Never Done, Build Thread for Kenne Bell Supercharged 5.0 Explorer with Ranger Edge Front Clip | Page 16 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Never Done, Build Thread for Kenne Bell Supercharged 5.0 Explorer with Ranger Edge Front Clip

I got the new Green Giant Lightning injectors I ordered by Bosch. They came with seals on the boxes, proof they are genuine, and you can look them up online to be sure, no cheap Chinese knock-offs!!
Nice that you can check
Good to know
My ford performance injectors just came in a motorcraft box lol

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I order the Bosch equivalent to the Lightning on Ebay. I wanted to be sure of what I was getting and everything matches-up to a real Bosch injector.

I think they are big for the build and the high pressure these run, but I couldn't find 36lbser's for this price in my search. I paid $380 or $47.50/inj.

Ugggg, I put a new belt on with a larger idler pulley, went from a 2 1/8" alternator pulley to a 2 1/2" and it slips and squeals like a banshee still!!! I can see that the tensioner is within it's range.

I had to get my tensioner as tight as I could get it without the belt rubbing on the tensioner
Barely got the belt on but no slippage

Thanks
The stock belt is 935mm and I found one that is 930. I hope that will tighten it up enough. I could not get a 925 over the last pulley, too tight.

I think the alternator might be a bit excessive and may try a smaller unit. I barely got he 930mm belt on and it still squeals at high rpm and WOT.

A larger pulley

The alternator only has a load when amps are demanded
More amps more load on your belt
So a new unit may not help
I'd try a bigger pulley

Tinkering....Finally got around to trying a larger air filter:

air-filter.jpg

I had drilled and tapped the air box so I could attach a vacuum gauge. It was showing maybe 3/4 to a 1lb of vacuum at high load and max boost.............................I picked-up 1 1/2 lbs of boost by installing a larger filter! It is noticeable!

Now I need to build a box around the filter to isolate it from the engine heat and pull cool air from the front and fender.

I hope you have good luck making the air cleaner, I've looked at the space and some filters, it is very tight. I have a large Amsoil filter I hope to fit, but there won't be much clearance around the filter, inside the air cleaner.

BTW, if you need a little better blower, I'm going to sell my NOS 2.2 kind of soon. I've seen what they sell for, and the cost of the 2.6 or 2.8 isn't that much more with an intercooler included.

3 quarter " or 1" of mercury isn't that much vacuum

I took from here:

"The reality is that the inlet system is a critical element on a Kenne Bell twin-screw or any positive displacement supercharged application. Restrictions in the air intake system (including the throttle body) into the blower result in a drop in flow into and boost (and power production) out of the blower."

This example was eliminating .29 inches of vacuum with a larger throttle body with a KB blower:
"The 102mm throttle body upgrade dropped the vacuum present in the inlet tract by 0.29 inches and increased boost pressure by 0.3 psi which equated to an extra 8 hp."

I likely gained about a 1lb and 24 horses.................................

It sure sounds faster, you can really hear the supercharger whine with the open filter!!!

Create a engine bay heat shield to maximize the gains. Super simple one is cutting a hole in one of those silver bubble wrap cold-food delivery bags. Aim the open end at the fender.

I took from here:

"The reality is that the inlet system is a critical element on a Kenne Bell twin-screw or any positive displacement supercharged application. Restrictions in the air intake system (including the throttle body) into the blower result in a drop in flow into and boost (and power production) out of the blower."

This example was eliminating .29 inches of vacuum with a larger throttle body with a KB blower:
"The 102mm throttle body upgrade dropped the vacuum present in the inlet tract by 0.29 inches and increased boost pressure by 0.3 psi which equated to an extra 8 hp."

I likely gained about a 1lb and 24 horses.................................

It sure sounds faster, you can really hear the supercharger whine with the open filter!!!
Thanks for your knowledge and the link ;)

This looks to be a cool solution for an air filter housing that is reasonably priced:

spectre-8659831_3.jpg

spectre-2.jpg

I ordered one. It has 4" inlet/outlet, flows up to 700CFM, and will fit the space. I will cut a hole through the fender to pull cool air from there.

They make a few different types, a 3" inlet outlet is available.

I would want something bigger for a boosted V8, the 700cfm sounds like a typical average NA small block airflow. Looking at throttle bodies for engines with boost usually finds cfm figures well above 1000-1500.

I have one of the oldest and largest aftermarket air cleaners in my 99 SOHC V6 truck, the Volant. It's basically a plastic box that fits the space fairly well, with a mild size air filter inside. The filter is a cone style, and I'd guess it's about 6x6" around and long, with at least a 4" inlet.

I'd like to think a similar air cleaner can be made to fit there, and open along the side through the fender with a larger hole than the stock front opening, which is kind of small.

Projectthread082.JPG

This lower revving little 306, (stock cam, 5,200rpm redline, and 366 horsepower is using at most 700 CFM at max RPM. If you run the same engine up to 6,500rpm it's almost 900CFM. There are many CFM calculators, this is what I found that included boost:
CFM: Engine Air Amount Calculator

I am prepared to modify it, if needed, as I want to fit the larger better quality K&N filter I currently have. I can install a vacuum gauge again and test it.

I also will look into insulating it and at least part of the intake tract..............................might end up being more heat shielding from the header.

I hope you have good luck making the air cleaner, I've looked at the space and some filters, it is very tight. I have a large Amsoil filter I hope to fit, but there won't be much clearance around the filter, inside the air cleaner.

BTW, if you need a little better blower, I'm going to sell my NOS 2.2 kind of soon. I've seen what they sell for, and the cost of the 2.6 or 2.8 isn't that much more with an intercooler included.
I could build something, no problem for me. I have an old steel tool box that cold be cut to length and used as it has the right height and width, latches, add a piece of plexiglass to be able to see the filter, etc etc...................

Don't assume that a slightly larger blower by NOS has more output. The size difference being only a tenth of a liter may not be enough to account for efficiency differences between the blowers. I have not compared them, have you?

I would sell the NOS blower as well, if I could afford, wanted a larger blower, and an intercooler is needed for the boost levels you plan to run.

The inline filter housing is a bit small for the big K&N filter I bought. I cut the unit down, used each end, and added a larger housing. I used an old 6gal. propane tank. I ran out of time to make it pretty, but it is installed and works great!

It had the 4" diameter connectors I needed and a way to take it down to get the filter out and clean it. I need to seal around the fender so it is not pulling junk in from the fender well nor heated air from the engine bay. So much for the pretty polished aluminum. I will seal the housing, paint it, and may wrap it with insulation.

filter-housing-1.jpg

filter-housing-2.jpg

Perfect! I saw intake temps drop from 100*F+ to ambient with shielding.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Perfect! I saw intake temps drop from 100*F+ to ambient with shielding.
Do you have some pictures

I had a hell of a time with my intake temps

I would Like to see your ideas

Send me a pm or something :)

Back