Window In Liftgate Doesn't Open

Bill #5 Explorer

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Chicago Area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer XLT
Do any of you 2011 owners miss the moveable glass window feature in the prior Explorers? Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I do, but I don't think there is much to be done about it. Most of the SUVs seem to be moving towards a one piece rear liftgate. I like the glass only because it reduces the chance of stuff rolling out the back of the truck when you open it, but I guess they all have cargo nets now that you are supposed to use.

I wonder why Ford did this. Less production costs? Tighter seal & quieter ride? Less stuff to break for the owner over the ownership experience?

I wonder why Ford did this. Less production costs? Tighter seal & quieter ride? Less stuff to break for the owner over the ownership experience?

I doubt it is for the less things to break reason as there are so many electronics in the new Explorer that I do not think they are worried about that. It will be interesting to see how all of our explorers electorinc suites will be running in 10 years.

I believe they said they did it to reduce weight of the lift gate.

Previous liftgates started to have cracks so they just threw the idea out.

I figured these would be the most logical reasons seeing how Ford is hell-bent on improving their quality ratings. You do this by making less knobs/switches (hence MyFord Touch and the touch sensitive AC controls, etc) less moving parts (rear window), more quiet interior (hence better seals, less openings, more dampening) and of course using proven systems.

Rear hatch window

Am I missing something. The rear hatch window doesn't open? on 2015 Explorer. I've had Explorers since 2001, this is my first 5th gen. I went to open the window today and I couldn't find a button to open it up. Seems like every day I find another thing that makes the Explorer just a big Taurus.

Craig

Am I missing something. The rear hatch window doesn't open? on 2015 Explorer. I've had Explorers since 2001, this is my first 5th gen. I went to open the window today and I couldn't find a button to open it up. Seems like every day I find another thing that makes the Explorer just a big Taurus.

Craig
It doesn't open. I have also merged your thread with this one.

Peter

Craig

Ha, Ha, Ha...this has to be a joke right? You certainly wouldn't have bought a vehicle without knowing the glass doesn't open. Very amusing...:D

waaaaaaaaaaaaaat?:eek:

What I do miss is the opening upper section that I had on my 2005 XLT. I loved that featured. But The powered liftgate is winning me over!

For the reduction is tailgate rattles, glad it was removed and I hardly used it on my 2006 in the past.

Back