Jurassic Park...The SUV! | Page 18 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Jurassic Park...The SUV!

Alright so some of you know Ive been painting my truck the last week, and I was going to wait to show it off at T-haven...But I know you all can't wait and I'm to proud of my hard work:D

So here are some pictures I took with my cell phone.

JP_Truck_High.jpg

JP_Truck_Side.jpg

Still have more to do, need to remount the front bumper, wetsand the whole truck and put on the JP logos when they get here..

The entire paint job was done using a $10 air sprayer from Harbor Freight and Rustoleum paint. The green I actually custom made, as no color was available like that.;)

Here is the original...in case you forgot:p:
(dead link)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

any update on this thing?

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

This weekend I think we'll open the rear end a see what a mess we me made of it in Moab. New axle shafts are ready to go in.

Stay tuned for carnage. :cool:

Broke just below the splines. Haven't got the other piece out yet. It's giving me trouble getting the locker out:frown:

20160806_133403.jpg

Yikes must have been loads of shiny stuff in the gear oil.

It's like glitter...:banghead:

Old shaft and New shaft

20160806_142240.jpg

Catastrophic failure. :eek:

20160806_154525.jpg

:chug:
That's some good looking carnage:eek:

Any damage to the caliper?

The boots for the bolts on the caliper are toast. Other then that it looks fine. The rotor is still good too.

The amount of shaving is crazy. I cleaned it out as best I could, and knowing I will not get all the shavings out, I put a big magnet in the valley. Any shavings should get picked up there and stay there till the next oil change.

Good news it's all back together and drives...sort of.

Locker is not working right. So I have to take it back apart:banghead:

It's locked on the passenger side, but dead on the driver. The passenger will not release and with 5.13's and very little skinny pedal it spins like I'm running 700hp.:burnout:

Alloy. Got them 1/2 price off Amazon.

Rear locker died:rolleyes: Made it 13 years. No do I replace it for $500, or do something else:banghead:

Did it go at the same time as the axle shaft? Or is this separate carnage? 13 years is pretty darn good!

It was the same side, so I think it was stressed or fractured. Once It had any load on it again, it was done.

20160925_125720.jpg

I've been happy with my Detroit, pretty much worry free like the powertrax...until it breaks:p.

You could do a 14 bolt in the rear and snag some 8 lug brakes from your parents to convert the front axle, I'm sure they won't mind:D

I have had a Detroit about the same amount of time you have had yours. Really like it, great road manners. I had a no slip for about a year before it blew on the Rubicon trail. It got stuck on, so it was like a spool for the long drive home. Had to cut the carrier in half to get it out.

After some research, the cheapest and fastest thing to do is just throw the same thing back in. It's limited slip carrier, so there is only one locker that will work. Doing anything else will cost at least double, and Oct. Truckhaven would be out due to time constraints. :dunno:

I never thought I'd say this, but I think in the near future, add a front locker, cro moly front shafts, maybe cage the engine, and it's done.

Not going to push this truck beyond what it can and can't do. It's great trail truck that will go just about anywhere. But it will never be a hard core rock crawler, without eating itself alive.

I can accept that.

Back