Your Best Mileage from a 2.3L Ecoboost? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Your Best Mileage from a 2.3L Ecoboost?

Halwg

Reaction score
City, State
WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer Base 2.3L E
This is my best trip mileage with the 2016 Ecoboost is 27.9. Overall average mileage is 19.9 with mostly city driving.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is the best highway mileage I have gotten so far.

MPG%20-%20Explorer_zpsqlch2mqo.jpg

Your picture didn't come through. photobucket recently disabled hot linking.

I use imgur.

Just got back from a trip from NJ to Key West and mainly using 93 octane fuel we got 24+ mpg running at speeds of 75-85 mph for the majority of the trip. This is with her 2017 XLT 2.3 EB. The power compares more than favorably compared to her 2005 Explorer with the 4.6 V-8, but the fuel mileage is a lot better. I'm very impressed with this little engine in a heavy vehicle.

Whimsey

24+ would be awesome. Our 2017 Limited is driven 90% highway so far. Last week we drove a 3hr trip at speeds between 60-70mph. We averaged 20MPG.

On my last trip to North Carolina, 24 MPG without babying it, and with some bad storms for the last two hours.

24+ would be awesome. Our 2017 Limited is driven 90% highway so far. Last week we drove a 3hr trip at speeds between 60-70mph. We averaged 20MPG.

This is similar to us. We like the vehicle, but we are getting no where near the mpg we expected.

Around town I am getting 18 to 18.5 mpg, a recent trip from Pittsburgh to Lancaster, pa via the PA turnpike travelling 75 mph most of the way, using 89 octane we got 22.7 mpg. We have a 2017 XLT with only about 1800 miles on it so far, so I hope as it breaks in more that the mileage goes up!!

We have a 2016 XLT 2.3L bought it with 11k miles and now have 16k miles and we've noticed it averages about 20 - 22mpg on 87. We've done a few 150 mile trips at 80mph cruise and it gets about 21mpg on average.

We are going to repeat our trip to Key West from NJ again this year, that I posted above getting 24+ mpg using premium octane at average speeds of 75-85 mph. Only this year I'll be using 87 octane fuel. It'll be interesting to see if there is a mpg difference. The $0.60+++ per gallon more for premium octane doesn't seem worth it if you only gets ~2-3 mpg more. We've used only 87 octane since last August and have not noticed any lack of power by doing so and the mpg has been around 21.5 with everyday driving. I'll post the results after the trip.

Whimsey

I was able to hit 30mpg with a short 20 mile highway trip and that was taking it very easy averaging about 60-65mpg. I have not taken any long trips with my new explorer though. I am averaging 22mpg with 50/50 city/hwy maybe. Give or take. This truck does decent though. I think the biggest hit is with city driving. As any vehicle but think the weight really shines through with city gas mileage. I think as long as you maintain reasonable highway speeds though, it does pretty well. It's just getting this heavy vehicle moving that is hard on the gas mileage.

We are going to repeat our trip to Key West from NJ again this year, that I posted above getting 24+ mpg using premium octane at average speeds of 75-85 mph. Only this year I'll be using 87 octane fuel. It'll be interesting to see if there is a mpg difference. The $0.60+++ per gallon more for premium octane doesn't seem worth it if you only gets ~2-3 mpg more. We've used only 87 octane since last August and have not noticed any lack of power by doing so and the mpg has been around 21.5 with everyday driving. I'll post the results after the trip.

Whimsey
We rented a 2017 Explorer v6 non turbo for our trip from KC to Gulf Shores last year and I swear it got 24mpg. I'm hoping our 2016 2.3L Turbo can do at least that this year.

I was able to hit 30mpg with a short 20 mile highway trip and that was taking it very easy averaging about 60-65mpg. I have not taken any long trips with my new explorer though. I am averaging 22mpg with 50/50 city/hwy maybe. Give or take. This truck does decent though. I think the biggest hit is with city driving. As any vehicle but think the weight really shines through with city gas mileage. I think as long as you maintain reasonable highway speeds though, it does pretty well. It's just getting this heavy vehicle moving that is hard on the gas mileage.

I have noticed that if I set the cruise at 65 the live MPG gauge does sit above 25 range a lot more often.

I have noticed that if I set the cruise at 65 the live MPG gauge does sit above 25 range a lot more often.

yeah definitely. I'm trying to find that sweet spot for this engine. But even when I do 70, I sill sit around 25-26 which is pretty good imo. I'm guessing once I step up to 75 it'll start to drop quickly.

17' 2.3 4wd
20-21 everyday driving
Phoenix to Flagstaff AZ 24.3 MPG
Flagstaff AZ to Phoenix 28.6 MPG
Phoenix to Tucson 26.1 MPG (cruise set @80mph)
Tucson to Phoenix 27.7 MPG (cruise set @80mph)

I purchased a 2019 Ford Explorer Limited with the 2.3 L eco-boost L4. It post 19 miles per gallon in the city and 29 miles per gallon on the highway. I’m averaging 15.9 in the city and only about 21-22 on the highway does this sound right? I’m not a hot foot by any means.

Welcome to the Forum Daniel.:wave:
Your thread was moved to this existing one. How many miles on the vehicle?

Peter

I purchased a 2019 Ford Explorer Limited with the 2.3 L eco-boost L4. It post 19 miles per gallon in the city and 29 miles per gallon on the highway. I’m averaging 15.9 in the city and only about 21-22 on the highway does this sound right? I’m not a hot foot by any means.

Not right I'd say. Make sure tires have correct pressure. And give it some time. You should be hitting at least 25 hwy IMO. Even city seems lower than it should be. No doubt city takes a hit with the weight of the explorer but still expect better than that. As it breaks in, it'll increase on it's own though I think. Definitely check the tire pressure.

I average about 22/23 mpg in mine, split driving. Highway is always at least 25, and usually if I'm easy, I hover around 27/28.

Welcome to the Forum Daniel.:wave:
Your thread was moved to this existing one. How many miles on the vehicle?

Peter
300 miles or so, but my tire pressure if anything is a point or two high. So I don’t see why it’s so low compared to everyone

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You wanna get better mileage? Fill it up with the highest octane gas you can find, drive it below 60mph on cruise control exclusively on a flat highway, with the temps around 65-no heat or A/C and keep all the windows closed! No one else in the car with nothing else either. I promise you will get very close to the rated MPGs. If you can’t live with these restrictions, you WILL have to get used to less MPGs. Sorry.

Back