Windshield Cracked / Replacement | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Windshield Cracked / Replacement

Is OEM same as factory? i read Safelite makes their own glass is that correct? The closest appointment I could get is 21 May. if Safelite can do it sooner that be nice I just want to be sure its just as good as factory.
Yes. OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thank you guys for the advice. I was thinking the same thing with the sound screen portion. I figured since this car is a few months old I wanted the best i can get and this is the same company my dealer uses.

Wanted to avoid using insurance, but the cheapest they could do it was $700-$800.

Don't know who your insurance is, but Allstate didn't cost me a penny when they replaced mine through Safelite. Had an "accident" of some sort and I called Allstate telling them something flew off a truck and hit my windshield and they said "no problem" its considered no fault. Replaced with OEM and my insurance rate never went up. Actually it did cost me the $20 tip and a corona to the guy that did it for me.

Some insurance have windshield replacement coverage. In TX where all insurance rates are pathetic not many have it. Having said that, the cost of the windshield itself is not that expensive in Houston TX. Is $700-800 before or after insurance?

Some insurance have windshield replacement coverage. In TX where all insurance rates are pathetic not many have it. Having said that, the cost of the windshield itself is not that expensive in Houston TX. Is $700-800 before or after insurance?

about $800 before insurance, unfortunately have a 500 deductible but better than nothing. My insurance says my rate doesnt change from comprehensive damage like just the windshield.

about $800 before insurance, unfortunately have a 500 deductible but better than nothing. My insurance says my rate doesnt change from comprehensive damage like just the windshield.

They are happier you replaced it rather than get into an accident with cracked windshield and dealing with the potential BS of you couldn't see right . . . . who's really at fault . . . .

Does your insurnace have varying deductibles for items.

IE mine is 500 for collision damage, but 300 for windshields.

IMHO I believe aftermarket glass is not as resistant to rocks as the OEM. When I had a Fusion the original windshield lasted over a year and I went through 3 aftermarket during the next 1 1/2 years. It was a company car so I did not have a choice on the windshield.

They are happier you replaced it rather than get into an accident with cracked windshield and dealing with the potential BS of you couldn't see right . . . . who's really at fault . . . .

Does your insurnace have varying deductibles for items.

IE mine is 500 for collision damage, but 300 for windshields.

mine was set at 500 for each types (collison/comprehensive) at the time. Ill just save the 300 and they mentioned it shouldnt raise my premium since its just the windshield

My 5-day-old Sport has a huge crack in the windshield, probably 7 inches long. Happened today, rock on highway. Anyone had to replace one and know the cost? Uggh...

My comprehensive auto insurance has replaced windshields on just about every car I've owned for the last ten years. They must have started making windshields thinner. Call your insurance agent.

I carry a $0 comprehensive deductible specifically for this reason. I don't want to pay anything on windshields and it only costs a couple dollars more a year then a $250 deductible.

I carry a $0 comprehensive deductible specifically for this reason. I don't want to pay anything on windshields and it only costs a couple dollars more a year then a $250 deductible.
Yep. What most people don't realize is that it is not that expensive. I originally got it added to my vehicles ten years ago to pay for door ding repairs and...I haven't had a door ding since. MAGIC!

My 5-day-old Sport has a huge crack in the windshield, probably 7 inches long. Happened today, rock on highway. Anyone had to replace one and know the cost? Uggh...
Your thread has been merged with this one found using the handy 'Search' feature. Just ensure that it is replaced with the proper windshield See post #44.

Peter

The amazing thing about windshields is that if you have a crack all the way across it and more chips than you can count it will go on for years with no more chips or cracks. But get it replaced and in a week you'll get a chip in it. I replaced a windshield just to get one that was clearer since the old one was pitted beyond belief, I had a chip in the new one a month later.

I don't think that the factory one is any better than a aftermarket one. They all have to meet the safety standards. But a lot on what happens to them is where you drive and what you drive behind.

.....I don't think that the factory one is any better than a aftermarket one. They all have to meet the safety standards. But a lot on what happens to them is where you drive and what you drive behind.
Not all aftermarket ones are "Soundscreen".

Not all aftermarket ones are "Soundscreen".

I had to google "Soundscreen" to find out what it is.

I guess that is what happens when I have been driving 20 year old vehicles until last June.

My Explorer does not have rain sense, but my 2003 BMW 325xiT does. Had to have the windshield replaced a couple of times on it. The first time, no issues. I had gone to a local company & they replaced it in their shop.
The second time, I had Safelite come replace the windshield in my driveway & the rain sense has not worked ever since then. They came back a week or 2 later, and the rain sense worked, but that was the only time that it worked since the windshield replacement.
So be careful on who you go to for a windshield replacement.

My Explorer does not have rain sense, but my 2003 BMW 325xiT does. Had to have the windshield replaced a couple of times on it. The first time, no issues. I had gone to a local company & they replaced it in their shop.
The second time, I had Safelite come replace the windshield in my driveway & the rain sense has not worked ever since then. They came back a week or 2 later, and the rain sense worked, but that was the only time that it worked since the windshield replacement.
So be careful on who you go to for a windshield replacement.
The sensor is in the base of the mirror. As long as that area of the windshield is clear, the sensor should work.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The sensor is in the base of the mirror. As long as that area of the windshield is clear, the sensor should work.

Peter
I'm aware of that. I even had my BMW take a look at it while it was in for the Tacata (sp?) Airbag Recall. They even tried a new sensor, no help.

Back