How-To: Rear Bucket Seats - BIG PICS | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How-To: Rear Bucket Seats - BIG PICS

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I see they are power seats,

Phase II power rear seats???

I wish. The power track adds about 5" of height to the seats. The backs would be at the ceiling. :(

how close are the messurments???? cause i really wana be pretty close, to exact!!!

Has anyone every thought of replacing their seats with conversion-van-style captain chairs? I'm getting really fed up with my 3gen XLS chairs- the backs are thin, flat and hard! I don't even have any lumbar adjustments. And the rear bench's back is so low, its somewhat uncomfortable to sit in.

I'm pondering either swapping out my 2 bucket seats and back bench for 4 conversion van bucket seats, or 4 1st -2nd gen eddie bauer bucket seats.

Of course I would have to fabricate new pedestals for the conversion van style seats.

What do yall think?

Could you imagine something like this in a 3rd gen explorer?
classic_seat_small.jpg

Of course at least the outside arm rests would have to be taken off and I might have to loose the center console.

thats so cool :) nice execution thus far!!!

Looks good my friend! What are your thoughts of doing this on a sport model?

I've always loved the design the the F-250 seats... what would yall think of 4 f-250 Lariat bucket seats in an Explorer?!?

Even better... F-250 King ranch seats! I wouldn't think they are that much bigger. These 3gen seats are already quite big I think.
e7a4_3.jpg

hehe. I'm still thinking about all the options.

looks good so far keep up good work

Those might actually fit in a Gen 3. Wonder if the arm rests come off?

Those things need some conditioner on them ASAP!

yeah but what happens when you need to fold the seats down and use the cargo area? ive tried it in the front with the seats reclined back and the center console gets in the way.

hey.. someone had to say it.

yeah but what happens when you need to fold the seats down and use the cargo area? ive tried it in the front with the seats reclined back and the center console gets in the way.

hey.. someone had to say it.

I've done ok for 4 years.

IMG_1947.jpg

Those might actually fit in a Gen 3. Wonder if the arm rests come off?

Those things need some conditioner on them ASAP!

Not worried about the arm rests, I can always just get a hack saw and just saw em off! seriously, And then I could always just sow a patch of vinyl over it. Or The center console could also just come out to accommodate the arm rests, at least the back half of the console, not the cup holders! need those.

That is one of the coolest ideas ive ever seen!

I dont have access to a welder or anything, did you just use the bench seat brackets, or did you make them yourself?

I am really interested in doing this...

IamTodd's back seat mod pic

I've done ok for 4 years.

IMG_1947.jpg

IamTodd, I want do you the same thing to my back seats as you did in yours. Do you have any instructions on how you did it? Thx!

How-To install rear bucket seats into a 91-01 Explorer

02.jpg

Here are the brackets for one seat (as well as the long bar which both seats are bolted to). It's hard to see in the photo, but notice the notches cut out in order for wiring harnesses to run under the bracket.

03.jpg

Here is a better shot of the notches. Also, the arrows indicate the mounting locations as seen in picture one. This is definitely not a complex piece to make. :p:

I am in the process of finding another center console for the rear to complete this project.

Rough Bracket Measurements
Long Bar = 1"x1"x1/8" tubing - 49" long
Rear Angle Iron = 1" angle 1/8" thick -19.5" long
Front Angle Iron = 1" angle 1/8" thick - 17" long
Front seat bracket height = 7.5"

So, Just to clear everything up. Did you make the brackets or use the nrackets from the old bench seat and/or th brackets from bucket seats

-Marc

That is awesome good work.:D

now how about adding a third row seat?

Thanks for all that info. They look great. I was just imagining this the other day and stumbled on this thread. And best of all, a pair of seats and center console at my favorite auto salvage only costs me 50 bucks. Thanks:thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

do u think you could get a sub box in the middle in stead?

Back