wont idle steadily.. tries to die | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

wont idle steadily.. tries to die

G

gensic11

Ok what do you know - I fix one thing and 2 days later something else goes wrong. It all has to do with how my truck idles.

First off I used to think my A/C was the sole purpose of my truck trying to die while idling.. my A/C does not blow out cold air right now and it cycles like every 4 seconds and each cycle where it clicks on the truck almost loses power and tries to die.. When the A/C is OFF (heat on or anything else AT IDLE) the truck does not try to die.

Secondly when it's freezing cold outside my truck will want to die until i warm it up and hold my foot on the gas to keep it going until it gets warm enough to where it doesn't feel like dying anymore

NOW - I just noticed this tonight.. I had NO AC on, nothing else that was draining power and my truck did the same thing ... it would fluctuate from 600rmp/400rmp and its like it would drop down then catch itself and rev back to 600 then drop again almost dying and catch itself again.. never died but it really seemed like it.

I have reason to believe from looking at search results the IAC may be going bad and just need to replace it.. but examining my symptoms can you guys think of anything else that would cause this? I saw the cold temperature problem was probably the 00m12 fix but I really don't have the money for that.. I could get a new IAC and put it in myself no problem.. I cleaned mine this summer but anyway I just wanted some other opinions im sure others have delt with this problem

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated

Thanks a lot!

Josh

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hey genesic, i just started having the same problem with my ex now that its getting pretty cold where i am. sometimes when i start it and it is cold, and hasnt been running for a few hours it will idle very low and almost die or die. in the summer i disconnected my IAC while the ex was running and it showed the same symptoms. so i'd say we are both lookin at gettin new IAC's

looks like it man - it's a cheap part and easy install from what i read i guess just go to autozone and pick a new one up and you know what to do from there.. hopefully it will fix my problems. if you get one and it fixes yours let me know, i'll do the same once i replace mine

it most likely wont fiz your problem. sounds like you have a large vaccum leak most likely due to the recall on the intake gaskets (sohc) i am also willing to bet your check engine light is on

and the reason your ac is cycling is because you have a low charge

well thanks for the input but..... no check engine light is on and i charged the a/c system... so i don't think that is the problem

can someone summarize the problems caused by the iac going bad?

ok i really need some feedback now.. im serious i will just sit there in park and my truck with try to die.. it has never done this.. is the IAC what all of you think needs to be replaced?? could it be something fuel related? i know this has to be a simple question..

Keep it simple. Start with the IAC. It controls idle. Change it.

gensic11 said:
it would fluctuate from 600rmp/400rmp and its like it would drop down then catch itself and rev back to 600 then drop again almost dying and catch itself again..

that proves that the iac is working

mine is doing basically the same thing. mine it isn't fuel, or spark, it seems to be computer related?

A while back someone posted a link to Auto Zone's web site which tells how to test a IAC with an ohm meter.Off the top of my head if it shows 5 to 7 ohms during the test the IAC is good.Best you look it up yourself for the details.

expo5.0 said:
mine is doing basically the same thing. mine it isn't fuel, or spark, it seems to be computer related?

i had a friend a few years back who had an explorer and i remember one day his truck wouldn't idle at all.. right when you started it if you weren't giving it gas it would just die.. i think he had the extended warranty so it was fixed free but i do remember him saying something about a computer when i asked him what was wrong

i found a vacuum leak

that would explain it? right? i am sort of taking my truck apart underhood piece by piece right now so i couldn't test to see if that fixed it or not.

i found a vacuum leak

that would explain it? right? i am sort of taking my truck apart underhood piece by piece right now so i couldn't test to see if that fixed it or not.

i have a feeling im just going to break down and send it to the shop and pay to get it fixed.. it's really annoying trying to keep it from dying in the morning after sitting in freezing cold weather.. i realize it might be tougher to start any car in freezing weather but no truck or car should die because of it.. it's probably worth a few hundred bucks to get it fixed.. then.. save some money to fix the A/C for summer!! haha i love my ex but i hate its problems

same problem here...

eventually you will get P0171 / P0174 CEL's... for system too lean. Mine took about a month before they came on as the issue got progressively worse.

The cause is the Intake Manifold Gaskets, go to your local auto part store and purchase the upper/lower intake manifold set, change them and your problem will be fixed... this is a very common issue will these vehicles. Stop messing with everything else, people will pull the codes and tell you its the MAF or your 02 sensor is shot and your going to end up with a large bill by the end.

So go get the gaskets, they are 10-15$ and be done with it!

Mike

except mine isn't the same engine-

anybody think i found my problem?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sounds like a problem i got. :mad: does anyone have a clue what mines could be? i tried making a new topic but its saying i dont have privaleges :( lol

btw my truck takes longer then usual to start cranking time. sometimes it starts right up. sometimes it takes around 4 seconds of cranking. it idles a little rough sometimes not often it idles at 900 rpms then drops to like 500 and jumps right back up right away. did a major tune up and nothing. fuel pressure is good. on sunday we changed the transmission oil i noticed while the truck was on the iac kept clicking like every second.

i kind of think its the mass air flow sensor not sure i dont want to spend 100$ for it not to be it. since i bought the truck it would crank sometimes and take a while for it to start done a couple of major tune ups nothing. just recently has it at idle drop rpms out of nowhere and pick right up. doesnt do it to often. and once you give it gas it runs smooth. no check engine light comes on never has it came on. and we have put it on the diagnostic machine like 5 times and nothing comes up.

this guy has the same problem at the bottom of hte link, and the mechanic recomended the mass air flow sensor. ( i got a 98 explorer 5.0 engine) just want to know if anyone has ever fixed the same problem before?

http://www.2carpros.com/topics/idle3.htm

Back