Wiring for Amps

JoeBlow2000

Reaction score
City, State
Albany, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLT
Hey guys.

I have two 800W AMPS to power my 2 15 solobarics. I already have one 4 guage wiring kit. Will that be enough or should I wire them separately and get another 4 guage kit?

Joe:confused:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was also wondering

Do you guys think my alternator can power two 800 watt amps as wells as a 400 watt and a 150 watt amp? I have a 2000 xlt with v8. Will I need caps or a bigger alternator? How do I determine the amperage of these amps. Watts don't really mean ****.

Joe:shoot:

As a general rule, 2000 watts is about the line where you need to upgrade the electrical system. Your stock alt is 130, so it might do okay with 2150 watts, but expect some dimming. As for amp draw, it depends on the type of amps you have. Class D pulls a lot less current. Class A/B= high current, but less efficient. I would run 0 guage to a distribution block so I would only have to run one wire and never have to bother with it again. Also as a general rule, for every 1000 watts, use 1 farad capacitance, so you would need 2 1 farad caps.

one 4 guage kit will definately not be enough. your power wires will get really hot. do what he said (0 guage to a dist block). a high output alternator would be a good idea (especially if you ever want to use the headlights and fan {for heat or A/C} while listening to music).

Wiring

Hey guys. First where can I get 0 guage wire? Second, can I get away with one 2 farad cap for the 2 800 watt amps and not use caps for the other 400 and 150 amps that will both be running off an 8 guage wire (door speaker amps)?

Joe - still :confused:

you can get 0 gauge at a local car audio shop or an electrical supply store.

and you really would only need a cap for the bass amps (the subwoofer amps).

Right but..

Could I used 1 2 farad cap instead of 2 1 farad caps? And how would I wire it?

Joe

Back