Will I be hated. 96 explorer may take trip to metal yard. need something?> | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Will I be hated. 96 explorer may take trip to metal yard. need something?>

How much of a hassle is it to bring it across the Canada/US boarder?

Does it have the 4.0 OHV or the SOHC?

I'd be really interested.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It appears to be in better shape than my 96 Eddie Bauer. Guess at what the cost would be to ship it Boise Idaho? I bet it is more than it is worth
but..

Does it have the 4.0 OHV or the SOHC?
It doesn't have the "V8" emblems so it's the 4.0 ohv ....the SOHC was added to Explorer lineup the following year ...'97

Sure wish I lived closer! Mine is the exact same but '95. It'd be nice to get parts before it's scrapped!
Where are you located?
Only a 148K miles on a 4.0 ohv is nothing...and as you stated a freshly rebuilt trans and being a 4x4! (this is my dream vehicle)....personally I'd press on getting starting issue resolved and keep it at least for a backup vehicle / when your daily has a sudden issue to keep you constantly mobile. Ditch the running boards and do some light wheelin. Just my 2 cents.
I Needed the space for another project. So What i did end up doing is calling up the owner od Standard Auto Wrecks in Scarbrough Ont. He sent a truck out and the truck will be placed out in the yard so others can get what parts they want from in. It sure beats having it melted right away.

For a vehicle like a Gen 2 Explorer, $500 US is about all you can expect for a non-runner.

How much does a scrap yard give you for it? I’d give it to a fellow Explorer lover for that amount, and maybe they’ll fix it up
I agree and Ive tried. Space seems to be their problems. Standard gave me good cash and he gave me a large amount of credit for parts in his yard. so that worked for me. Very pleasant Fellow unlike vultures towing who was here friday.

Only a 148K miles on a 4.0 ohv is nothing...and as you stated a freshly rebuilt trans and being a 4x4! (this is my dream vehicle)....personally I'd press on getting starting issue resolved and keep it at least for a backup vehicle / when your daily has a sudden issue to keep you constantly mobile. Ditch the running boards and do some light wheelin. Just my 2 cents.
That's not many miles tbh, too bad you're so far away. I don't think there could be anything really serious with the no start issue, I saved a 1996 xlt explorer 4x4 from my Son that was heading to the scrapyard last year that has 200k miles on it, the whole front needed rebuilding which I did have done! It was free and I've spent about 1k on it, runs like it has a new engine drives like new as well. I'd love to have yours but can't have it shipped this far, anyway hope someone gets it and gets it on the road again. Sorry to hear about your family members.

I'd give it to your local church/ food shelter
Free
Better than any $900 imo
I do stuff like this all the time

Just my advice :)

Yes, my 92 EB Explorer that is about 5368 airmiles from me at the moment is going to head that way when El Presidente opens his doors to Johnny Foreigner. I thought about selling it and getting a couple of hundred for it but I'd rather it went to a good cause.

That's not many miles tbh, too bad you're so far away. I don't think there could be anything really serious with the no start issue, I saved a 1996 xlt explorer 4x4 from my Son that was heading to the scrapyard last year that has 200k miles on it, the whole front needed rebuilding which I did have done! It was free and I've spent about 1k on it, runs like it has a new engine drives like new as well. I'd love to have yours but can't have it shipped this far, anyway hope someone gets it and gets it on the road again. Sorry to hear about your family members.
Well I called up the owner of Standard Auto Wreckers and they bough it from me at a fair price alo giving me a few hundred bucks in yard credit for any future parts i may need. Next weekend it will be in the upic yard free parts day or anyone that needs stuff. you pay 60 bucks admin fee to enter the yard and you can walk out with all the parts you can carry. So this makes me more happy than going to the crusher right away.

Ugh. Mint truck, low miles, rebuilt trans...junked. What a shame.
Needed the space but as i was telling others, i managed to get it to goto a yard where it will sit and allow others to pic from it rather than going right to the crusher. Standard Auto Wreckers Toronto.

I just called about taking one of my cars in, they said $70/ton. two ton explorer is $140. us dollars.
I just sold the 8.8 rear end from one of my old v8 explorers for $150 missing all the brakes. the picknpull gets $200 for them, they are in big demand if they have lockers and 3.73 gears.

Otherwise, I've sold ZERO in parts from my explorers. Well the cats got me $250, they are all people really care about.
The 5.0 V8 will fetch some buyers for a few hundred.

I've noticed in my neck of the woods that the '91-'01 Explorers coming into the local U Pull are remaining relatively untouched for the 60-90 days they sit before being crushed. Rust has already sent most to the JY's and there just isn't the demand for parts anymore. I'm the exception as my '98 is still as rust free as the day I brought it up here from AZ ten yrs ago (don't drive it in the winter) and am still collecting nice spare parts when I come across them. In fact, found a brand new unmounted fan clutch purchased at Napa Auto complete with sales receipt sitting on the seat of a new arrival today.

Yes, my 92 EB Explorer that is about 5368 airmiles from me at the moment is going to head that way when El Presidente opens his doors to Johnny Foreigner. I thought about selling it and getting a couple of hundred for it but I'd rather it went to a good cause.

Quoting myself here. Finally fought my way back to the US and the Ford Explorer was laid to rest on 6th December. Which means I donated it to Kars4Kids and it seems it was sold "at arm's length" (whatever that means) for the princely sum of $510. I'm really happy that someone is going to benefit from that.

Very good
That's what I would have done

Back