Wiper motor shaving write up with pics. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wiper motor shaving write up with pics.

I recently had the good furtune of State Farm insurance buying me a new lift gate for my Explorer. A perfect opportunity to shave that rear wiper and squwirter I never use.
Shaving door handles, locks and what have you will all fall under simular procedures. Also there are several ways to go about this task, this is the way I chose.

Here is my new liftgate ready to go.
IMG_1098.jpg

Here is a close up of the holes I wish to fill. I did not have the time to engineer a way to shave the lock / glass popper. If I had thought of something I would have.
IMG_1099.jpg

Step one is to measure the holes I wish to cover so I can cut a metal backing. Never use duct tape or any thing like that to back up your body filler no matter how small the hole. Such steps are very unreliable. Remember, measure twice cut once.
IMG_1100.jpg

Keeping it in the family I cut the backing metal out of my old lift gate. Silver sharpe makes a fantastic marker for doing lay out work like this.
IMG_1102.jpg

Here is the backing plates grinded down to bare metal on one side only. The scratches are 40 grit and will aid in the adhesion of the backing plate ( more on that soon )
IMG_1105.jpg

I also roughed up the inside of the lift gate in 40 grit scratches.
IMG_1106.jpg

Now to attach the backing plate most people would weld the metal plate on. Welding however creates tremendous heat and will warp the metal making for MUCH more body work. The key for that would be using several small cool tac welds and cooling the metal inbetween each tac weld. Very very time consuming. I opted to use a metal bond. Dura-Mix 4178 is a metal bonding adhesive that is used in this trade to glue sheet metal together. I was very skeptical too but have become quite a fan of this product. Let me guarntee you this stuff will hold a quarter pannel in place no problem. I think my backing plate will be a non issue.
IMG_1108.jpg

I held the backing plates in place with some masking tape and let the dura-mix dry over night. Went home and got some dinner.
This is how it looked from the out side. Note how I cleaned up any dura-mis residue.
IMG_1111.jpg

The next morning I filed it with some marglass fibergless reinforced body filler. This stuff is thicker and has a bit more substance that normal body filler. Not that the void I was filling was all that huge, but better safe than sorry.
IMG_1113.jpg

Sand it down with 80 grit. The two little holes that were for the wiper support have just about disapeared.
IMG_1114.jpg

Hit it with a coat of regualr body filler to get rid of the little voids and imperfections left from the marglass. Sand it down with 80 grit also. **** For more info on working with body filler see my thread Body Work 101 http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120559 ****
IMG_1115.jpg

Fill the whole area with skim coat ( top coat ) to fill in my scratches. Sand that down with 180 grit
IMG_1117.jpg

Here is the end results of the body work.
IMG_1118.jpg

Prime
IMG_1119.jpg

Sand that down with 320 and it is ready for paint.
IMG_1120.jpg

The final after paint pictures will be posted in this thread at a later date.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I like it! Next time you got here cleaned up can you take another shot, further back so we can take in the "big picture"? Also that dang power line tower reflected in the paint to the left looks like a scratch at first glance, takes away from your work. Did you black out your Emblem/Logo, looks black in the photo.

I painted the plastic on our bumper black with krylon fusion satin, don't know how much black you are going for but if you consider it, it was cake, nothing compared to what you just did. Nice work.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

***UPDATE***
The dura-mix adhesive had a negative effect on the body filler about a year after this repair was complete. In other words the repair bubbled.

In the future I would weld a patch only.

Sorry if any one tried this method and got bit.

Thanks for the update, I was planning to do that instead of having it welded.
:salute:

Where was the new liftgate purchased from? I need a replacement and not sure what to do...

Its Ford OEM.

thank you very indeed.

Back