Window and door lock problems!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Window and door lock problems!!

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Explorer
I recently bought a 1996 Ford Explorer and my 2 front windows won't go up or down. If I use the window switches they make noise like they're trying to work but they just won't move up or down. The other problem I have is only the driver side door lock wont go up or down when I lock or unlock the doors with the switches. all other door locks work. However, if I use the key it opens it. What are the steps to figure out what my problem is?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Take the door panel off and see if the window regulator is moving or you only hear sounds from the motor. If the regulator broke you may need a new one but if it's just the motor gears there are plastic pucks inside that can shear off. Dorman makes a "help" kit with replacement pucks, I think Autozone among others might sell it.

Locks, look for broken linkage or springs. Compare the driver's side to the working passenger's side.

Just like @J_C said, I had the same issue; window motors spin, but the glass isnt moving. There was a clicking sound coming from the door panel....Good indicator the regulators are shot - time for new ones or hit up your local JY.

There are little bean/pill shaped things inside the driven gear. What happens is they wear out and then the motor can spin w/out moving the window. You used to be able to buy replacement beans in the HELP section of most auto parts stores, but as they're a Dorman product the quality is questionable. Dorman 747-409 gear and beans.

61pRHsyzUKL._SL1500_.jpg

The door lock switches not working is probably a broken wire in the wire bundle "accordion" between the door and the car body.

Back