2013 Explorer Power Steering Light - A little ANGRY!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 Explorer Power Steering Light - A little ANGRY!!!

Cobalt17

Reaction score
City, State
Cambridge,Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited
Hello everybody. Was hoping to make this a very happy and delightful introduction but...... I purchased a new 2013 Explorer limited 2 weeks ago and loved everything about it. I was drving cross country from Oregon to Toronto when the power steering warning light came on in Chicago. I had it towed to a dealer where they told me they just did a reset and it was fine. It came on again a few days later and now I'm told I need a whole new steering box. I was also informed that ford does not pay for a loaner car while it is being fixed, which shouild be 3-6 days. This is my 7th new ford and I'm a little shocked to say the least. If this is how ford treats their loyal customers then they can find me shopping for my next vehicles somewhere else!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Contact Cory on here, have him get your CS Manager in your area to contact you or get their name/number. They will pay for a rental if ypu escalate it on a situation like this.

Appears to be a steering gear issue. Due off backorder on the 25th of this month. I agree with others, get ahold of Cory or call 1-800-392-3673 and ask for a loaner vehicle. Customer Assistance would definitely help you out with a brand new Explorer and the issue you are having.

Just spent 45 min with the customer service reps from both Canada and the US and both are giving me the runaround saying the problem is not with them...guess you really find out what a company stands for when the **** hits the fan :(

Contact Cory, not the hotlines, and temper the language... I know it's frustrating, but this is a family friendly site.

I didnt realize you were in Canada, I don't believe he can help in canada.. from what I've read on here it seems canada's completely different and very unwilling to help.

My dealer gives me a loaner car while the service my car. Have you checked with them to see if they have anything to help you out?
When I did the apiller fix, they had my car almost three weeks and I used their car the whole time. It's nice that I don't have to have anyone meet me there also.

Hope you can get it all worked out!

Just spent 45 min with the customer service reps from both Canada and the US and both are giving me the runaround saying the problem is not with them...(
Welcome to the forum, Cobalt17; I want to see this resolved for you. Please PM me with the details on your call to Ford of Canada; please also include your contact info, VIN, mileage, and dealer information.

Contact Cory on here...
...I agree with others, get ahold of Cory...
Contact Cory...
blwnsmoke, RonJrSVCMGR, & Joe Dirt,

I really appreciate the shout-outs. :)

Cory

Hi,

I was wondering how serious his issue you have encountered.
Did your car lose control or something? Or just the warning light was making signal.
Could anyone who meet this problem before give some details ?
Thanks!

Hello everybody. Was hoping to make this a very happy and delightful introduction but...... I purchased a new 2013 Explorer limited 2 weeks ago and loved everything about it. I was drving cross country from Oregon to Toronto when the power steering warning light came on in Chicago. I had it towed to a dealer where they told me they just did a reset and it was fine. It came on again a few days later and now I'm told I need a whole new steering box. I was also informed that ford does not pay for a loaner car while it is being fixed, which shouild be 3-6 days. This is my 7th new ford and I'm a little shocked to say the least. If this is how ford treats their loyal customers then they can find me shopping for my next vehicles somewhere else!!

Hi,

I was wondering how serious his issue you have encountered.
Did your car lose control or something? Or just the warning light was making signal.
Could anyone who meet this problem before give some details ?
Thanks!
I haven't had this problem but from reading the post, it looks like he just had a warning light come on. Are you having the same issue with your Honda?

Peter

I do wish Ford Corp. would get on top of things like this. I understand not providing a loaner vehicle for a questionable warranty repair, or for a single day repair that the person can take the shuttle to/from work or wherever. When something major that is OBVIOUSLY a manufacturing defect occurs, the dealership should be able to provide a loaner vehcile at no cost, no hassle. Maybe a policy of any warranty repair requiring the vehicle to be out of service (scheduled time for repair) of more than two days?
If not a free loaner, at least one at drastically reduced rate- $5-10 per day.

Cory- Good to see you are still around!

Cobalt17- Cory is a good guy and has done a great job taking care of a lot of folks on this forum. Think of him as a member of your team, not the "other" guys. :)

Hey Cory any fixes to this yet. As it is -36c here and this just happened to us and there isn't even 1000 mms on it yet. Not a good taste in the mouth for the first ford. Now no courtesy vehicle and no wheels and a one year old child. This is crazy. So is there anything we can tell the dealership to do to fix this. And we travel every month sometimes -40 c and no towns for at least 400 miles now a $60000 vehicle we don't want to drive. Really upsetting

Hey Cory any fixes to this yet. As it is -36c here and this just happened to us and there isn't even 1000 mms on it yet. Not a good taste in the mouth for the first ford. Now no courtesy vehicle and no wheels and a one year old child. This is crazy. So is there anything we can tell the dealership to do to fix this. And we travel every month sometimes -40 c and no towns for at least 400 miles now a $60000 vehicle we don't want to drive. Really upsetting
Welcome to the Forum Zipper84.:wavey:
Cory hasn't been on this Forum for a couple of months now. The person monitoring this Forum now is Crystal. As far as I know the only solution has been to replace the steering rack. Several owners have had that done with success. I believe there is a member that had the steering issue occur again.
1000 mms isn't very far (3.28 ft). I assume you meant kms.;)
You would have to check out the thread that was started initially for this problem.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=320445&highlight=steering

Peter

Hi Zipper84,

I'm Crystal, and as Peter stated, I'm the new Ford customer service rep on this forum. Since you live in Canada (I assume, based on your mention of Celsius), your next step of action is getting Ford Canada involved so that they can assist. You can reach them at 1-800-565-3673.

Let me know how things go with your Explorer.

Crystal

Hello and yes I'm from almost end of the road Manitoba Canada. It actually has 863 Kim's on it. It's at the dealership now but no rental vehicle supplied or anything. And it might take a week to get them to look at it. So now we have a brand new vehicle making payment on it sitting at a dealership. And crystal do you know if this problem keeps coming up because like I mentioned if lose power steering 300 miles from the next town in -40 and maybe might see another vehicle in a night. Isn't very reliable. Plus no cell phone service in that 300 miles so I don't want to even put my wife and new born in those situations. I hope someone can help us because I think we r starting to shop for a new vehicle soon. If it was just me not to bad but putting family at risk isn't in my best interest.

Hello and yes I'm from almost end of the road Manitoba Canada. It actually has 863 Kim's on it. It's at the dealership now but no rental vehicle supplied or anything. And it might take a week to get them to look at it. So now we have a brand new vehicle making payment on it sitting at a dealership. And crystal do you know if this problem keeps coming up because like I mentioned if lose power steering 300 miles from the next town in -40 and maybe might see another vehicle in a night. Isn't very reliable. Plus no cell phone service in that 300 miles so I don't want to even put my wife and new born in those situations. I hope someone can help us because I think we r starting to shop for a new vehicle soon. If it was just me not to bad but putting family at risk isn't in my best interest.

I definitely understand your concern, Zipper84. I currently only have the ability to escalate cases for our customers in the United States, but I'm certain my colleagues at Ford Canada (1-800-565-3673) will do what they can to assist you.

Crystal

Hello just wondering if ford has a fix for this yet. The vehicle is in the shop. I don't care that they say they will look at it. I just dont want it to happen again. I have been reading forums all night and I wish I would have heard about this before we bought the vehicle. Now I guess we will have to bite the bullet and jet trade in for a different SUV if no fixes. For as big of a company as ford I can't believe they r putting people's lives at risk with this. And now no courtesy vehicle as of yet. All they can say is oh we will get back to you. First ford and I can guess its the last. Hope for a fix so we can at least use it again to put at least 1000kms on it. Very disgruntled now. I have better ways of spending $60000.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Zipper84
Firstly you can call Ford Canada customer service to seek help to get you a rental. They gave me one for a warranty fix just in the past weekend.

Secondly, I was also frustrated that a car in its first few years under warranty need be towed for fix. I was lucky that I didn't have my 18 month old with me when mine broke on road and it was snowing. I understand there is no perfect car but cars less than three years old need be towed for warranty fix means low quality control.

Ford customer service (I mean those 800 number guys) is good though - they towed my car with quick response time and many follow up calls and gave me a rental.

Back