• Register Today It's free!

285's wont fit? are you sure?

dannyb420

Reaction score
City, State
Cleveland, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 XLT
Here's my dilema, I have an 04 xlt that currently has 265's on it. I bought RB's 2" coil spacers and I bought 1.5" wheel spacers. I have the stock 16" rim and I want to run 285's but I have heard 285's wont work, I have to go with 265's again. Is there anyone out there that can prove the others wrong? I am about to have my spacers (both coil spacers and wheel spacers) installed and want to buy new tires as well. I can get 285's for just $4 more per tire then the 265's. I thought I saw someone say the 285's would fit as long as I pull back some of the plastic that protects then engine?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you can get an idea yourself with a tape measure or even your eyeballs. you are going roughly a little over 2 inches in height and a little over 1 inch in width. hope this helps.

Here's my dilema, I have an 04 xlt that currently has 265's on it. I bought RB's 2" coil spacers and I bought 1.5" wheel spacers. I have the stock 16" rim and I want to run 285's but I have heard 285's wont work, I have to go with 265's again. Is there anyone out there that can prove the others wrong? I am about to have my spacers (both coil spacers and wheel spacers) installed and want to buy new tires as well. I can get 285's for just $4 more per tire then the 265's. I thought I saw someone say the 285's would fit as long as I pull back some of the plastic that protects then engine?

no chance:thumbdwn:...you need 2 inch coil spacers and a body lift to run 285's....you can run 285's with a 3 inch body lift with trimming....

Thats what I was afraid of...I bought the 2" spacers because the warden...aka my wife...was *****in about it being too big with 3". It is a daily driven vehicle so I guess I understand.. but I was hoping I could still do 285's...oh well...guess 265's it is.

Thats what I was afraid of...I bought the 2" spacers because the warden...aka my wife...was *****in about it being too big with 3". It is a daily driven vehicle so I guess I understand.. but I was hoping I could still do 285's...oh well...guess 265's it is.

look at the rear axle of your x....notice how its not perfectly center of the wheel well...now look at my thread a couple post down..."6 inchs closer to God"...see how i had to have the body lift for it to clear that part? i also have 3/2.5 inch rb spacers....cant really tell but im positive it would hit right there and the tire wouldnt even go on....itll look good with 265's and wheel spacers...:thumbsup:

if i recall correctly RoadBully had 3in springs with 285's. it worked but he said there was rubbing while flexing (mostly offroad)

I think just about every Ex is differant in how it sits stock, but here is Road Bullys with 285's and 3 inch springs
Picture024-1.jpg

fitment

i work at a tire shop in perrysville ohio called blevin tires. if you could ever get diwn there we could try sum sizes on ur x!? we have real good prices to!

Does everone forget that I fit 285's without any lift at all?

It just depends on the X, I have 265's with no lift and they don't rub at all. 285's should work, with some very minor adjustments.

DC-1's.

We should get a sponsorship with all the Cepek tires and rims we use.

I agree with the sponsorship. im looking at a set for my winter tires. then have 20s for the summer

It just depends on the X, I have 265's with no lift and they don't rub at all. 285's should work, with some very minor adjustments.

My "X" is the same way, 265 on stock suspension and wheels. Are you running stock wheels? That can make a difference on how different sized tires fit just as much as the variance found between stock "X's".

I have the stock 16" rims on now and I am running 265 REVO's right now with no problems. I am told that I can run 285's with the 2" lift but I would have to zip tie some of the plastic in the wheel well. My only fear is that it would rub with the front fender when I am at full turn but I guess if that was the case no one would be able to run 285's unless they had a lift that took the body completely up past the wheel. I plan on getting the tires from tirerack, does anyone know if I could return them if they dont fit?

there was an old post, i think in the original 3rd gen explorers offroad thread, were a guy had fit some used 285's on a set of 2nd gen rims and they fit. its as much about backspacing as anything else.

the 2nd gen rims have 1 inch less backspacing then our rim.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

what are the odds I could clear 265/70//17's at stock ride height?

Back