires on it. Will 255s fit on first gen explorers and not rub?

Thanks
W

Yes, those tires are only 30" tall, and you can fit up to a 31x10.50 without running into rubbing problems.

I was wondering the same thing. Obviously this question hasn't been answered yet, but I used to have a '97 Explorer XLT with 255/70R15's and they were nice sized. I wonder if that size would fit on my new Sport Trac? Anyone? Beuller? Beuller? Anyone?

Yes, if they fit on the explorer than they'll fit just fine on the sport trac, the sports tracs actually have larger fenders so you can fit a little bigger tire on them stock.

Back