Wind wistle | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wind wistle

I have that same problem, or at least I think it's that same sound, but I thought it was the wind hitting my roof rack and crossbars up there. And I believe it really does it when the wind is blowing, which is quite frequently here in Central Texas.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Okay, what is an "A Pillar"?

Okay, what is an "A Pillar"?

A pillars are the posts in front of both front doors that that hold the winshield in. Kind of like from dash to roof. The next set of pillars are "b". The next "c" etc.

Took my explorer in today to get the whistle fixed. Guess what? They say they didn't hear anything. Now I have to go pick it up only to schedule another appointment so that a technician can go on a drive with me.

In the meantime, I'll see if I can fix my new suv with some tape...

I have this issue as well. Less than 3,000 miles on my Explorer. Have not yet taken it to the dealer as I have a few other issues for them to resolve.

Well I heard the noise again on my way home from the dealer. I did a little experiment tonight and put some electrical tape down the A Pillar overlapping the pillar and the front window and the noise went away. Guess I'll call them in the morning.

On the bright side, they gave me v2.11 of MFT while my truck was there today and so far it seems to be working a bit better.

Check the A pillar rattle thread their is a fix posted there

Hi, I wanted to know if the a-pillar rattling is affecting a lot of people. Is there a manufacture date that it starts or ends from? Thanks

Well I heard the noise again on my way home from the dealer. I did a little experiment tonight and put some electrical tape down the A Pillar overlapping the pillar and the front window and the noise went away. Guess I'll call them in the morning.

On the bright side, they gave me v2.11 of MFT while my truck was there today and so far it seems to be working a bit better.
Did you end up calling the dealer lucky711? If so, what did they say? I already have your VIN and mileage, so another option is to PM me with your contact info and dealer name so I can escalate this for you. Let me know if that’s something you’d like me to do.

Cory

Cory,

I took my X back to the dealer and went on a drive with my service manager. He heard the sound. He then took the same tech who drove it yesterday out and the tech heard it as well.

Once they both agreed that they heard the noise, they proceeded to tell me about how they had heard of the A-Pillar issue and they knew what parts to order. New parts should be in tomorrow.

Funny how yesterday they had never heard of this issue and now today they acted like they were experts on it.

Hopefully this will solve the problem. Thanks for your offer to get involved.

- Brian

Cory,

I took my X back to the dealer and went on a drive with my service manager. He heard the sound. He then took the same tech who drove it yesterday out and the tech heard it as well.

Once they both agreed that they heard the noise, they proceeded to tell me about how they had heard of the A-Pillar issue and they knew what parts to order. New parts should be in tomorrow.

Funny how yesterday they had never heard of this issue and now today they acted like they were experts on it.

Hopefully this will solve the problem. Thanks for your offer to get involved.

- Brian
That’s great news Brian. Keep us posted with updates on the progress and let me know if you need any help at all. :)

Cory

Update: Dealer fixed both A-Pillars. No noise on the highway on the way home. :thumbsup::thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Scratch my above post. Whistle noise is back. :mad:

What the hey? I hope this is not an issue in 2012my, hope Ford comes up with fix soon, were's the Ford engineer, I see in the Ex you tube videos? He should be at the desk until its resolve, right!

Geez, they should be working for the government.

Well, we got our EX back from the dealer. They fixed the paint (repainted the rear QTR panel) it looks great. got the sycn fixed, and fixed the popping sound when turning.

The main reason they car went in was for the wind noise. So after almost 2 weeks in the shop, we got the car back...and today we got to test it out on the highway...not only is the wind noise still there, its actually worse.

I left a vm with our ford rep and will wait for a call back on Monday. Here is a short video of the noise.

Here is another.

I feel like there's no hope for the explorer. I don't THINK I have the a-pillar rattle that I've heard. (7/13 build date) but i have the wind whistle, sync crash, lousy bluetooth mic, tin roof when it rains, and a rear gate that sometimes closes all the way. I haven't had time to take it to the dealer yet, but when I do i have a feeling I'll be told a bunch of bs. But I know better. I'd really like to see Ford do something big to correct all these issues. Wife and I both need a vehicle, and if I have to pay for a rental while issues get worked out on this, I might be a little ticked! Their are obvious problems, and why Ford hasn't done more to reach out to all of us yet is beyond my comprehension.

Well...my wife took our EX back to the dealer, but I got a call, they couldn't do a test drive tonight....so now I have to take a half day off work to meet them up there again on Tuesday to take a test drive.

Post more later.

Rollingrock-

Any update on this? I just took a 6 hour round trip drive and the whistle was brutal. Just wondering if there is any fix yet. In the meantime, I've been calling glass places getting prices to reseal the windshield. :thumbdwn:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rollingrock-

Any update on this? I just took a 6 hour round trip drive and the whistle was brutal. Just wondering if there is any fix yet. In the meantime, I've been calling glass places getting prices to reseal the windshield. :thumbdwn:

Well, our dealership came and picked the car last Thursday and the Head of Operations was personally going to work on the car. They tried to give us some crap about the noise only happens when driving East and West...I proved that theory wrong when i told the tech to ride with me. At 35 mph and up you hear the whistle no matter the direction of the car. What a bunch of horse chit.

We have not heard back on it yet...if it is still not fixed, Ford told us they were going to send someone from the factory to fix it. Then if it isn't fixed, we could possibly do a buy back. Our build date is also June.

I can tell you that we are not happy, and if you ask us, we would rather have another car at this point. As of right now, out of our 1300 miles on the car, almost half of it has been Ford test driving the car and now our Dealer has officially had the car longer than we have owned it and I have made 2 payments.

I also know this is going to affect the resell value of the car having an Oasis report longer than 6.0 Powerstroke.

RR

Scroll down to my post here and look at the condition of the car after the "fix"

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=306488&page=16

Back