Winter Tire and Wheel Recommendations | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Winter Tire and Wheel Recommendations

BUMP!!

Looking for OEM 17" or 18" rims with TPMS...anyone know the best place to find these...preferably canada so I Don't have to pay hardcore shipping?
I bought mine from the my dealership. 17" base model steel wheels were $99.95 each and the sensors were $56.60 each. I also bought the base model wheel covers @ $41.07 each. The BFG Winter Slaloms KSI were $169.45 each which was about $35 - $40 less than what Canadian Tire wanted. A word of caution, if you elect to go with the wheel covers, you will also require new lugnuts. The lugnuts on the Limited will not hold the covers in place. I got the proper lugnuts for $12.57 each x 20 = $251.40.
I think the parts manager mentioned that the 2013 wheels changed from the 2011/2012 models. If you go this route, make sure that the base model wheels will fit your Limited.
I had no problems at all with the 2011 Limited I have.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I bought mine from the my dealership. 17" base model steel wheels were $99.95 each and the sensors were $56.60 each. I also bought the base model wheel covers @ $41.07 each. The BFG Winter Slaloms KSI were $169.45 each which was about $35 - $40 less than what Canadian Tire wanted. A word of caution, if you elect to go with the wheel covers, you will also require new lugnuts. The lugnuts on the Limited will not hold the covers in place. I got the proper lugnuts for $12.57 each x 20 = $251.40.
I think the parts manager mentioned that the 2013 wheels changed from the 2011/2012 models. If you go this route, make sure that the base model wheels will fit your Limited.
I had no problems at all with the 2011 Limited I have.

Peter

Thanks for the info. I got quoted from a dealership in Toronto @ $310+tax for the 17" OEM Steel Rims and 245/65R17 Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1 for $911 taxes in and mounted from Costco.

My only issue is driving to Toronto (living just outside of Sudbury). Anyone heading up north? I'd be willing to pay you to deliver (if its convenient).

Matt

Thanks for the info. I got quoted from a dealership in Toronto @ $310+tax for the 17" OEM Steel Rims and 245/65R17 Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1 for $911 taxes in and mounted from Costco.

My only issue is driving to Toronto (living just outside of Sudbury). Anyone heading up north? I'd be willing to pay you to deliver (if its convenient).

Matt
Did you get a price on those tires from your dealer as well? I know here they have a slogan that says they will not be undersold on tires.
Good luck.

Peter

Did you get a price on those tires from your dealer as well? I know here they have a slogan that says they will not be undersold on tires.
Good luck.

Peter

Unless things are different north of the border, Ford does not sell Bridgestone tires. I assume that this goes back to the Firestone/Explorer fiasco.

Unless things are different north of the border, Ford does not sell Bridgestone tires. I assume that this goes back to the Firestone/Explorer fiasco.
Just checked with my dealer's parts department and YES, they do have/sell Bridgestone tires.

Peter

Just checked with my dealer's parts department and YES, they do have/sell Bridgestone tires.

Peter

You are correct. Ford Canada lists 13 tire brands while there are only 11 listed in the US. Bridgestone and Firestone are not on the US list. My Blizzaks are on the way from Tire Rack. The Explorer Sport is not yet on its way (or even scheduled) from Ford.

Good luck.

Peter

You have to present them with an ad from a competitor. How would I go about doing that from Costco? All I got was a phone quote.

You have to present them with an ad from a competitor. How would I go about doing that from Costco? All I got was a phone quote.
I wasn't aware they required an ad. I didn't even shop around when I got my BFG's. Found out after that CTC wanted about $35.tire more. Did you get a dealer price on the DM-V1 tires? Were they close to Costco? I don't know if they will accept a written quote or not.
Did the cost of the rims from TO include the TPMS or are they separate?
For your info, they are not required by law for your Winter wheels. Not sure what that would do as far as the monitoring system goes.

Peter

I got quoted $1583.54 for 17" OEM Rims, TPMS and 245/65T17 Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1 from a Ford Dealer...seems like a great deal to me.

Just waiting to see if my FIL is going to jump on his as well.

Is the Michelin X-Ice Xi2 available in a 245/65R17...michelin's website says no...ford's tire centre says yes....confused.

Apparently they have better wear than the Blizzak's.

Is the Michelin X-Ice Xi2 available in a 245/65R17...michelin's website says no...ford's tire centre says yes....confused.

Apparently they have better wear than the Blizzak's.
According to www.1010tires.com, they do come in that size. They list 2 types but one is sold out. As for the Blizzak, treadwear received a 3.2 out of 5. No customer reviews on the Xi2. I use this site quite extensively. It also lets you compare different tire sizes against the OEM's to see if they are suitable. It is a Canadian site.

Peter

According to www.1010tires.com, they do come in that size. They list 2 types but one is sold out. As for the Blizzak, treadwear received a 3.2 out of 5. No customer reviews on the Xi2. I use this site quite extensively. It also lets you compare different tire sizes against the OEM's to see if they are suitable. It is a Canadian site.

Peter

Thanks for the link!
Costco/My Dealer is still cheaper when it comes to prices though.

Is there any potential issues with not getting the TPMS? I'm debating whether then extra $280+tax is really worth it.

The only potential issue is there will be a flashing light on my dash and an occasional chime?

Would the Explorer automatically recognize the TPMS from my stock tires when I put them back on in the summer?

Anyone here running winter tires without the TPMS?

Is there any potential issues with not getting the TPMS? I'm debating whether then extra $280+tax is really worth it.

The only potential issue is there will be a flashing light on my dash and an occasional chime?

Would the Explorer automatically recognize the TPMS from my stock tires when I put them back on in the summer?

Anyone here running winter tires without the TPMS?
I know that my former Toyota dealer had a little sticker you could put over the TPMS warning light. I don't believe there is an audible alarm. The system should recognize the stock tires/TPMS when they are re-installed.
I have read posts that the system has actually recognized the OEM tires stored in the owner's garage and reset itself for a period of time before showing the alarm again.
My sensors from the dealer were $56.60 each for a total of $226.40 + tax.

Peter

I know that my former Toyota dealer had a little sticker you could put over the TPMS warning light. I don't believe there is an audible alarm. The system should recognize the stock tires/TPMS when they are re-installed.
I have read posts that the system has actually recognized the OEM tires stored in the owner's garage and reset itself for a period of time before showing the alarm again.
My sensors from the dealer were $56.60 each for a total of $226.40 + tax.

Peter

I can get the TPMS for $63+tax each...probably not going to get them. I bought Blizzak DM-V1 tires already....just looking for steel rims at the moment.

I can get the TPMS for $63+tax each...probably not going to get them. I bought Blizzak DM-V1 tires already....just looking for steel rims at the moment.

The TPMS are about $80 for a set of four on eBay. I don't know what it costs to get them across the border, but it seems like there should be significant savings.

The TPMS are about $80 for a set of four on eBay. I don't know what it costs to get them across the border, but it seems like there should be significant savings.
Is that for the Explorer and does it include the mounting kits?

Peter

Is that for the Explorer and does it include the mounting kits?

Peter

They claim to be OEM and to fit the Explorer. I don't know what mounting kits that they would require. I'm early in the TPMS research process. My wheels (XLT take-offs) and Blizzaks are in the garage, but the Ex Sport hasn't been built. Here are several eBay lisitings with various levels of detail and similar prices.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160899946440

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290734395660

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190682069930

They claim to be OEM and to fit the Explorer. I don't know what mounting kits that they would require. I'm early in the TPMS research process. My wheels (XLT take-offs) and Blizzaks are in the garage, but the Ex Sport hasn't been built. Here are several eBay lisitings with various levels of detail and similar prices.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160899946440

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290734395660

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190682069930

They usually require some kind of mounting or fitting kit when they are installed. The Ford parts website shows two them with two different frequencies. The part number is 1A189 and then you have two frequencies. TPMS-23 is 433MHZ and TPMS-12 is 315MHZ. They installed the TPMS-12 in my Winter wheels.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Winter Tires

I have a 2012 LTD and plan on getting winter tires this year. Right now I have 20 inch tires. If I want to downsize the winter tires how low should I go? I was thinking 18 inch but I have seen people on here talking about 17 inch as well.

Back