• Register Today It's free!

Engine Swap Options

jk1

Reaction score
City, State
Columbus, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Mountaineer
Hello all, I'm a long time reader but new member and am thankful for this site!

That being said, I have an 02 Mountaineer (4.6 AWD, vin engine code W) that Ive had for a short time (less than a year) that was severally neglected maintenance wise before it became mine and so after much time, effort and money (trans included) It seems a new engine is around the corner.

Question is what are my options? What can I put in (better than old, 4.6 3v, 5.4 etc?) that I can find outta a junkyard maybe and rebuild? I dont wanna guess and buy something that wont fit or work right because of whatever reason, ie space, electrical and etc... I'm pretty mechanical and have swapped engines in different rides of mine and have learned the best way to find something out I don't know is to ask lol.

Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well i did my first engine swap in my 2003 last year (at 19 years old...so not to hard lol). I picked up a 4.6L out of a totaled out 05 mountie and used it as a long block... any explorer engine can be dropped right into yours... i sugjest 03+ built engines (so 04+ newer explorers). You can also do a 5.4L swap with out much difficulty. The options for finding a different engine are New(most expensive but has warantee), rebuilt (also expensive, lesser warantee), and used (least expensive, and a slight gamble).

I say you go with a 03 cobra swap! More powwaaa!!!!

I would love to swap for a Terminator but the thing is I don't know if the dohc 4v would work with all electronics, accessories and etc...considering stock is a sohc 2v (correct me if Im wrong please), nevermind the supercharger fitting under the hood lol.

But if a dohc 4v engine would work without too much trouble I'd source one at junkyard outta 2002 Lincoln Continental, 2003-04 Ford Mustang Mach 1 or something, rebuild it, cobra valve covers and put a supercharger on my future shopping list!

Anyone know for sure or have done a similar swap?

Dont think it would be that hard, my 04 Aviator came with a 4.6l DOHC motor. Essentially its the motor out of the marauder. And ive been looking at superchargers for a while now.

they fit... if i have to put another motor in mine its going to be a cobra motor, tuning would be required but it would fire right up, a modified y-pipe would be needed, but thats all i can think of...

I thought about going the cobra route but for now im looking into just doing a kenne bell on mine.

4.6 or 5.4 2v aren't bad motors. The make more torque down low, but the 4v motor win the horsepower race up top. I think 2 valve motors are more suited for truck applications.

I'd do a 5.4 2v motor in a heartbeat if I found that $ under a rock I've been looking 'fer. I believe 2006 EB's came with 5.4's, any 3rd gen arrive with a factory 5.4??

2v motors are great with a positive displacement 'huffer (roots style, not centrigal). Big twist, right off idle.

EDIT: Maybe I'm wrong about the 5.4 L EB's... I can't find any

never heard of a 5.4L in an explorer. The 5.4 is a nice motor, but a 4v 4.6L has a higher potential for power because it can rev higher.... somthing like 7.5 grand with stock cams + crank.

True. But for a truck application I'll take 400 ft-lbs at 2500 rpm over 400 hp @ 7000 rpm. I'm talking about useful power here.

To heck with it, do a 6.8L V10 swap. I come from a Panther (Crown vic, Gran Marq) community. There was a V10 Panther 4 years before anyone shoehorned a Cobra motor into that chassis.

I'm not even going to mention fuel economy, the V10 is embarrasing on that front.

lol how much longer than the 5.4L is the 6.8? i dont think there is enough room to shoe horn a v10 into our trucks lol...though... i have to admit...that would be OH so fun!!

5.4 is longer and taller. I know the issue in panther's was the air-conditioning (condeser? something on the firewall, required trimming / relocation) The v10 is shorter in height and in length I believe, but it is wider??. Modular ford motors are huge. The are wider than 460's by 9".

I'll take 420 ft-lbs, but I'd rather avoid 10 mpg. The guy with the V10 crown vic got 12mpg. And then he turbo'd it...

Always found this interesting EngineDimensions

How about the 4.6 dohc 4v bolting up to the tranny and the electrics, etc?

worst case it needs a new engine wireing harness... but that will plug right into the stock computer(the one off hte aviator should work..) just make sure its an aviator dohc for the easiest swap, or you could be buying engine parts to make it work with your truck. it will bolt right up to the stock driveline.

So In theory, an 03 cobra motor would bolt right up to a v8 mounty/explorer? The only problems would be in the wiring?

yes. A tune would be needed for the Fi. And possibly a new y pipe to hook up to the headers.

but mostly everything would just be plug and play?!?

Kinda makes me wanna blow up the ole 4.0

lol if your going from 4.0 to 4.6 it may need a new computer as well, these are realy the questions to ask a shop that does performance work. i KNOW aviators use a non supercharged 4.6 dohc 32v and it bolts up to the same 5r55w as our 4.0's and 2v 4.6l. the 4v uses the same block, it just has the newer heads on it. a cobra motor would be a very nice touch to these rigs FROM FORD. 365 horses at the crank on a stable daily drive engine would be amazing.... better fuel efficency as well...pending little peddle not being smashed to the fire wall at all times :).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Man I would love to throw a v10 under the hood of the mountaineer. I'd get about the same gas milage I bet! The 35s really eat up the gas but you gotta pay to play Soooooo

Back