WOW, I could've went to TruckHaven | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

WOW, I could've went to TruckHaven

FAT CAT

meaty beaty big & bouncy
Reaction score
City, State
Baja California
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT
For the last couple weekends, I've been helping out the promoters of a new Baja Style Tough Truck Contest. It's going to be March 24th & 25th for anyone that would like to come down:)

They have a man made obstacle course, then a run through a tight rock filled arroyo. It will be run as a timed race & the winner will receive $500.00 All the usual venders will be there (beer girls:D ) and they have camping as well as being close to the city of Rosarito Beach with all the bars & hotels etc...

Anyway, instead of going to TruckHaven, I volunteered to act as the winch truck for a couple rigs that were prerunning the course & when I had to drop into the arroyo to winch out a rig, it left me with nowhere to go but forward through the course which as you'll see, introduced me to THE ROCK that ate my truck:eek:

Here are a few pics of Tom & his hacked Blazer in the obstacle course. They are still building it and will add water to the mud pits & more rocks to the rock garden, but its still pretty fun as is;

Attachments

• tom-frame-twist-1.jpg
    tom-frame-twist-1.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 265
  • tom-front-lift.jpg
    tom-front-lift.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 269
  • tom-rear-up.jpg
    tom-rear-up.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 274
  • tom-spin.jpg
    tom-spin.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 280

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

These next pics show Tom dropping down into the arroyo to the point of tilting so much his carb stopped working I & had to go in & pull him back upright.

Attachments

• tom-wall-2.jpg
    tom-wall-2.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 248
  • tom-wall-1.jpg
    tom-wall-1.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 274
  • tom-ledge.jpg
    tom-ledge.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 289
  • tom-on-rock-rear-lift.jpg
    tom-on-rock-rear-lift.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 266

And, here comes Super IFS Man to save the day! Little did I know what was in store for me...:eek:

Attachments

• tight-2.jpg
    tight-2.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 260
  • trap-2.jpg
    trap-2.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 273
  • trap-1.jpg
    trap-1.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 257
  • tight-1.jpg
    tight-1.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 270

So far so good;) the places where Tom would just lean over & push through, I had to straddle & go slow, I did scrape along one wall & put a nice "Jefe Stripe" in my driver door. And there was a good size rock that gave my sliders a work out...

Attachments

• huggy-wall.jpg
    huggy-wall.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 255
  • rock-rash-1.jpg
    rock-rash-1.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 276
  • rock-rash-2.jpg
    rock-rash-2.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 257
  • rock-sliders.jpg
    rock-sliders.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 265

And then, there it was, right in the middle of the arroyo...The Rock That Ate My Truck!

I gave it my best effort, but everytime I got up on it, I slid to the left & forced my drivers tire into the hill. With the front locker bound up, and the rear locker only sometimes working, I tried to force my way through & that was when I heard that funny little "snap" & said, "yup there goes the axle.."

So now with a front axle gone, I decided to give it one more go & hit it hard to slide over once I was up on the rock again... well, the same sliding to the left & jamming the tire into the wall & this time I heard another "snap", that's right I broke another of those "heavy duty Chevy tie rod ends" just like at Moab:eek: I thought since I was helping a Chevy, the Chevy Gods would smile on me, but nope... I had a good mess on my hands.

Attachments

• snap.jpg
    snap.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 244
  • on-the-rock.jpg
    on-the-rock.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 256
  • up-the-rock.jpg
    up-the-rock.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 263
  • the-rock.jpg
    the-rock.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 256

It's a good thing Tom was up and running again as he towed me out of the arroyo after I replaced the tie rod end, then I drove to a friends shop to replace the axle. I'm glad I carried all the parts with me, but I'm ready to start the solid axle swap on this rig as I'm tired of getting high centered on everything and breaking my front end all the time.

Still anytime spent wheeling is a GOOD time & I hope to get everything done in time to run this course again...with better results, I hope!

I do wish I had gone to TruckHaven with you guys, it looks like you had a blast! But then again, I would have been the "IFS *****" out there & you guys would would have all tried to get me stuck, just like Stic-o before the swap!

Happy Wheelin!

Attachments

• strap.jpg
    strap.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 247
  • carnage.jpg
    carnage.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 258

Crazy pics and story Chris. You're right though, any wheelin is good wheelin. I was waiting until you were done before posting. That does look like a "Jefe Stripe" on the door. :)

Another SAS rig on the way. :cool:

I do wish I had gone to TruckHaven with you guys, it looks like you had a blast! But then again, I would have been the "IFS *****" out there & you guys would would had all tried to get me stuck, just like Stic-o before the swap!

Happy Wheelin!
We would have at least tried. :p: I think the 35s and lockers would have helped you out though.

Dam bro!!!

Stoked you got pics!!!!! And nice little write up!

Is this going to be an annual event???

Damn thats one wicked rock, I see that rock eating more trucks in the future.

but see chris, if I had not done the swap you'd have no extra parts.:p: ..or were those already them?:(

Same side TRE broke again. Where did it break this time? I am wondering if a limit strap on the front end will help save some of the carnage till you get to do a solid axle. You have a long ways to go on that driverside till it gets a good jefe stripe. You got a good start going though.

Same side TRE broke again. Where did it break this time? I am wondering if a limit strap on the front end will help save some of the carnage till you get to do a solid axle.

Looks like it to me. Seems like it reached the max angle and it went snap.

Looks like a good time :smoke:

i personally like where your friend keeps his spare tire:thumbsup:

I think it is going to be an annual event, but we'll see how the first one goes...

The tie rod broke in the same place as moab and Steve, that is one of your axles I used to replace the broke one, THANKS:D

I think a lot of the problem is the weight of these tires, they are big biased ply tires & with the steel rims, they weigh a ton! I've read on the Pirate board that even stock Dana 44's are having trouble with them...

I can see some rubbing in the shock mounts that stick out from the frame too, that, and the locker binding make it super hard to maneuver sometimes.

I was just about to order some light weight alum. rims with less backspace, but now I'm just going to start the SAS & be done with it.

If I was smart, I'd buy one of the SAS rigs for sale on the forum, but I kind of want to see it through with my truck & this allows me to pay for it as I go rather then one big payment & trying to sell my truck too.

I am going to lighten up the truck as much as possible, starting with taking off the front and rear bumpers & selling them...

Dang, I don't know that I could have even taken on that rock. :eek:
That does look like a "Jefe Stripe" on the door. :)
Yeah, a few dozen more like that and our trucks will match again. :D

Oh, and I think you have a balancing problem with your left front tire. :eek:

Dang, I don't know that I could have even taken on that rock. :eek:

Maybe he just need rollers under his sliders:p:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back