BIG pines run 6-17 & pendell run 6-18 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

BIG pines run 6-17 & pendell run 6-18

Tank

Reaction score
ok here we go .... we had a great time on the last trip this time lets hope for rain Dead Link Removed and lets get a bigger group ....

here is my plan .... any input is appriciated

saturday 6-17 leave from a meeting place ( command enterprises again ? ) by 9:00
wheel for 2-3 hrs then hit the pic-a-lilly for lunch .... wheel for another 3-4 hrs and hit a drive up rootbeer stand for dinner

then sunday hit pendell from 9:30-10:00 or so till whenever

who is in ? and anyone have anything else they want to add or do instead ?

------------------
if you never get stuck, you just arent playing hard enough

Fortunately God looks out for fools and 4-wheelers, or am I being redundant.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

before anyone makes any plans .......

i went to mark this on my callendar and noticed that the 18th is fathersday .....
i dont know if its a problem for anyone else but i wanted to bring it up....

i however may be commited to stay at home and be slaved over by my kids .... i also may have the option to go wheeling first ( my day after all ) so let me know what you all think

i dont want anyone to have to bow out ...im looking forward to having a BIG group ....

lets make a quick decision so everyone has time to plan .... i forgot to write down his online name but someone is planning to come from ohio and stay over night fri till sunday for the trip....

------------------

Tank,

That was me talking about staying from Friday to Sunday. It was just a proposal. I'm off that weekend, as well as the one before, but I also forgot it was Father's Day. I'm still cool with that weekend, but if it causes a mess for others, I can go the 10th, or July 1st and 2nd. I know that EMStaxi (Norman) has a rotating schedule like mine, so that's worth considering as well.

I'll try to keep this open until you hear from others along the East, but I definately want to get out there. I'm pretty much stock, with a few goodies but no real lift to speak of.

Paragon might be good, too, if they have suitable trails for those of us with less radical rigs. Dead Link Removed I know that requires some preparation so maybe that can be planned later on.

Rick was talking about possibly having a run in Illinois this summer as well, which would be a great place to bring some of the east and west together. I can vouch for the fineness of those out west; they're a great bunch.

BTW, what's pendall like? Is it strictly hard-core or are there a variety of trails?

------------------
Tom
99 Sport 4x4
SOHC
Auburn Rear & Gerald's old Shackles
265/75-R16 BFG AT's that weren't supposed to fit

I have only one thing to add. Make sure that Bob “the guide” will be joining us. I rather not have my wife see a news brake mentioning that a rescue party is out searching the Pine Barons for a lost group of 4 wheelers Dead Link Removed Man is that place huge. Maybe someone and I will not mention any names (TANK) should buy a Magellan GPS Dead Link Removed

A Pines and Pendell combo weekend. Get 2 for the price of one. Hurry… Hurry… Call now while supplies last. What a great weekend that’s going to be. You can count me and the rust bucket in. I cannot imagine how my truck is going to look after to days of mudding.

------------------
98 Sport 4.0L SOHC auto
Drilled Airbox
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Where are we going???
And why are we in a hand basket???

im doing a rain dance as we speak ... the girls in the office are looking at me funny but ya gotta do what ya gotta do Dead Link Removed

i will be talking to bobby tonight ...he will be there im sure

also eagle .....ummm... when can i have my cb ?!?!?
i want to make sure that the problem was not something else in the system...with enough time to fix it before paragon.....

last but not least.... my propane stopped working ...i had brucedave look at it and the oil pressure switch went bad ....probably when i stalled out in the pines....we bypassed it ( its just a safety so you cant run the propane before the engine gets up to pressure ) now its working i think better than before ...it might have been bad all along and been working intermitently. ... now im back to the drawing board on the adjustments tho.

------------------

well lets field that last one first .....
pendell is a small place ...you would be pushing it with a stocker... but i have seen hix out there with i think just 31" tires kicking butt ...... with us you will be fine ...we know where to avoid and if you wana try it anyway we can pull you out .... it is a great place to find out what your truck can do in the mud and some steep muddy hills .... if you are down you should try it ....worst case you could park it for a few hrs. and ride with one of us ......

as for paragon ....eagle could answer that question better .... he made the same assumption about there being easy trails ( and was led to belive so by the group he went with ) and took his stock explorer up there .... not a good idea .... even hix didnt want to go back without better gearing

i would be interested in the ill. run , let me know what you find out

and as for the 17th & 18th ...im cool the worst case would be that i would have to leave pendell a little early sunday .....

what about evryone else ?

------------------

i also forgot ....bob ...known as "the guide"
will be there ...he is bringing a friend ..drives a sweet f250 ( for now big red )

so ..so far its

tank
eagle
ole yeller
the guide
big red
tom wilk (you have a nickname or call sign ?)

who else ?

------------------

Count me In

------------------
*91 EB *
-5.5 Superlift
-33" tires
-American racing rims
-borla hedders
-chip
-modified air box
-Gibson preformance exhaust
-4:56 gears

excelent !

getting better

tank
eagle
ole yeller
the guide
big red
tom wilk (you have a nickname or call sign ?)
j91ford

how about you emstaxi ?

who else ?

------------------

No nickname, Tank. Though my favorite barmaid used to call me spongie. Don't ask why. Dead Link Removed

Hey, if there are bypasses around the really deep stuff, I'm game. Without much clearance and AT tires, I'm not sure how it'll do in the mud. Like you said, I can always park and ride. I'll probably be loaded with cameras and stuff anyway, so we can get some action pics if I'm not busy driving.

BTW, what town is Pendell near? I'm trying to find it on the map, but it doesn't seem to want to show itself.

------------------
Tom
99 Sport 4x4
SOHC

Tom,
Pendell is located near Langhorn ( thats the town most likely to be on the map)

------------------
*91 EB *
-5.5 Superlift
-33" tires
-American racing rims
-borla hedders
-chip
-modified air box
-Gibson preformance exhaust
-4:56 gears

Thanks, J91. It looks like you're not too far from there, according to my atlas.

------------------
Tom
99 Sport 4x4
SOHC

He He He! Me thinks now that Tom has done Moab, The offroad bug has bitten him very hard indeed. Dead Link Removed Tom my friend, don't forget to plan for Truckhaven 2001 in January. You have 8 months to get ready. Have fun in the mud. Dead Link Removed

------------------
Happy Wheelin'
Ray L.
97 XLT 4X4 4.0L SOHC
Dead Link Removed

I have indeed been bitten. Dead Link Removed Truckhaven is tempting me.... Must..... Resist.... Must.... Not.... Give...... IN!!!!

Ray, I'm torn between the extremely long drive and the great fun. You folks were all very cool (or coal as Gerald would say Dead Link Removed ). It's going to be a tough decision. I'll have to make a big vacation out of it this time. I can't just drive out to California for a few days of wheeling. Let me look into how I can swing that. And, I won't go without my EMU springs. Dead Link Removed

In the meantime, I need practice. Dead Link Removed Well, it's more than practice, it's fun. And I want to meet the eastern half, even though Hix went west (and it was great meeting him as well).

Now if we can get a few others from PA, KY, TN, VA, and OH, I think we can get a pretty good sized group here!

------------------
Tom
99 Sport 4x4
SOHC

well tom .... we are getting involved with alot of groups in this area ... we are going to paragon with baltimore 4wheelers ... i found a link to a group in north jersy ... look in the paragon info thread i put the link there ( has pictures of their trip to paragon too) ...... i am more than willing to travel for a weekend once a month or so ....so if we can put some other stuff together that would be great too !

you wont have any trouble in the pines, there are more bypasses than trails... pendell you have to try ...once you hit your ( or your trucks ) limit then you can ride along or be camera man or whatever ...it is a fun place tho... we need a full time camera person ...we miss soo many cool shots

if you havent seen them go get your "serious explorations" hats now!!

------------------

Thanks, Tank. I've been watching the Paragon thread.

I'm probably going to bring my video camera to Pines and Penndell so that we can get some footage of some of the obstacles being negotiated (I like that word). Perhaps I can send a tape to Rick for future inclusion in a "Serious Explorations 2" video.

I also want to tape some of the more usual stuff, such as runs up a rocky hill and that type of thing. If it's really knarly, it will make good footage. If it's less difficult, it can help as a teaching aid to those of us that are less experienced.

BTW, I have the hat already, and it is a good quality hat. I won it for driving the farthest to get to Moab. Dead Link Removed I'm not sure how I did it yet, as I tend to dislike long distance driving. I also recommend the video that Rick has. Some pretty good stuff on there.

------------------
Tom
99 Sport 4x4
SOHC

tom ..i also highly recomend that you take a look at the safety equipment list ....

i thought about making the minimum requirements mandatory for any run that i am involved in planning .... but decided that we have everything a newbie would need and would rather have him come out than feel left out because he didnt have a band aid in his first aid kit....

but .... for a place like paragon .... if you dont have tha basic stuff ... you probably shouldent be out there to begin with.

im looking forward to having you join us and getting and making some good footage.

norm alias..."emstaxi"... alias "energizer bunny" did awesome in his nearly stock truck ...

------------------

oh yeah ...so you dont misunderstand .... i am not calling you a newbie ....i mean .... you have been to moab .... the mecca of 4 wheeling !

also ...
do you have a cb ? <---- that is an important one

------------------

Tank,

One thing I did do before venturing out to Moab was to make sure I had all the essentials: First aid kit, fire extinguisher, some basic tools, front and rear tow points, a strap, tire repair kit, CB, etc. I have a handheld CB with a roof mount antenna which works quite well for this application.

While I'm not a total newbie, I'm not extremely experienced either. I've spent a good deal of time with 2wd vehicles off road, but that's a totally different experience. Dead Link Removed

I'm looking into another strap, a come-along, and a couple of other toys in the near future, as soon as I get into the next credit card billing cycle. This month is up there, so I want to make sure I can pay it off before I spend more. Dead Link Removed

------------------
Tom
99 Sport 4x4
SOHC

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

oh yes ...belive me ..i know what breaking the bank for your truck is like .... i will be recovering from my "investments" for this paragon trip for a year !

one thing you should invest in if you can swing it is a full sized spare .... most of the off road tire problems i have seen are not fixable off road if at all .

------------------

Back