Terrain Management / AdvanceTrac System Errors | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Terrain Management / AdvanceTrac System Errors

Fixed - simple...!

Yes, my Ford Dealership tech was able to review the error codes and actually found a piece of metal/rust in the sensor unit that was causing the failt. All fixed! took 10 minutes.:)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

parixit & pomerjo,

Was your dealer successful in resolving the concern for you? If not, or if you have any other issues, please feel free to message me. I already have you Explorer’s info from tracking the order status, so all I would need is your approximate mileage and dealer name.

For those who haven’t sent me their information and would like help with taking care of a concern, please PM me with your VIN and the above information.

Cory

Hi Cory,

I have given my car for service to the dealer. Encinitas Ford http://www.encinitasford.com/ . Could you please talk to them for provide known fix for this issue?

Thanks,
-Parixit

Hi Cory,

I have given my car for service to the dealer. Encinitas Ford http://www.encinitasford.com/ . Could you please talk to them for provide known fix for this issue?

Thanks,
-Parixit
Parixit,

Thank you for letting me know. I also got your private message with your request. I escalated this for you and I set it up so you’ll be called today.

Cory

I just purchased a 2012 Explorer XLT and have had it for six days with 150 miles on it. Today I also had the tms fault light come on and disable my tms knob. Out of ten starts, the fault light came on four times. I have now started the truck four times in a row and the fault has not illuminated. I will drop off the truck tommorow at the dealership to have it looked at. I have owned several other Ford models in the past and shied away from the Jeep as my track record with Chrysler was dismal. I'm not getting a warm and fuzzy feeling with the Explorer and these posts, although enlightening lead me to believe that a problem exists with this system.

Officer: Why are you stopping on the freeway???

Sorry, sir. I had to reboot my car.

Ticket gets written with no mercy, unless said officer has a new 2011 Ford Explorer sitting in his garage at home.

If he does, they hug it out and have a little cry....

:salute:
Part of the reason my last 2 car purchases were GM products

Today I also had the tms fault light come on and disable my tms knob. Out of ten starts, the fault light came on four times...
I want to see this taken care of for you, rmp301. I’m here to help and can forward your details to the Customer Service Manager in your area. So I can do this, please send a PM with your VIN, contact information, dealer name/state, and approximate mileage.

Cory

I also have had this problem 3 times only had the ex for a week and half not even 300 miles on it and no answer no code and not good

I also have had this problem 3 times only had the ex for a week and half not even 300 miles on it and no answer no code and not good
Judy Pav,

I want to help by arranging a call from the Customer Service Manager in your region. I have your VIN from previous messages, so please send a PM with your contact information, approximate mileage, and dealer name/state.

Cory

Terrain mgmt fault

I did pm you cory hope you got it

same problem here

just bought a 2012 explorer xlt on friday and with less than 200 miles on it, started it up today only to see the 'terrain management system fault' light up on the dash. is there any definitive resolution to this, as i'd rather not drop it off at the dealer and have the mechanics try and troubleshoot/tear it apart try to figure out what is causing this? not the kind of start i was hoping for with this new vehicle.

shayne

I'm slightly frustrated. I have my Explorer in for service, and the dealer said they can't find any faults in the system....and I get the "Terrain System Management Fault" WEEKLY...I even had it on the way to the dealership!

just bought a 2012 explorer xlt on friday and with less than 200 miles on it, started it up today only to see the 'terrain management system fault' light up on the dash...
I'm slightly frustrated. I have my Explorer in for service, and the dealer said they can't find any faults in the system....and I get the "Terrain System Management Fault" WEEKLY...I even had it on the way to the dealership!
Shayne & JustB_Rad,

In case you missed my earlier post, I’m here to help by forwarding this to the Customer Service Manager in your region. So I can do that, please send a PM with your mileage, VIN, contact information, and dealer name/state.

Cory

Quote from Explorer manual: TERRAIN MANAGEMENT SYSTEM FAULT: If this message is
displayed, cycling the key may clear the fault. If the fault is not cleared
after a key cycle, have the system serviced by an authorized dealer.
It appears that Ford is aware that this can pop up, but for what reason? They do not state nor does the dealership know. This fault shows no code when I have brought it in, so is it a false error? Also .......... Would cycling the key mean to turn off and pull out of ignition? Some technology at work here!

Torrential rain last night and this morning TMS Fault occurred. Sync could not find my phone either. Drove about ten minutes and let truck warm up and shut, removed key then restarted. All was back to normal. TMS seems to fault out whenever it rains ............ Now with the phone, I wonder if it is a high moisture problem that causes it to occur.

Torrential rain last night and this morning TMS Fault occurred. Sync could not find my phone either. Drove about ten minutes and let truck warm up and shut, removed key then restarted. All was back to normal. TMS seems to fault out whenever it rains ............

Terrain Management System Fault for me this morning. It was drizzling out, not hard rain at all and it faulted. I shut car off, then it was fine. It did not work at all when the fault was displayed, none of the dial settings on the TMS worked at all, none lit up.

First time seeing this and hope it is the last. :rolleyes:

Terrain Management System Fault for me this morning. It was drizzling out, not hard rain at all and it faulted. I shut car off, then it was fine. It did not work at all when the fault was displayed, none of the dial settings on the TMS worked at all, none lit up.

First time seeing this and hope it is the last. :rolleyes:

Last time it happened to me in the wet, I tested it by flooring it, and the 4wd still seemed to work though.

Last time it happened to me in the wet, I tested it by flooring it, and the 4wd still seemed to work though.

The dial on mine just spun around and none of the selections lit up so looked like it was stuck in the last selection I guess. :(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The dial on mine just spun around and none of the selections lit up so looked like it was stuck in the last selection I guess. :(

I had something similar. I had an Advance Track Fault along with TMS fault and Collision Warning OFF twice! Took it to the dealer and they diagnosed it (after lots of testing) as a Steering Angle sensor failure. They are replacing it now and I should get it back tomorrow.

For those who have dealers who can find "no fault codes" - RUN A VEHICLE HEALTH REPORT WHEN THE CODES SHOW UP AND BEFORE THEY CLEAR! They can't say it doesn't show up when it's right in your file! That's what I did. My dealer was great - put his best mechanic and another mechanic on it for the better part of two days and figured it out. Despite the fact that this dealer is an hour away, I will come back!

Back