Yomie....3/4 ton build up and install | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Yomie....3/4 ton build up and install

First off...

'78 Ford F-250 HPD44
5.13 gears spooled
Yukon 4340 inners and outers
Alloy USA u-joints and full circle clips
Highsteer using 1.5" OD DOM
Warn Premium hubs

Fornt axle is already built, i just have to move the front perches in a few inches and re-paint it

Rear will be a GM 14bFF
5.13 gears
welded spiders
RuffStuff disc conversion
late '70's disc brakes and rotors

I will start building the rear in a few weeks

D44 vs. D60 as everyone has seen before
HPIM0148.jpg

HP D44, just got to clean it up and move the perches in a few inches and it will be ready for boltup...next to TJ's D60.

Here it is finishing up, just got to install the drivers side 4340's and finish installing hubs

HPIM0149.jpg

HPIM0151.jpg

HPIM0150.jpg

HPIM0152.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Edit: When you puttin the blocks in? or you just haven't trimmed the u-botls yet? ;)

lol, haven't trimmed the u-bolts yet

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Well...

Section 525

I started on bypassing the ABS unit today, didn't get too far, no parts store around carried a selection of fittings to convert from metric to standard :( soo I cut the metric line that goes from the MC's to the pump, i kept the metric fittings on the MC side and installed some 3/16" fittings on the other side (stock line is 3/16") and flared them :mad:

So now my lines are standard sized, i ran straight from the MC to the rear section where i have already setup my 14B with 3/16" fittings all the way around, for the front i put in a 3/16" t-fitting (you won't have to do this section) and got a pre-made 12" long line, bent it up and hooked it up to the drivers side frame rail, tomorrow i will figure out how i want the pass side line to run and measure and buy a premade section for it. If you can rememer from my first sas thread, i used Rubicon Express Jeep brake lines for the front (Same as JEFE) which are 3/16" so i hok straight up there.

No more ABS pump in line and i have already removed my ABS light bulb from the dash.

The reason i couldn't wait to remove the pump and bypassed it now was because when i removed the 8.8 to install the 14B, for some reason while the brake line was removed it completely drained the MC of brake fluid in like 10 minutes, which in-turn meant air in my Pump, i could not get the air out and i wasn't going to pay someone to bleed the pump, so out it came.

Today while i had all the lines removed the master clinder held the fluid and nothing drained out.....dunno whats going on, only time will tell if my MC is going bad when all the fluid drained out

CIMG0169.jpg

CIMG0170.jpg

i love the build man
what gears you gonna run 5.13s?

Thats one thing I need to do. Go in there and rip out all the abs ****. It looks like kudzu behind my drivers fender.

Bump for a dead thread with no progress, yet said vehicle will be wheeled this weekend.

Got everythting buttoned up, there are a few things i need to re-do now that i have wheeled it.

1. Brakes work flawlessly, but i still want to put in a proportioning valve to fine tune the rear brakes.

2. 8" slip front drive shaft is not enough, i will have to get a new front shaft with 12" of slip to prevent it from coming apart.

3. With the 14B in the rear, when i flex it out, the rear driveshaft is coming into contact with the gas tank skid plate, i'm going to have to clearance out the skid plate a little bit.

4. Still not enough sheetmetal removal for tire clearance

5. not enough t-case gearing for slow crawling in the rocks, gotta figure out what to do with the fuel tank to squeeze in a 1350/54 doubler.

other than that everything else is holding up, D44 4340 shafts and bobby long joints are holding up

normal_IMG_0161.jpg

normal_100_3930.jpg

normal_100_3947.jpg

normal_100_3988.jpg

normal_100_3992.jpg

normal_IMG_0373.jpg

normal_IMG_0455.jpg

normal_100_4432.jpg

And of course, me having some fun wheelin the sammy
normal_100_4242.jpg

Jey, if you go through this album, these are pics of Sat at Gardendale. Obstacles: Staircase, Rock Garden 4, Rockgarden 3, Rockgarden 2, Rockgarden 1
http://www.wheelingpics.com/thumbnails.php?album=390

I should be getting pics up from Sun shortly

Carnage on D-Shaft, but got it back together, had to try not to out flex the Drivers side to keep it together
normal_IMG_1411.jpg

Looks great. Is this truck really as clean as it looks in pictures or do you have plenty of body damage that the camera doesn't quite catch? For as hardcore as some of these pics are the body on this thing looks great

Yes it really is as clean as the pictures make it out to be. There are a few ripples in the sheetmetal along the rockers, but not bad. It seems that everytime i rub the body on something it is always in a spot where the sheetmetal is reinforced by a body seam or something else so i have been lucky. The Pass side quarter glass has been busted for 2 years, i just covered it in Black duct tape

Thanks for the compliments

These pics were taken this week

normal_CIMG0212.jpg

normal_CIMG0222.jpg

normal_DSC04267.jpg

normal_IMG_0106.jpg

On the scales, weighed in at 4527lbs
normal_IMG_0144.jpg

4. Still not enough sheetmetal removal for tire clearance
A good thing about the 2dr. You can cut way more than us with the 4dr.

Looking good dude! :thumbsup:

hehe!

Awesome terrain Yomie -- your shackles du jour will be in the mail this week. Its almost all done, I ran out of shielding gas yesterday.

hehe!

Awesome terrain Yomie -- your shackles du jour will be in the mail this week. Its almost all done, I ran out of shielding gas yesterday.

Thats cool, thanks man

Your d-shaft should be fine if you just extend it. It had way too much spline showing at ride height when I glanced at it before I left on sunday.

Stuff the drivers side and i bet you'll still have at least 1.5-2 inches of spline showing.

Your d-shaft should be fine if you just extend it. It had way too much spline showing at ride height when I glanced at it before I left on sunday.

Stuff the drivers side and i bet you'll still have at least 1.5-2 inches of spline showing.

+1 i'll check it out

subscribing... love the 3/4 swap

Back