• Register Today It's free!

Work not lift on a 2002 explorer

DR J

Reaction score
City, State
New Orleans, Louisiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002, Limited
Hey there everyone im sure some of yall read my earlier thread about lifting a 02 explorer since we've decided its nearly impossibly, how would i go about getting bigger tires on the explorer. I know in some cars you can add another leaf to give yourself more room. Is this possible on the 2002? O well i ready for more input so bring it on. Im thinking of either 31" mud tires or 33" mud tires im not sure of the exact type though.:exp:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Look at your suspension and see if there are any leaf springs.

Ok if you're serious about wheeling it, and you have your heart set on it, do this.

Put 265/75/16's on it. Very little trimming will need to be done and you won't need to lift it.

Get them in the most aggressive tread possible too because you will need every amount of help you can get.

Also, find out what axles you have to see if you can put a locker or l/s in there.

I belive the 02 are IRS so cant you just crank up all your Torsion bars and get about 1.5in of lift.

and unless they are unibody then you can put on a body lift too.

Ryan

Somone told me because of the new suspension system that there are no torsion bars or you cant do anything with them.

It has non-adjustable coilovers.

You are pretty limited to putting th largest more aggressive tires you can under it.

Personally I would save up for a vehicle to build as a wheeler and leave the 2002 alone.

Exactly why I asked him to look for leafs. These are basically mini-van style components right? Also, don't the a-arms for the rear go up through the unibody through holes preventing larger springs due to clearance issues. Then again... people lift rav-4s....

As far as I know the 02s are still the tried and true body-on-frame construction that's been around since the 1888 Benz.

So in theory he could do a body lift on it and not change the driveline angles thus able to put larger tires without a suspension lift.

Anything is possible. Heck one project I'm working on involves a 78 Chevy Impala and a 75 Cadillac 500 V-8 swap. Nobody that my friends knows has ever done this swap before.

Back