Power steering

Digitalgp

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Hudson valley
Year, Model & Trim Level
‘15 XLT
My ‘15 xlt is giving me issues with the power steering. The other day going into work the power steering assist felt very weak. It wasn’t gone but the steering required more effort than usual. On top of that there are no lights on. I remembered reading in the past to restart and the power steering would work again, but that was on cases where the power assist was completely lost and the light was on. When I did restart it there was no difference. Everything I read pertains to the earlier years like ‘11-13 where there was a recall, but in my case since mine was not part of that recall I would have to pay out of pocket. From what I am told it can be anything from a simple reflash to most likely a $1400 rack from the dealer not including any additional hardware or labor.

Are there any good aftermarket options out there or is OE or used the only way to go?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm not aware of anyone having installed an aftermarket unit. Also, according to posts in the thread about the power steering issue, a reflash was not the answer. Basically, it was just a waste of time getting it done.

Peter

That sucks. I did find a couple reman units after searching online. The only one I would trust is the Napa which is $700-something & comes with a limited lifetime warranty on parts only. I definitely want a decent warranty with a pricy job like this. The only other option is used & those run about as much as the remans & obviously the warranty varies from 30-90 days or some I can purchase to upgrade up to a year...still parts only and used can be dicey. Despite the cost I still like the idea of the Ford one since they're supposed to have updates on it & the 2 year unlimited warranty with parts & labor coverage which it probably where everyone is at when it comes to this.

I haven't driven it all weekend, but this morning I had to take it into work since my wife needed her car & my other car is out of commission. The strange thing is still no light or warning on & the power assist did come back online as I was driving, but went out again as I was driving on my lunch break. Am I causing any more damage by driving without the assist like on a hydraulic system?

To follow up, I had a new rack put in. Driving home I thought to myself it feels nice to have power steering again, but also thought the steering feels a little on the heavy side. This morning driving into work it was back to what it was doing before and now I am very livid. No warning light. Idk what else it could possibly be. Looks like its going back to the shop....

Did you go with the NAPA one or an OEM? Perhaps the issue is with the Electronic Power Assisted Steering (EPAS) system itself.

Peter

I ended up biting the bullet and purchasing the Ford rack which my mechanic seemed to prefer doing. I was lucky enough he passed along his wholesale discount to me which was still a crapload of money, but still helped save a good chunk. I am not really understanding what you mean by an issue with the EPAS system. I thought everything was integrated into the rack

I got #1 in that diagram which is everything in that box. Ford p/n EB5Z-3504-U. I also did new outer tie rods as well and then the needed exhaust gaskets and hardware.

Anyway as it turns out the rack was never the problem. They found the u-joint in the steering shaft was seizing which makes sense because everything related to the rack from what I read should set off the warning on the cluster. Needless to say I am beyond livid!

Back