Worthy offroader?

TallKDR

Reaction score
City, State
Tracy, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT 5spd
Hello everyone.

I finally got my recently purchased 91 5spd 4x4 running. After two new heads, gaskets, and all the usual stuff, its running great.

I went offroad with a few friends of mine in their pickups, and had some fun a few times now. Two rangers, and a toyota. I must say the pickups seem to have an easier time with this stuff.

However, I DO realize I havent done this much before and dont have the skill they do.

My question is, can I expect the explorer to ever be as good as these guys. Mainly, going over things without the fear of 1) Rollover and 2) Breaking stuff.

These explorers seem very well built suspension/frame wise. Is this correct? Or will I be breaking stuff if I get into any harder offroading?
Also, I seem to go slidding sideways, or just simply feel much more bodyroll (even forward and back on steep decends and uphills). Are the explorers so topheavy that this becomes a problem offroading?

Im just wondering if I cant go ahead and sell the explorer and get a pickup.

What do you guys think, Explorer loves aside.

Thanks
Paul

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

first off, if you go wheeling, you must accept that rolling over and breaking things is normal... you cannot avoid it if you chose to put your vehicle in a situation like that....

the ranger is basically the same as your explorer, except the explorer has a higher center of gravity becuase it is an suv..... the front end is a heavier duty unit whereas most rangers had a d28, the X has a d35... most rangers up until recently did not have the 4.0 l engine ohv or sohc (you have the ohv) and the rear ends in explorers are 8.8" ring gear whereas most rangers only had a 7.5"
once you aquire skill, and do a little bit of modifying, your truck will be able to handle obstacles with as much ease if not more than the rangers/ toyota you went wheeling with....

Thanks for the reply.

I do understand going offroad can break things, I just wonder if these explorers will break more than a toyota or ranger (mainly just putting up with less stress from weight).

Also, to keep up somewhat, Ive been thinking of a lift. But lifting this already large tall thing scares me. I already bought the F150 spacers and will be getting shackles soon. Ill see how it does with that 2".

I wonder what an explorer with the 4" lift kits would run like. Is tipping over at that point a big concern that your constantly watching out for it?

thanks
Paul

Ive got a 3" body lift (body off of frame) and replaced the coil springs and shackles. Ex is now lifted about 4.5 inches.

Now with 32in tires, when I stand next to it, it is now 6.5 inches higher. I gained a couple inches ground clearance.

I do not feel like I am going to roll over under most circumstances. Certainly not more than the trucks around me. Explorers do have more weight up top than trucks so take it easy, but if you spend a little time on this site, you will come to realize, the driver matters as much as the vehicle. With a little bit of lift, better tires, some experience, you'll be able to keep up with your buddies, no problem.

have fun and be safe...

have the guys in the pick up been wheeling longer?

I've got a total of 7 inches of lift and 33' and off road without any problems. You just have to be carefull and always be prepared for the unexpected. So far my worst breakage is a broken U-Joint, but everything is relatively new from my build up.

Yes, the X's are very capable off roaders and you'll have lots of fun driving one. You'll find with a little bit of modification you can really do alot of fun off roading and keep up with some heavily modified vehicles.

:D :D

Is the Explorer off road worthy?

Yes,
Depending on what kind of off roading you do.
I did a rated 4 trail in Moab with just a 2" lift on open diffs. Can you do what the other trucks you went with do? Probably. The Explorer will actually do quite abit more than you think.
I see you live in Tracy. Maybe we should go do some wheelin, then you can find out what your truck will really do. I don't live that far from you. Would you like to go to Hollister hills sometime?

Back