Aerostar Forum Moderator
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
Join Date: Nov 2005
(1) Ford TCC grounding problem related to LED taillight bulbs.
(2) Low coolant level in the radiator causes the front bell housing seal to leak (blow out) when the engine is hot.
(3) Speedometer gear color code chart with Ford part numbers.
(4) Transmission band specification chart with pictures.
(5) Transmission band specification chart without pictures.
(6) 10 different methods of heating your garage.
(7) Information on the 97 overdrive speed sensor (ODS sensor).
TSB 97-15-28 07/21/97 TRANSMISSION - 5R55E - OVERDRIVE DRUM SPEED SENSOR DELETED - SERVICE TIP.
5R44E/5R55E ISS speed sensor on 2001, and up models.
Information on the TSS & OSS sensors on a 97 5R55E.
Information on the TSS, VSS, and other sensors.
(8) Transmission life expectancy chart #1.
Transmission life expectancy chart #2.
Engine and transmission life expectancy chart #3.
Transmission life expectancy chart #4.
Transmission life expectancy chart #5.
Transmission life expectancy chart #6.
Transmission life expectancy chart #7.
(9) A broken flexplate spacer could cause front seal leaks, vibration, and a cracked flexplate on 2.8L, 2.9L, and 4.0L engines.
A worn front pump bushing could cause excessive converter hub wear, and repeated fluid loss.
A4LD front seal, and bushing information.
Flexplate spacer information from Sonnax.
(10) Glacier991's using a transmission pressure gauge.
Article in the January/February 2007 issue of Gears Magazine on taking pressure readings.
Transmission pressure testing article in the March 2008 issue of Gears Magazine.
(11) Pictures of PCV valve locations on the SOHC, and OHV 4.0L engines.
Pictures of the location of the PCV valve on a 98 4.0L SOHC engine.
Pictures of the PCV valve, and part numbers on a 2001 SOHC 4.0L.
Pictures of the location of the PCV valve on a 2002 4.0L SOHC Ranger.
PCV valve location on the 4.0L SOHC 2003 Explorer.
How to replace the PCV valve on a 2005 Explorer with a 4.0L SOHC.
(12) Picture of the PCV valve, and its location on the 5.0L 302 .
(13) TSB, recall, lemon law, complaint, and repair information.
(14) Transmission fluid application chart.
Information on Toyota transmission fluid.
October 2007 Gears Magazine article with information on the proper way to add transmission fluid.
TSB 06-14-4 MERCON ATF IS BEING REPLACED BY MERCON V ATF AS A SERVICE FLUID.
This article supersedes TSB 01-15-7 to update the vehicle application chart.
March 2009 Gears Magazine article about ruining a transmission with the wrong type of fluid.
Mercon V information.
(15) Josh's rebuild breakdown for the first timer (similar to stairway to a diary but for the A4LD).
Bigg_Billy's 5R55E stairway to a diary.
(16) TN_Explorer's A4LD valve body disassembly journal.
TN_Explorer's A4LD valve body rebuild journal.
(17) EEC-IV 2, and 3 digit trouble codes.
EEC-V (OBD-II) codes.
PCM pin outs.
(18) Stainless steel fuel lines could burst on a 97 4.0L Explorer during a jump start if the bracket near the battery is used as a ground connection.
(19) Information on adjusting the throttle valve, and kickdown cable.
Procedure on how to adjust the kickdown cable.
Information on adjusting the shift indicator, and the shift cable.
How to adjust the shift indicator on a 1996 Explorer.
How to adjust the shift indicator on a 1999 Explorer.
5R55E transmission manual shift cable adjustment procedure.
TSB 04-22-12 Increased effort to shift from drive to park.
Instructions for replacing the A4LD shift cable on a 1994 Explorer.
(20) TSB about accelerator pedal bracket breaking off.
Thread with pictures of the accelerator pedal broken off.
(21) Antifreeze mixture percentage chart.
Cooling system bar graph chart.
(22) 10 steps to a clean cooling system.
(23) Information on the fuel sender replacement float (with a part number).
Troubleshooting information for the fuel sender.
(24) Links with information on octane, and ratings.
Article on octane ratings, gas efficiency, engines, and so called "gas saving devices".
Article about gas saving tips.
DIY guide for improved MPG fuel economy.
Information on octane ratings.
Newer vehicles get less mileage because they weigh more than older models.
Tips for better fuel economy.
Tips from a petroleum pipe line expert.
10 ways to save gas.
(25) Ford engine coolant temperature sensor (ECT) resistance chart.
Chart in the photo gallery.
Chart from Autozone.
GM ECT resistance chart.
Chart in the photo gallery.
Air charge temperature sensor (ACT) information with a chart.
(26) BobK's 97 Explorer auto hub rebuild thread.
Gsmaclean's thread on diagnosing automatic locking hub problems.
(27) Glacier991's first generation front brake job diary.
First generation anti-rattle clip location & part number.
(28) BDriver000's 96 Explorer parking brake removal, and installation with pictures.
(29) Review about Lubegard in the product review section.
Information for many Lubegard additives.
October 2007 Gears Magazine article on the history of Lubegard.
(30) 1993 A4LD center support production change.
(31) Glacier991's thread on the A4LD "Z" link.
(32) Sonnax's fix for the A4LD sensitive TCC release issue.
(33) Glacier991's fuel pressure mini diary 101.
KaiserM715's how to check fuel pressure thread.
(34) ATF color diagnostic chart.
Chart in the photo gallery.
(35) Testing an ATX power supply.
(36) First generation Explorer heater core information.
Second generation Explorer heater core, and blend door information with links.
(37) Very thorough 5 page article about the difference in coolants.
(38) Good online stores thread.
(39) List of informative links.
Explorer Forum's list of useful threads.
ExplorerDMB's list of useful threads.
MountaineerGreen's list of useful threads.
Fixxxer's list of useful threads.
JLSparky7's list of How To videos on Youtube.
1AAuto's list of How To videos on Youtube.
High Order1's list of useful threads.
2000StreetRod's list of useful threads.
CmdrPopNFresh's list of useful threads.
(40) Oil filter internal diagram in the photo gallery.
Photo in the original link.
Second link with an internal diagram.
Second oil filter internal view in the photo gallery.
Third link with a cut away view of an oil filter.
Third oil filter in the photo gallery with a cut out view.
Link with Amsoil oil filter exploded view.
Amsoil oil filter exploded view in the photo gallery.
(41) Useful information on oil.
A comparison between regular oil, and synthetic oil.
Article about what kind of oil to use.
(42) Glacier991's thread on mass air flow sensors (MAF).
Additional links for information on MAF sensors.
Gary Simpson's MAF fix thread.
How to clean a mass air flow sensor on an F-150.
Spdrcer34's how to thread on a 4.0L OHV mass air flow sensor upgrade.
Article on Ford Mass Air Flow sensors.
2000StreetRod's thread on testing mass air flow sensors.
(43) The truth about fluid changes, and flushes from an independent shop owner.
(44) Dual battery schematic diagrams with an isolator, and a relay.
(45) Glacier991's thread on governor replacement.
(46) Stuart1A's photo gallery of technical diagrams.
Tom Gilles's photo gallery of tools.
(47) Link # 1 for M5OD rebuilding.
Link # 2 for M5OD rebuilding.
KPT's M5R1 (Toyo Kogyo) rebuilding thread.
(48) Jan/Feb Gears Magazine tech reference section. It has wire gauge sizes for current ratings, color codes for fuses, and a transmission identification chart.
Wire gauge, amperage, and length chart for 12 volt dc wiring.
Wire gauge, and amperage rating chart for 120 volt wiring.
(49) Online math conversion calculators.
Online LED resistor calculator.
(50) Links with technical information, and parts for on board air systems.
(51) Bigg_Billy's intake manifold gasket thread with useful links. This is also known as the 00M12 TSB to correct a P0171-P0174 code.
00M12 installation instructions.
(52) Transmission cooler line identification chart.
Cooler return line identification chart.
Return line identification chart.
(53) 13 Important things to have when servicing an A/C system.
(54) Information on flushing an A/C system.
(55) Information on troubleshooting the fan speed resistor.
Additional information on the speed control resistor.
(56) Explorer Pilot's thread on modulator pin measurements.
Hande's thread on modulator pin measurements.
Instructions on how to replace a vacuum modulator.
How To: Replace a vacuum modulator on an A4LD through the access panel (center hump).
(57) My alternator rebuilding thread.
(58) GEM/CTM/RAP module information.
RAP module, and remote information with Ford part numbers.
GEM module programming.
October 2007 Gears Magazine article with GEM module troubleshooting for the 1999 Explorer.
My thread on this article.
GEM module location on a 97 Explorer.
(59) Automotive acronyms.
(60) Tbars4's interior light, and door ajar quick fix if they stay on.
This part of the thread has information from the January/February issue of Gears Magazine which mentions that the older design power door lock could cause the door ajar code, and prevent 4 X 4 low from engaging if it gets stuck in between positions. The vehicle in the article is a 1999 Explorer.
(61) Blend door fix for the Explorer, Ranger, and Expedition.
Alternate blend door fix.
Second generation Explorer blend door motor fix.
1995-2001 Explorer blend door fix.
1996 Explorer blend door fix.
2003 Explorer blend door fix.
Blend door fix for many different vehicles.
Blend door actuator troubleshooting.
(62) Gears Magazine article on 9-07 on the 4R44E/4R55E/5R44E/5R55E transmission starting in the wrong gear, and the 4R70W/4R75E front seal blow out problem.
(63) Home made tools thread.
(64) Parasitic current drain troubleshooting information.
(65) Glacier991's thread on how to reattach a rearview mirror which fell off.
(66) 1995-2001 Explorer, and Mountaineer keyless entry information.
(67) A4LD Torque Specification Chart.
Valve body torque specifications for many transmissions.
5R55E Torque Specification Chart/Diagram.
(68) Information on rear main seal installation with instructions for building an installation tool. The link also contains an OTC part #.
Information on the 7786 rear main seal installation tool.
has links with break out views of many transmissions.
A4LD specification sheet. A4LD ATSG manual. A4LD ATSG PDF.
Breakout views of many transmissions. Transmission break out views.
A4LD, 4R44E, 4R55E, and 5R55E valve body break out views.
A4LD break out diagram PDF.
C3 & A4LD break out diagrams.
A4LD diagrams, and part numbers.
A4LD specification chart from Transgo.
Glacier991's A4LD rebuild diary.
Hank's A4LD rebuild diary.
Links with A4LD information.
Links with useful information on the A4LD transmission.
A4LDE information with many links, and downloadable PDF manuals.
Links with 4R55E/5R55E information. 4R44E/5R55E technical information.
5R55E specification chart from Transgo. 5R55E manual.
5R55W information. This is a second link with the PDF. 5R55W servo bore information. 5R55W-S pin outs & resistance chart. 5R55E pin outs & resistance chart. 5R55W break out view with a parts list.
Glacier991's 4R70W rebuild diary.
E4OD rebuild information.
T5 rebuilding thread.
Transmission tech bulletins.
M5OD break out diagram with Ford part numbers.
Air test procedure information from Sonnax. Many useful links to articles from Sonnax.
Downloadable transmission manuals.
(70) Spark plug wear pattern chart.
Spark plug diagnostic chart.
Chart in the photo gallery.
Article with spark plug information.
Spark plug resistance chart.
Spark plug cross reference.
(71) 4 X 4 module troubleshooting, and repair information.
(72) Information on the MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) sensor.
(73) Joe93's Explorer maximum tire size, with and without a lift chart.
TBars4's thread on wheel, tire, and lift sizes.
TBars4's thread on the maximum tire size of a Ranger.
(74) How to install a porcelain hanging wall sink, faucet, and plumbing in a bathroom.
(75) How to install leak proof magnetic drain plugs.
(76) How to make a circular saw blade holder out of a circular fluorescent light fixture.
(77) Solenoid pack differences on the 5R55W/S/N.
Sonnax remanufactured solenoid blocks.
(78) Information on how to align the transmission range sensor.
(79) Links with information about the access panel in the floor.
(80) How to remove stubborn valve body end plugs (the brute force method).
(81) How to replace an oven igniter.
(82) How To: Make your own skylight/roof access hatch.
(83) How To: Replace a bike's inner tube.
(84) How To: Troubleshoot & repair defective power door lock wiring on a 1995 Aerostar.
(85) First generation Explorer heater core information.
Second generation Explorer heater core replacement information.
(86) Common fix for 4R55E/5R55E transmissions with a bad separator plate, and valve body gasket.
(87) How To: Repair a damaged laptop power supply connector.
(88) Lug nut wheel torque specification chart.
(89) Chart for decoding Ford part numbers.
(90) How To: Add an air actuated safety switch to machinery in wet locations.
(91) How To: Make your own gaskets.
(92) How To: Test & troubleshoot defective thermocouples.
(93) How To: Solve ABS problems on a 1995 Aerostar.
(94) How To: Replace front brake pads on an Aerostar van.
(95) How To: Refill your empty inkjet cartridges.
(96) How To: Make a portable air supply for an automatic transmission test plate.
(97) Cure for rapid flashing turn signals after installing LED light bulbs.
(98) Information on the P0740 & P0741 codes. Additional information.
P0741 & P0743 codes. P0733 and P0745 codes after a rebuild.
TSB 04-24-17 5R55W TRANSMISSION - NO 3RD GEAR OR SLIPPING 2-3 SHIFT - DTCS P0733 AND P0745 - VEHICLES BUILT PRIOR TO 3/4/2002 (supersedes TSB 03-25-4). Second link with TSB information.
(99) How To: Install a keyless entry deadbolt lock.
(100) How To: Repair, maintain, and get the most out of your old tools.
(101) How To: Perform maintenance cleaning of common parts.
(102) How To: Replace a defective sliding door latch.
(103) How To: Replace an overload relay.
(104) How To: Replace a compressor.
(105) Air Bag (SRS) codes. Second chart. Third chart.
(106) How To: Install wheel studs.
(107) How To: Replace a control panel in an oven.
(108) How To: Replace stabilizer links on an Aerostar.
(109) How To: Replace an automatic belt tensioner in an Aerostar.
(110) E-4WD code diagnostic chart.
(111) How To: Replace lift support shocks.
(112) How To: Install a mechanical in wall timer.
(113) WWW.TransmissionDigest.Com article about different length input shafts for the A4LD (9-7/8"), 4R55E/5R55E (10"), and 5R55N/S/W (1-1/4").
(114) Four wheel ABS code chart.
(115) How To: Replace an air conditioner accumulator in an Aerostar.
(116) How To: Refill an old caulk tube.
(117) How To: Replace an alternator in an Aerostar.
(118) How To: Use a router to install mortise door hinges.
(119) How To: Convert a handheld belt sander into a bench top sander.
(120) How To: Replace a blend door actuator in a 2004 Taurus.
(121) Resistance chart for transmission components.
(122) How To: Install floor tiles.
(123) How To: Replace shocks in an Aerostar.
Last edited by BrooklynBay; 12-16-2012 at 09:17 PM.