BIG pines run 6-17 & pendell run 6-18 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

BIG pines run 6-17 & pendell run 6-18

Got the spare! Well, it's a firestone, but it is nearly new and it is almost the same size (30" vs. 31.5" for the BFG's). Wouldn't want to run it on the back axle too far on the road (wear out that limited slip pretty fast), but on the trail, it would be OK.

There was a funny picture of Rick putting duct tape over a sidewall repair on his truck, but the link died. You would have gotten a chuckle out of it.

One of the Moab participants, I forget who, had two tire sidewalls gouged by rocks. He had a big glob of safety seals sticking out of one and used his spare on the other. Fortunately, he had on-board air (and not just the little 12 volt cigarette lighter one that I have) so he could keep the pressure topped off long enough to get back to town.

------------------
Tom
99 Sport 4x4
SOHC
Auburn Rear & Gerald's old Shackles
265/75-R16 BFG AT's that weren't supposed to fit

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Photos can be decieving... I didn't put that duct tape on there. I went to my truck to get the Safety Seals and CO2, when I got back someone had already placed a duct tape bandage over the "wounds".

Sounds like a great trip, I wish I could make it out there!

------------------
Rick Horwitz
Editor
explorer@4x4central.com
www.4x4central.com
Ricks Explorer

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 05-18-2000).]

oh i could spend a whole month buying all the stuff i want for my truck but i didnt win the @#%#@ lottery !

in fact my clutch just went for my fan .. thats $130.00 out the door that i didnt expect to have to spend a week before my trip !

------------------
if you never get stuck, you just arent playing hard enough

Fortunately God looks out for fools and 4-wheelers, or am I being redundant.

Heh Heh! Well Rick, in this case, it was deceiving. Dead Link Removed I didn't think you would actually repair the tire with it. Dead Link Removed I know that Mark was funnin' ya when he posted that, and I thought it was kind of humerous as well. Incidentally, I held the rear bumper on my 74 Torino with duct tape for about a week, until I could get some chain to mount it more "permanently".

BTW, we call it "West Virginia Chrome" around here with apologies to the state from which I get half of my roots.

BTW #2, if you ever decide on wheeling near the middle of the country, I'm sure that with enough notice, we could get a sizeable group together.

I wish you could make it out this way as well. I hope to be able to get some type of report up for this run, with pics. I'd also like to get a little video. If I send a tape of some action to you and it turns out decent, would you consider it for a future "serious explorations" video?

------------------
Tom
99 Sport 4x4
SOHC

i would be verry interested in a east meets west run ...somewhere half way for both of us ...maby something new for evryone ( no home field advantage so to speak )

------------------

Sorry guys, haven't check the post in a couple of days. I have mentioned going back to the pines to a couple of guys at work and they are interested in going. It would be an Expedition, Dodge Dakota, and a J**P.

I can do the 17th, but can't stay all day. Have to work that night. Working the 16th at my other job at night. wish I knew about the second run before I put my schedule in. Oh well Dead Link Removed If you guys decide to do the 10th, thats no problem for me, off all day.

Ever since that sat, when I back into my driveway over the curb, the body creeks as like when we went 4whln. Did I loosen the whole truck up? Hopefully I'll have my tires on and and have the truck lifted little by the next run. Oh yea, I also plan on taking the running boards off. I don't want to get caught up again....hehehe

I copied the list of who's going:

Tank
Eagle
Ole Yeller
The guide
Big Red
Tom Wilk (you have a nickname or call sign ?)
J91ford
EMStaxi(energizer)+ possibly 3 (will confirm at later time)

------------------
Norman B.
97 Mountaineer 5.0 V8 AWD
KKM Tru-Rev with Homemade Ram Air
BOSCH PLATINUM +4's
Prestige Platinum 750a-APS alarm w/ remote start
Edelbrock Performer IAS Shocks
Manik Pushbar & Tailight Gaurds
More to Come Before Summer :)

Tom, of course I would consider the video for another tape. I barely shot any of the video from the first one so don't think that I need to be the one who does the recording.

I would post more trip reports as well, but no one sends me any write-ups from their runs. As I've said before, if you send me a trip report with photos I'll put it online for everyone to see. "Serious Explorations" are not limited to west of the Mississippi!

I would like to do a mid-America run. Paul Sabin had one in Kansas last year http://www.explorer4x4.com/heartland_1.html

Maybe the next one can pull a lot more people.

Another idea I had was a run at the Indiana Badlands off-road park. It's privately owned and looks pretty cool from their website and the magazine articles I've seen.

------------------
Rick Horwitz
Editor
explorer@4x4central.com
www.4x4central.com
Ricks Explorer

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 05-19-2000).]

i am definately interested in the badlands !!

hey rick .... i know this is an "explorer" site ..but alot of the guys in our group dont drive explorers or at least not as their off road truck. when you or someone thru here plans a run, is it limited to explorers ?

i personaly like to see as many different types of trucks at runs ...it tends to make things more interesting.

------------------

Rick,

Unfortunately, I did not take my video camera to Moab. I really hadn't used it, even though I've had it for about a year. I'm practicing a bit with it now, getting used to how it operates so that I can actually get some decent shots. I hadn't even had my regular camera out in about a year, so I'm surprised that I got any decent shots with that.

BTW, it's a JVC GR-AX930 (is that bad or good?) that uses the compact VHS tapes. Do you have any recommendations as to what brand or type of tape I should use for the best picture quality? This camera is loaded with editing features like fade and such, though I don't think I'll be doing much editing, certainly not on the trail. Dead Link Removed In fact, it has features I've never even heard of.

Kansas and Indiana are both within a day's drive for me (a long day for Kansas), so I would certainly be able to make those runs, as long as I can get the time off. Dead Link Removed I'll have to check out the Badlands web site.

As far as other vehicles are concerned (at least on the east coast trips), since this is an Explorer site, the bulk of any write ups would have to involve Explorers, but I certainly wouldn't ignore the other vehicles. I don't think footage of a Jeep going up some steep muddy hill would make it onto an Explorer video, but it would make a nice picture. Plus, all the folks that were on that run would enjoy it, I'm sure.

Now, on a central US run, Rick would have to answer that one. If Ford is involved, I'm pretty sure that they'd want the vast majority of vehicles to be Fords (unless that one "traitor" shows up Dead Link Removed ).

Norman, it would be great to have another stock-type Explorer around. I need someone to talk to while the tall ones play in the deep mud. Dead Link Removed Actually, if we had 3 or 4 stockers, we could possibly branch out onto other trails.

Tank, do you know of any trail maps for Pines and/or Pendall? I'd like to get a look at what they have there before I go.

Also, how's the lodging nearby? I'd probably want to stay somewhere close to Pines the Friday before as well as Saturday, unless someone plans on camping on Saturday night. If we are planning on meeting in Pitman, I'd probably want to stay right around there if possible. I'm not looking for anything upscale, just a clean bed, a TV, and a decent neighborhood. Dead Link Removed

------------------
Tom
99 Sport 4x4
SOHC

ok ...first .... i know that any write ups and pictures would be just explorers ..what i wanted to know is if there was a run set up by rick or someone else from "serious explorations" it would be focused around explorers ...but would other trucks be welcome to join in the fun ? i really want to get together with the left coast guys but also would hate to leave any of my friends out.

as for the lodging .... there is just about evry major hotel in this general area ... but not in pitman ... ( a one horse town ) ... but look for glassboro, turnersville, or deptford, then once you are set up i will tell you how to get where we are meeting from wherever you are staying. no matter what you wont be more than 10-15 minutes from where we meet.

as for a map of the pines ..no i dont have one... its too huge ...basicly all of south jersy IS the pines with town in between... so you will have to trust bob "the guide" ... if you saw the posts about him from the last trip youll see ...he knows the pines his father has his topographical map and he is trying to get it ...

as for pendell ... it is a total of about 8-10 acres ... the "trail" if you want to call it that, is just a circle with crossing trails in between...if you take the easy rout it would take 10 minutes at most to go all the way around..... it is small but fun .... i have seen trucks with 44" boggers tackle the harder stuff and get major stuck .... i think i even saw a hummer stuck there a few times Dead Link Removed

------------------

Tank, all of the "Serious Explorations" runs have been all Explorers and Navajos, except for Rangerx in his '94 Ranger or as we like to call it his "Sport Trac prototype".

We did pick up an F-150 in Moab who heard about our run and asked if he could tag along.

Jeeps have their Jamborees and we have our "Serious Explorations". Of course you can invite whoever you would like on the trips that you plan, but when you do an article bias it towards the Explorers and try and get some shots of just the Explorers as a group.

------------------
Rick Horwitz
Editor
explorer@4x4central.com
www.4x4central.com
Ricks Explorer

i have been preoccupied with the paragon trip so i havent posted here in a few days.

but evrything is still a go this run is open to everyone and between the 2 days should provide a prety wide variety of obstacles.

also we can check with j91 and see if he wants to lead a group of explorers and anything else from that size down ...to a trail just 10 minutes from pendell ...the trails are too tight for full size ... but if i remember right he said its rock climbing type of terrain.....

------------------

hey tank
thats sounds great i would love to go back there with a couple people including you there is a huge mud pit that i know you would love to try i dont know how deep it is but with wise and Length wise its huge. there is a tractor tire in there for an extra obstical. that would be no problem for your truck to get to that spot its all prety much open there.

------------------
*91 EB *
-5.5 Superlift
-33" tires
-American racing rims
-borla hedders
-chip
-modified air box
-Gibson preformance exhaust
-4:56 gears

hey j91 hows your truck ? did you find the source of that noise ? and did you add anything to your wish list for your truck after the paragon trip ?

well now that the paragon trip is out of the way we can focus on the pines run for the 17th and 18th

ok lets start from scratch ...so ... now ...who is in for this ?

tank +1-2
eagle
j91ford ?

Well of course i have a wish list now!
Air lockers front and rear
im thinking of fabricating some nice rollbars
i definitly need new tires ( bfg mud terrane)

Overall i think my truck did pretty good im proud of it!

Im in for the pines run

your truck did great ... i wish you could have done wampum and rattlesnake .... i think you would have done well

did you figure out what that noise was ?

they are having another paragon run in august ... i WILL be there ... as soon as i get the final word on the date i will post a new thread for the next paragon run

MABY WE COULD GET SOME EXPLORERS TO GO TOO !

Tank, I'm still in for the Pines run on the 17-18th of June.

As far as Paragon, we need some pics. I'd like to see how the trails look. :) I'm glad to see everyone came out unscathed!!

ok great ...

tank
eagle
j91ford
tom wilk

and ?

eagle has all the good pics ( i hope ) and he is going to get them on cd too so one of us will post some as soon as he gets them done

i have a few good ones of j91 but my wife forgot to get them on cd so i have to take them back to get it.

Just bumping to keep this thread alive.

The list of participants seems a little shorter than it was. EMStaxi, are you going?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My LAST East coast run

Well this will probably be my last east coast run before I move to AZ. I will be doing plenty of 4 wheeling out there. Lets try to make this trip a big one. What do ya say everybody. I do have 4 rolls of pics. Some good some not so good. I will be putting the better ones on my web sight. As soon as I figure out how I can squeeze out some more megs from it. But be fore warned. Even though this was an open event approximately 90% of all trucks were jeeps. There was only 1 explorer amongst 80 or so trucks at this event. Please take your hats off for J91FORD. He did an amazing job.

Back